CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hey guys, remember when SW: Attack of the Clones did 150 million less than the movie before it? That franchise never recovered! How about when Harry Potter 3 dropped about 75 million from the first one in the franchise? God, what a flop! They should have cancelled that when they had the chance! 

Lol, you're acting like I'm saying the franchise can NEVER recover from this. All I've ever said is that THIS movie is a big fat disappointment that fell below even the most modest predictions. I'm also saying that they need to get it together going forward, because this kind of drop to such low admissions has kicked off a series of franchise low points in the past. Never Say Never Again dropped to the 20m admissions range and subsequently kicked off the franchise low of the 80's films. The series finally had to be put on hold for awhile and then 6 years alter they rebooted. Obviously the reboot worked, but it was far from a guarantee it would. The franchise was in legitimate danger of dying back then. Why would we want that same situation to happen again?

Oh sure we're not to that point yet of course, and they could probably revive it years down the road if it we got to that point again, but why take that risk? If the next Bond is just another Bond with Craig and not much has been done to up the ante, we will be getting another drop domestically and the franchise will be in a bad place. They need to take the steps to avoid that. Ignoring Spectre's performance and doing more of the same will be a dire mistake. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Nothing would get me less excited for the next one than Craig not returning. He needs a good send-off, and so many people are attached to him as Bond. Spectre doesn't feel like a finale at all or even a good Bond film

I actually thought the ending of the film was be a nice way for him to end as Bond, if he doesn't come back. However, I would like a movie on at least the level of Skyfall as a send-off.

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Except none of that is factually accurate. Roger Moore movies fluctuated wildly leading up to a View to Kill. A View to Kill WAS a domestic low.....but it never had another release after. So you can't say it "got worse and worse" when they never made another Moore Bond. You're extrapolating to data that does not exist. Dalton did two Bond movies. That is a tiny sample size. LTK came out in a hugely stacked 1989. If they released an awesome Dalton Bond in 1992 with great reviews, for all we know it could have been a huge hit. A sample size of two movies is not a trend. And Brosnan. DAD was the highest grossing Brosnan bond movie! And then he never did another one. So it hits a domestic high for the franchise...and then he does no more. Hardly a "downward trend." Hell, DAD did more than CR did four years later, which was one of your beloved reboots of the franchise! So there goes that argument. 

The franchise was dying in the 80's and you will not tell me differently. For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, and Never Say Never Again all did poorly by the franchise's standards in the early 80's. Then the subsequent releases, A View to a Kill, The Living Daylights, and License to Kill all got progressively even worse. You better believe that a movie like License to Kill's ADJUSTED $72m looked dismal for the franchise's future. Hence why it went quiet for so long while they got a reboot right, because The Living Daylights was a reboot gone wrong and the franchise wouldn't have stood for another one of those. So the point stands. The last time a Bond movie got down near the 20m admissions range after coming off several successful films, it set off an all downhill chain reaction  for a long time. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Nothing would get me less excited for the next one than Craig not returning. He needs a good send-off, and so many people are attached to him as Bond. Spectre doesn't feel like a finale at all or even a good Bond film

tbf none of the bonds get a good send off. they just get a total dumpster fire for a last movie and then eon goes "mayb we should stop". spectre isn't quite that bad so one more is needed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, you're acting like I'm saying the franchise can NEVER recover from this. All I've ever said is that THIS movie is a big fat disappointment that fell below even the most modest predictions. I'm also saying that they need to get it together going forward, because this kind of drop to such low admissions has kicked off a series of franchise low points in the past. Never Say Never Again dropped to the 20m admissions range and subsequently kicked off the franchise low of the 80's films. The series finally had to be put on hold for awhile and then 6 years alter they rebooted. Obviously the reboot worked, but it was far from a guarantee it would. The franchise was in legitimate danger of dying back then. Why would we want that same situation to happen again?

Oh sure we're not to that point yet of course, and they could probably revive it years down the road if it we got to that point again, but why take that risk? If the next Bond is just another Bond with Craig and not much has been done to up the ante, we will be getting another drop domestically and the franchise will be in a bad place. They need to take the steps to avoid that. Ignoring Spectre's performance and doing more of the same will be a dire mistake. 

You are acting so bizarrely about this. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RichWS said:

You are acting so bizarrely about this. 

Because it makes no sense to me why most aren't recognizing how poor its DOM performance is, especially after their own predictions. I don't buy it's just a normal drop coming off of Skyfall. It is too severe for that and too much of a lowpoint in the modern franchise. Things went wrong and they need to fix them next time out. They can start by not resting on their laurels, and that goes for Craig just as much as the script. 

31 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I agree we shouldn't overreact because it's still going to make a huge amount of money. But I hope nobody does any revisionist history and go " it's doing exactly what everyone was expecting it to do" 

It's not doing what everyone was expecting it to do. it's doing what almost every other Bond movie has done. So it's fine. People just thought that Skyfall was the new normal, and they were wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The franchise was dying in the 80's and you will not tell me differently. For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, and Never Say Never Again all did poorly by the franchise's standards in the early 80's. Then the subsequent releases, A View to a Kill, The Living Daylights, and License to Kill all got progressively even worse. You better believe that a movie like License to Kill's ADJUSTED $72m looked dismal for the franchise's future. Hence why it went quiet for so long while they got a reboot right, because The Living Daylights was a reboot gone wrong and the franchise wouldn't have stood for another one of those. So the point stands. The last time a Bond movie got down near the 20m admissions range after coming off several successful films, it set off an all downhill chain reaction  for a long time. 

Dying? Octopussy sold more tickets than Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me, and FYEO only did as well as your average Moore film did, Moonraker aside. The franchise was just fine in the mid 80's. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Oddly the latter are the only two decent Roger Moore Films. 

I think Live and Let Die is actually pretty good too. I'm not the biggest Moore fan myself, although the scene of him dressing up as a clown in Octopussy, may have been a wink, wink from the producers and screenwriters, implying they knew how absurd the series has gotten. So-meta!

24 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Dying? Octopussy sold more tickets than Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me, and FYEO only did as well as your average Moore film did, Moonraker aside. The franchise was just fine in the mid 80's. 

That's not even close to true.  Octopussy sold lots of tickets in the US, but by the time the mid 80's ended, Bond had fallen off in both US and international markets.  A brief mild resurgence with TLD didn't last.

If you track ticket sales and adjusted dollars, there is a downward trend starting with Moonraker and ending with Licence to Kill.

8 minutes ago, Tubes said:

That's not even close to true.  Octopussy sold lots of tickets in the US, but by the time the mid 80's ended, Bond had fallen off in both US and international markets.  A brief mild resurgence with TLD didn't last.

If you track ticket sales and adjusted dollars, there is a downward trend starting with Moonraker and ending with Licence to Kill.

Octopussy actually did considerably better then FYEO in the U.S., so I'm not exactly sure if there was really a "downward trend" there, especially when ticket sales didn't rise that much in two years. 

Worldwide though, yeah, you got me there. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis