CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

The decline in Bond ticket sales happened in ernest in the US at AVTAK in 1985.  While that can be blamed on an ageing Moore outlasting his audience, the Dalton period that succeeded it didn't instill any confidence.  Internationally, it started earlier at Moonraker and fell more gradually throughout the decade.  Bond wouldn't reach the popularity levels of 60's and 70's abroad until Craig's tenure.

For what it's worth, the 6 year gap between LTK and GE had little to do with the box office in the 80's and more to do with financial issues at MGM and lawsuits between EON and MGM's new owners.  If it wasn't for that, a third Dalton film between 1991 and 1993 likely would have happened.

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yeah, the next Bond film with Dalton they wanted to do was The Property of a Lady or something, but the financial issues caused him to back out of the role. 

Not so much the issues themselves, but the production delays lead to Dalton not really caring about the part anymore.  Shame.

For the record, the biggest unadjusted Bond film pre GoldenEye was Moonraker at $210 million worldwide and $70 million domestic.

5 minutes ago, Tubes said:

Not so much the issues themselves, but the production delays lead to Dalton not really caring about the part anymore.  Shame.

For the record, the biggest unadjusted Bond film pre GoldenEye was Moonraker at $210 million worldwide and $70 million domestic.

Dalton's Bond is pretty much the closest interpretation of James Bond from the Ian Fleming books too. Would have been cool if he had more than two films, but I'm not complaining. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

1 hour ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yeah, the next Bond film with Dalton they wanted to do was The Property of a Lady or something, but the financial issues caused him to back out of the role. 

There were financial issues that dragged out the films but when it came time to make another Bond movie John Caley of MGM refused to greenlight a Bond film with Dalton.  Cubby Broccoli still wanted Dalton and wasn't going to fire him.  That's why Dalton resigned - after 5 years of Bond inactivity but saying would still be Bond, in the spring of 1994 - after a script for Goldeneye had been written and production was due to start in a few months.  Brosnan was announced a couple months later.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I just don't think Craig's Bond gets

Hidden Content

That's because there just cannot be too many

Spoiler

sacrificial lambs in a Craig Bond.  He even gets an extra dead parental figure in his past with Obenhauser.  That brings the total to 4 when we add in M.  Add in 4 dead girls and one colleague tossed in a dumpster (who lived in the books) and no one is safe from a fridging.

I think many thought including Dalton thought Bond was likely finished for good since the Berlin Wall came down and the Cold War ended during the hiatus and many thought Bond was a relic of that period, Goldeneye being successful proved that the franchise could reinvent it for the new era. IMO the six year hiatus was a blessing in disguise since it allowed audiences to have a rest from annual Bond films and actually miss it and yearn for its return. We've seen this with other franchises like Jurassic World, Planet of the Apes, Batman etc 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Well, I went into this tonight expecting a catastrophe given all the comments around here and came out reasonably impressed. I enjoyed the stylings, most of the set pieces, the nods to earlier Bond artifacts and history, and the chemistry between Craig and Seydoux. I think it ties up the Craig Bonds reasonably well without expecting extensive recollection of the previous films. The humour struck the right note. (Comparing this to a Moore flick is a real stretch: I laughed at points without ever feeling Spectre was lampooning itself.)

There are some flat aspects that others have mentioned. Waltz is a real dud -- outside the Tarantino oeuvre his schtick just feels like overacting. The third act momentum teeters, the climax is so-so, and it does run too long. These are significant quibbles to be sure but not enough to spoil the film. I think the gnashing of teeth over Spectre is overblown. It will hold up reasonably well in the Bond canon and its box office trajectory seems solid enough right now.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

Well, I went into this tonight expecting a catastrophe given all the comments around here and came out reasonably impressed. I enjoyed the stylings, most of the set pieces, the nods to earlier Bond artifacts and history, and the chemistry between Craig and Seydoux. I think it ties up the Craig Bonds reasonably well without expecting extensive recollection of the previous films. The humour struck the right note. (Comparing this to a Moore flick is a real stretch: I laughed at points without ever feeling Spectre was lampooning itself.)

There are some flat aspects that others have mentioned. Waltz is a real dud -- outside the Tarantino oeuvre his schtick just feels like overacting. The third act momentum teeters, the climax is so-so, and it does run too long. These are significant quibbles to be sure but not enough to spoil the film. I think the gnashing of teeth over Spectre is overblown. It will hold up reasonably well in the Bond canon and its box office trajectory seems solid enough right now.

I pretty much agree except I don't think Waltz was a real dud, just underused.  I'd easily take it over the last 3 Brosnan films and Quantum of Water(or whatever the hell was going on in that mess).  You have some people(including some actual critics) calling it the worst Bond in 30 years, and thats just completely baffling to me.  It seems the revelations in the 3rd act really triggered some people.  Heh, whatever, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Well directed and impeccably shot.

• Like 6

Just now, Ozymandias said:

I pretty much agree except I don't think Waltz was a real dud, just underused.  I'd easily take it over the last 3 Brosnan films and Quantum of Water(or whatever the hell was going on in that mess).  You have some people(including some actual critics) calling it the worst Bond in 30 years, and thats just completely baffling to me.  It seems the revelations in the 3rd act really triggered some people.  Heh, whatever, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Well directed and impeccably shot.

Call me baffled too. At first I thought British critics might be viewing it through rose-coloured glasses but having seen it I think there may be something opposite at work in the States -- a tendency after Skyfall to set way too high a bar on what is, after all, escapist cinema. It is indeed well directed and well shot and if this were a different franchise or a stand alone film I think it would have a 75 or 80% critic rating, last act weaknesses notwithstanding.

13 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Because it makes no sense to me why most aren't recognizing how poor its DOM performance is, especially after their own predictions. I don't buy it's just a normal drop coming off of Skyfall. It is too severe for that and too much of a lowpoint in the modern franchise. Things went wrong and they need to fix them next time out. They can start by not resting on their laurels, and that goes for Craig just as much as the script. 

The box office is in a bit of a slump. Sometimes, it's not just the movie at hand.

1 hour ago, lab276 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt like they were really trying to mark the end of the Craig era though, he basically rides off into the sunset at the end.

Same here. But the end was a little atypical for a Bond movie

Don't think so. Lot depended on China, but the WOM seems to be really bad. Hopefully it gets to 110-115m there. UK is really good and the difference between skyfall and it there will be much less than what we thought. France got a record OD and will almost definitely well outgross Skyfall. This combined with the near 200m in US would put it at a disadvantage of around 60m compared to Skyfall. Seeing as Skyfall made 1.16B that means it only needs to lose less than 100m in all the other markets. It will lose some in some markets, will increase in some, especially the growing ones, and will remain stable in some. So I think it can happen. Will come pretty close atleast.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 3