ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

7 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Welp. I just hope this doesn’t impact Gaga’s acting career too much. 

It will but let's see if she can bounce form it. After all, Sandra Bullock bounced from Speed 2 and that had the added humiliation of the leading man dropping out. 

Joaquin is a man with a long-established film career. That will help him. 

Edited by Flopped

4 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It will but let's see if she can bounce form it. After all, Sandra Bullock bounced from Speed 2 and that had the added humiliation of the leading man dropping out. 

Joaquin is a man with a long-established film career. That will help him. 

What hurts Joaquin is he now has a reputation of dropping out of movies at the last minute. He’s done it like three times now?

28 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Critics pan most DC movies. I just don’t see how a movie with great acting, cinematography, some clever ideas and well executed musical numbers can be getting panned to this degree. Critics are supposed to give artists a bit of room if they try something new writhing a stale genre I thought. No goodwill is being afforded to this movie. 

Critics pan most DC movies and audience also reject those movies. And it's not like Joker was same old CBM movie . It was different but Todd missed 2nd one. So yeah ur argument doesn't hold true

Not 37% verified audience score already , this is insane 

There´s something fascinating tho about these types of train wrecks, it feels like a very rare type of utterly rejection and angriness. If the intent was to make fans mad, he succeeded to a point that this is going down as an historic bomb lol

At least will be remembered forever 

• Like 2

> Be Todd Philips

> pitch movie to studio

> studio is reluctant to greenlight

> take a backend deal to secure funding for movie

> Movie is a massive hit, loved by audiences, get a shitton of money

> studio is cucked out of a payday for first movie, ask you to do a sequel

> Reluctant to do a sequel but you agree with a massive upfront payment

> Make the sequel a cynical takedown that is rejected by audiences

> Movie flops

> You still get a massive payday due to your deal.

> Studio gets no money from the backend

> Do it Again 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wattage said:

Madame Web was funny bad at least 

Joker 2 looks so much better than the average comic book movie. It has so many standout performances, and a lot of clever and creative scenes. I just don't understand the panning. I think these comic book fans are a bit married to "their take" on how characters are supposed to be, and it's really stymieing the movie business.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Critics pan most DC movies. I just don’t see how a movie with great acting, cinematography, some clever ideas and well executed musical numbers can be getting panned to this degree. Critics are supposed to give artists a bit of room if they try something new writhing a stale genre I thought. No goodwill is being afforded to this movie. 

Joker 1 was fresh on RT, even if it was narrowly. This isn't some anti-DC critics thing. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Never would have expected this to be 2024s Babylon. 

Babylon had much better reception. This feels more like a comic book version of The Counselor, incredibly hated movie by both critics and general audience with a couple of 10/10 reviews in between (I absolutely adore The Counselor btw)

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

Babylon had much better reception. This feels more like a comic book version of The Counselor, incredibly hated movie by both critics and general audience with a couple of 10/10 reviews in between (I absolutely adore The Counselor btw)

Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2 is a comparison a YouTuber made that I think is fairly accurate. 

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Joker 2 looks so much better than the average comic book movie. It has so many standout performances, and a lot of clever and creative scenes. I just don't understand the panning. I think these comic book fans are a bit married to "their take" on how characters are supposed to be, and it's really stymieing the movie business.

It certainly looks better but I'm not going to say it's a better film just because of that. Lady Gaga is spending most of her screentime trying to make her character work with the limited stuff she gets. Phoenix is doing just about as good a performance as the first movie, not better or worse. And I think it has maybe 2 scenes I thought were actually genuinely good, Puddles on the stand and the beginning of the cracks of the facade, and the combined sequences of Harley and Arthur doing the "show" and then her shooting him, not shooting him, back to shooting him through line through the movie I think was a very well done way to show how she was manipulating and then discarded him once he didn't fulfill the fantasy and wasn't the symbol she wanted him too be. Edit: the animated intro as well as the thesis of the film, so 3 scenes. And it was a lot more scenes that were droning, miserable, plodding, repetitive, with poorly staged musical numbers sprinkled throughout.

I agree that in general comic book movie fans more than other fans tend to have "their take" on what these characters are supposed to be. Anything that runs counter to that is gonna be called the worst thing ever made even if it's pretty good or even if it's an interesting take. And even if it's bad but not atrocious it'll get panned as worse than objectively worse films that appealed to the "fan" in them. And that has no bearing on the fact that I still think this film fails at being pretty much every genre it was trying to be and I think it genuinely was a waste of a concept on a deeper level and was very dull. So it doesn't surprise me that more serious critics hate it. On a "fan" level it has nothing to offer so the funko critics hate it too. And then we find ourselves where we are today.

Some critics are similar to me in that we're much more critical of movies that are actually trying to do something and failing spectacularly in our opinion vs something that you walk in knowing is gonna be mildly amusing fluff and nothing else. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 3

Also RT I think the usual lack of understanding about how the system works is driving discourse around it too. The average rating I think is right on target. 5.2/10 for all critics and 4.8/10 for top critics. About 5/10, that's where I'd put it. Not a passing grade but it's got enough in there that I can give it a 2.5/5 stars. A lot of critics think it's rotten, and I agree, but not that it's the worst thing ever made 0/10 so not watch. That's more an extreme fan reaction that's happening.