Neo

The New Mutants | August 28, 2020 | Rumors are saying it released, but no one we know saw it

5 hours ago, Psylocke said:

I Wonder because of the budget what happens if this movie become a huge success, would sequel still be planned in spite of the X-Men coming to the MCU?

I think this makes $20M tops. Awareness for this film simply won't be there. Disney aint spending a dime more than they have to on marketing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meridan said:

This movie releases 1 week after Mulan & 1 week before No Time to Die. Disney gives zero fucks about this movie. 

2 weeks after AQP2

1 week after Mulan 

Same week as Peter Rabbit 2

1 week before No Time to die 

#4 - #7 - out of theaters. Great job getting another flop to their collection.

7 hours ago, Psylocke said:

I Wonder because of the budget what happens if this movie become a huge success, would sequel still be planned in spite of the X-Men coming to the MCU?

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

Disney aint spending a dime more than they have to on marketing.

This. Even if the new trailer gets great reception, they won't spend much on P&A. This is sad, but at least it will be released. I'll be there on OD :bop:

14 hours ago, meridan said:

This movie releases 1 week after Mulan & 1 week before No Time to Die. Disney gives zero fucks about this movie. :hahaha:

It does sound like under the terms of the Fox Merger, Disney has legal obligations to give this film a theartrical release, and are going to do so spending as little money as possible. It's called dumping.

I love the way the fanboys just will not see the obivious with this film.

And, yeah, citing a couple of people "Loving the film in advance screenings" by a fansite for the film is real reliable evidence. Every huge flop has reports of a people "loving it in advance screenings".

Fanboys just don't get that presenting crap from a fansite with nothing to back it up is not going to strike most people are really reliable evidence. Worst thing about over the top Fanboism is the way it makes people live in their own little reality.

9 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why would New Mutants be a hit? 

Damn good question, since two studios have treated this film like it was a  total,doomed mess.

Of course the answer is some fanbois just will not let go and accept reality.

21 hours ago, TLK said:

I wonder what Fox would've done with it on an alternative timeline where the Disney/Fox merger never happened. My guess is that they would've released it last August after some reshoots.

The point is that Fox was dragging it's feet on reshoots, though they green lighted them for Dark Phoenix.  I think Fox and Disney had the same opinion:It was a mess that reshoots were unlikely to save. And that NM had a small budget made it disposable, whereas Phoenix's budget was so big they had to make an effort to save it.

Not gonna lie, I keep forgetting this movie exists. The crazy thing is that I was actually kind of looking forward to it back when it was first announced, but between the Disney merger and the constant delays, I’ve just lost interest. I guess I’ll still see it, since the idea of a superhero horror film is an interesting idea, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up being one of those PG-13 horror films. 

43 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not gonna lie, I keep forgetting this movie exists. The crazy thing is that I was actually kind of looking forward to it back when it was first announced, but between the Disney merger and the constant delays, I’ve just lost interest. I guess I’ll still see it, since the idea of a superhero horror film is an interesting idea, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up being one of those PG-13 horror films. 

A superhero horror film is a great idea, but everything points to it have been totally messed up in the execution.

Someone once said that Great Ideas are not that uncommon, what is uncommon and hard to do is to make them fulfill their promise.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Dark Phoenix couldn't gain traction at the box office but New Mutants will? The original trailer was bad, there is no reason to believe that New Mutants is secretly a good movie.

What happened with Dark Phoenix pretty much sealed the fate of New Mutants: Disney was not going to spend a dime on reshoots.and go with a dump release which would cost them as little as possible. I still think there is a very good chance that contractual obligations is the only reason Disney is giving this a theatrical release. And word was that NM was a worse mess then Phoenix was.

And they picked a release date that is pretty worthless:one week after they opened Mulan and a week before the next Bond film. if that does not smell of "dump" what does?

I just find that TWO different studios acted like this film belonged in a toxic waste dump goes over the head of the hardcore fanboys to be a good example of why fandom is getting a reputation for silly and stupid behavior.. GOod films do not sit rotting on the shelf for two years.

Edited by dudalb