Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

BRAVE has been a victim of a terrible release date. The competition is tough.

It has to be something else. The release date is great, the start of Summer Vacation in Japan. Cars 2 had bigger competition when it opened against Transformers 3 and had to deal with From Kokuriko Hill, Pokemon, and Harry Potter last year. Cars 2 did surprisingly well considering Cars wasn't that popular.

I'm thinking the weaker reviews and to a lesser extent, 3D, is hurting Brave more than films currently in release.

配給の東宝によると、細田監督の前作「サマーウォーズ」(09年)の16・5億円から2倍以上の40億円の興収を見込んでいるという。

http://hochi.yomiuri...25.htm?from=yol

Distributor Toho is expecting 'Wolf Children' to reach 4 billion yen ($50 million).

That means they're also expecting at least 400 million yen ($5 million) this weekend. Animated films usually get multipliers close to 10 or higher when released in the middle of July, except for Pokemon which settles for 7-8x each year since it's fanbase frontloaded.

I will caution again though that Toho very often projects the maximum potential for their films, so don't be surprised if it does a bit less than their expectations.

Edited by Corpse

The Wolf Children looks pretty good, I like Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is my favorite animated movie, Mamoru Hosoda has a promising career. What's the biggest gross for a non-Ghibli animation? Is it more than 50m?

It has to be something else. The release date is great, the start of Summer Vacation in Japan. Cars 2 had bigger competition when it opened against Transformers 3 and had to deal with From Kokuriko Hill, Pokemon, and Harry Potter last year. Cars 2 did surprisingly well considering Cars wasn't that popular.

I'm thinking the weaker reviews and to a lesser extent, 3D, is hurting Brave more than films currently in release.

Don't tell me CARS ll had better reviews than BRAVE?

I can't wait to see 'Wolf Children' and hope it becomes a big hit. I'd much rather see it than anything currently playing in the States. :P

Top Grossing Animated Films (¥3 billion+)

1. Spirited Away :: ¥30.4 billion ($244 million)

2. Howl's Moving Castle :: ¥22.0 billion ($207 million)

3. Princess Mononoke :: ¥19.3 billion ($165.5 million)

4. Ponyo :: ¥15.5 billion ($164 million)

5. Finding Nemo :: ¥11.0 billion ($102.4 million)

6. Toy Story 3 :: ¥10.80 billion ($130.7 million)

7. Monsters, Inc. :: ¥9.37 billion ($76.8 million)

8. The Borrower Arrietty :: ¥9.25 billion ($111.9 million)

9. Tales From Earthsea :: ¥7.65 billion ($62.9 million)

10. Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back! :: ¥7.54 billion ($67.8 million)

11. The Cat Returns :: ¥6.46 billion ($54.4 million)

12. Pokemon: The Power of One :: ¥6.36 billion ($64.8 million)

13. The Incredibles :: ¥5.26 billion ($51.1 million)

14. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: The Rise of Darkrai :: ¥5.02 billion ($47.2 million)

15. Up :: ¥5.0 billion ($60.5 million)

16. Dinosaur :: ¥4.90 billion ($42.1 million)

17. Pokemon: Spell of the Unown :: ¥4.85 billion ($45.8 million)

18. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Giratina and the Sky Warrior - Shaymin :: ¥4.80 billion ($53.3 million)

19. One Piece Film Strong World :: ¥4.80 billion ($58.1 million)

20. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Arceus and the Jewel of Life :: ¥4.67 billion ($51.6 million)

21. Pokemon Advanced: Jirachi - Wishmaker :: ¥4.50 billion ($38.4 million)

22. From Kokuriko Hill :: ¥4.47 billion ($57.8 million)

23. Pokemon Advanced: Destiny Deoxys :: ¥4.38 billion ($39.1 million)

24. Pokemon Best Wishes: White - Victini and Zekrom / Black - Victini and Reshiram :: ¥4.33 billion ($56.1 million)

25. Pokemon Advanded: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew :: ¥4.30 billion ($38.9 million)

26. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl: Zoroark - Master of Illusions :: ¥4.16 billion ($50.3 million)

27. Wall-E :: ¥4.0 billion ($44.2 million)

28. Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance :: ¥4.0 billion ($44.2 million)

29. Ratatouille :: ¥3.90 billion ($36.3 million)

30. Pokemon: Celebi - Voice of the Forest :: ¥3.90 billion ($32.5 million)

31. Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles :: ¥3.59 billion ($45.3 million)

32. Doraemon: Nobita's Great Adventure into the Underworld :: ¥3.54 billion ($30.0 million)

33. Detective Conan: The Raven Chaser :: ¥3.50 billion ($35.6 million)

34. Toy Story 2 :: ¥3.45 billion ($29.9 million)

35. Pokemon Advanced: Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea :: ¥3.40 billion ($28.2 million)

36. Detective Conan: The Phantom of Barker Street :: ¥3.40 billion ($30.3 million)

37. Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant Legend :: ¥3.37 billion ($32.1 million)

38. Detective Conan: The Eleventh Striker :: ¥3.28 billion ($42.3 million)

39. Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur :: ¥3.28 billion ($27.6 million)

40. Detective Conan: Crossroad in the Ancient Capital :: ¥3.20 billion ($28.6 million)

41. Detective Conan: Lost Ship in the Sky :: ¥3.20 billion ($35.2 million)

42. Doraemon: Nobita's Great Merman Sea Adventure :: ¥3.16 billion ($33.6 million)

43. Detective Conan: 15 Minutes of Silence :: ¥3.13 billion ($39.85 million)

44. Doraemon: Nobita and the Legend of the Sun King :: ¥3.05 billion ($29.0 million)

45. Doraemon: Nobita's Wannyan Space-Time Odyssey :: ¥3.05 billion ($28.9 million)

46. Detective Conan: The Private Eyes' Requiem :: ¥3.03 billion ($26.8 million)

47. Cars 2 :: ¥3.01 billion ($39.0 million)

48. Doramon: Nobita and the Winged Braves :: ¥3.0 billion ($25.8 million)

Edited by Corpse

Haha, I know. There are many good examples on why comparing USD totals can be really inaccurate due to the exchange rate in the chart I posted. Yen comparisons are always accurate though since ticket prices have remained the same for over a decade.

Are ticket prices likely to change at all either way?

Tickets have remained the same prices for nearly 15 years now so I'm doubting it's changed anytime soon. There have been polls and surveys conducted the past couple years where most favor lowering ticket prices (who wouldn't favor that though), so we'll see in the years to come if those change anything.But there are many ways to get discounted movie tickets. Literally every major chain offers various discounts that deal with age, injury, what days you see a movie, gender, groups, etc. Just about everyone is covered when it comes to discounted tickets.No weekend updates have been released yet, but I'll post anything that comes in tonight/this morning.

But there are many ways to get discounted movie tickets. Literally every major chain offers various discounts that deal with age, injury, what days you see a movie, gender, groups, etc. Just about everyone is covered when it comes to discounted tickets.

I get the discounts for kids/teens and for certain days of the week. But how does that gender thing work? Like... Girls pay less than boys?

I get the discounts for kids/teens and for certain days of the week. But how does that gender thing work? Like... Girls pay less than boys?

Yeah, women get half-off. It's called Ladies' Day and occurs every Wednesday at every major theater chain. For films that skew heavily female, Wednesday can be bigger than the Weekend gross.

July 21-22

Theater Chain Rankings

Toho

1 Umizaru: Brave Hearts (Toho) Week 2

2 The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Toho) NEW

3 Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Toho) Week 2

4 Brave (Disney) NEW

5 Heruta Skelter (Asmik Ace) Week 2

6 The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) Week 4

7 Go Anpanman! Revive Banana Island (Tokyo Theaters, Co.) Week 3

8 Thermae Romae (Toho) Week 13

9 Rinjo: The Movie (TOEI) Week 4

10 Glow of Fireflies (Toho) Week 7

Shikoku, Warner, and Sunshine rankings will be posted later tonight.

Edited by Corpse

Warner MyCal

2 The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Toho) NEW

3 Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Toho) Week 2

4 Brave (Disney) NEW

5 The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) Week 4

Edited by Corpse

Sunshine

2 Pokemon Best Wishes: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (Toho) Week 2

3 The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki (Toho) NEW

4 The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony) Week 4

5 Brave (Disney) NEW

... I'm doubting Brave even made 250 million yen ($3 million) this weekend.