Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I liked the movie but I didn't love it.  It did a lot of things right but it also changed some things or just ignored too much for me to love it.  I'd give it an 8/10 right now but that might go down tomorrow morning.  I think as a movie, it was good but as a massive fan of the book, they just kept too much out of it.

It was scary and they did hit upon a lot of the disturbing stuff with the adults.

• Like 3

I liked it well enough. The cast is great, both the excellent kids and Not Tarzan who is a much better Pennywise than Tim Curry (yup, that shit ain't aged well for me) - a truly memorable horror baddie for once. It is very well shot and mounted with some killer scary setpieces, it's both seriously funny and often quite scary....but it feels like the whole doesn't add up to more than the parts. There's not a consistent feeling of dread or scary atmosphere built up, and the film could have used more time to breathe, especially in the early going. Pacing felt off, just jumping from big scene to big scene just when it starts to settle in - kinda felt like Spider-Man Homecoming in that regard. But still, in the moment, it's fun as heck. I do wish that it had held together better in terms of tone and pace - it goes from horror movie crossed with Stand By Me to slightly scary Avengers by the third act. But I enjoyed myself. And the emotional core was consistent, which helped.

• Like 1

Also, they gave the black kid and Jewish kid nothing to do! It was like Independence Day, only the exact opposite. I'm not saying that to be "PC", I just think they were seriously underwritten relative to the other five, who were great and given alot to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, they gave the black kid and Jewish kid nothing to do! It was like Independence Day, only the exact opposite. I'm not saying that to be "PC", I just think they were seriously underwritten relative to the other five, who were great and given alot to do.

I agree with this and what's annoying about this is that both Stan and Mike are very very well developed in the book.  Mike is actually very integral to the story and they made him an after thought in this film.  I didn't like that at all.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

If the Aussie to US thing were to hold and IT only had a 11 million dollar OD, that would be very disappointing.  An 11 million preview number would be outstanding.

I have to say that I feel Mike was just treated as a token black character. No need for the PC police, because really, he truly IS more developed in the book. I realize now that they could have fixed this up and had Mike play a more integral role. Like with Stan, he was sort of "just there." Mike was a key player in the novel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

I have to say that I feel Mike was just treated as a token black character. No need for the PC police, because really, he truly IS more developed in the book. I realize now that they could have fixed this up and had Mike play a more integral role. Like with Stan, he was sort of "just there." Mike was a key player in the novel.

And they left out the bird on Mike's end.  They made Ben the city historian when it was Mike.  Mike, as you said, in the book was very well developed.  I have no idea why they made him so insignificant here.  Also, they left out the mysticism.  I mean, at the end, they just beat Pennywise with bats and chains.  That makes no sense.  In the book, they beat him with their wit, intelligence and because they are kids, they have child like minds.  Eddie uses his placebo aspirator as battery acid.  And so on.  They missed the point of all of that.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

And they left out the bird on Mike's end.  They made Ben the city historian when it was Mike.  Mike, as you said, in the book was very well developed.  I have no idea why they made him so insignificant here.  Also, they left out the mysticism.  I mean, at the end, they just beat Pennywise with bats and chains.  That makes no sense.  In the book, they beat him with their wit, intelligence and because they are kids, they have child like minds.  Eddie uses his placebo aspirator as battery acid.  And so on.  They missed the point of all of that.  

They kinda showed that with the cattle gun it wasn't loaded but still damaged it. They did well enough showing they could only hurt it when they were no longer afraid of it and realized it was just reflecting their fears

3 hours ago, boomboom234 said:

They kinda showed that with the cattle gun it wasn't loaded but still damaged it. They did well enough showing they could only hurt it when they were no longer afraid of it and realized it was just reflecting their fears

Well, I disagree.  But I'm glad you liked it.

17 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The whole Ben and Mike thing made no sense to me. And it made the trailer somewhat misleading since Mike saying my Grandfather says this town's cursed makes him sound like he's staying the historian. Although I did like the change with his parents dying in the fire and that being his fear. My one complaint is that I wish it would have been a little more faithful to the book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I liked the movie but I didn't love it.  It did a lot of things right but it also changed some things or just ignored too much for me to love it.  I'd give it an 8/10 right now but that might go down tomorrow morning.  I think as a movie, it was good but as a massive fan of the book, they just kept too much out of it.

It was scary and they did hit upon a lot of the disturbing stuff with the adults.

There were portions of it that I loved and then there were areas where I felt like it needed to be longer and that they were rushing to get to the next thing to stay at a low run time (which allowed for less from the characters). I'm happy that it was not a jump scare fest and has some truly unsettling imagery. It's been awhile since I've seen that in a horror film. I want to see it again just for Pennywise's scenes because my expectations were through the roof and it was always going to have a hard time matching them.

I'm also at a B/B+ currently. There are some truly great things about it though and quite a few stand out scenes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Isn't the book like 1,100 pages? They can't keep everything in. Different medium completely. And there's going to be a part 2!

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Girl I was with wanted to leave after the blood/sink scene with Beverly. Going to hve to watch this sometime this weekend I guess, but it was pretty decent from what I had watched.

You should have told the pansy to fuck off on her own.

• Haha 2