Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

This movie gets a 9/10 from me! I enjoyed IT completely and it's a must see!:

Pros:

1- Great great casting! The kids are amazing. Fell in love with them all. The clown is creepy and twisted:

-Bill was amazing, the stutter was so on point it felt natural and I know what I'm talking about because I have kids in my life that stutter. His emotions are on point and you feel so much for him and how hard he's trying to find his missing brother.You gotta know how much a kid is suffering when he prefers to go into a horrifying demon infested house over his own house where he has to face his brother's empty room full of abandoned toys. Amazing performance and casting.

-Ben , this kid blew my mind away. The fatty of the group and one of the most lovable of them. Had real attachment to this kid.He felt so natural while facing bulling and felt so adorable when having a crush. Amazing casting and lovable performance.

-Beverly was phenomenal. This girl is so lovable and you feel so much for her. Her fears are so fucked up it tears your heart to shreds. Yet she's one of the bravest of the lot. She's kind and supportive to boost. Amazing casting , this girl has star written all over her so I hope this will not be the last we see from her ( or any of the other kids for that matter )

-Eddie was such a lovely surprise and one of my favorite kids! He's the kid who hates/fears germs and so is careful of how he walks and moves to the point it becomes an obstacle he has to overcome to play/follow his friends around in all different kinds of filthy places and gory stuff. He's also so natural at expressing his fears and you find yourself loving him more with every extra minute.I loved how they made it a point to show you that he's always the one paying attention enough to notice that one of his friends is missing at the last confrontation with penny,Which probably saved the lives of a couple of them. Amazing performance and a lovable character.

-Richie's performance was on point as well.Although he has a dirty mouth for a kid his age and for most of the movie he's somewhat selfish and rude , he still grows on you while you watch him stand up for his friends later even though he should be the one most terrified because he fears clowns!

-Stanley , when he first showed up in the movie I felt he's overly stiff and his performance was lesser in quality compared to his co-stars. But going deeper into the movie I've felt that the stiffness was actually part of his character traits since his father is strict and gives off the same vibe, so it's on purpose. When he was almost eaten by Penny later , his performance was amazing, you feel the fear choking him and taking over his mind and then he lashes out at his friends for not being there. That was one memorable scene and he has done it perfectly.

-Mike is the outsider of the group. The one who is home schooled and hunted by visions of his parents burning in the room next to him while he's unable to help. His performance might not be as strong as his co-stars but to be fair he didn't have a lot of screen time and I still ended up caring about him. His small screen time didn't stop him from being just as important to the overall losers club since he's the one who finally defeats/kills the bully turned psycho Henry. Ended up loving him and his was an okay performance.

-Pennywise the dancing clown , oh boy , this is another amazing performance. This clown was really creepy , twisted ( metaphorically and literary since he can twist his bones in such a creepy horrific way ) loved his movement and his facial expressions , his voice and his crazy laughing.Loved the way the camera was used around him to make us have a feel of how the kids see him as this horrific huge monster with insane reach with all that stretching of limps he can do. The design of this clown is also on point. This an amazing performance and if you have some kind of clown phobia you really shouldn't watch this movie!

2- Great and emotional story with great character development!

What can I say, IT hits you right in the feels! That's so rare in horror movies that you feel this is a gem. I cried in some points and almost cried in others. You feel genuine fear for the lives of these kids , specially if you hadn't read the novels and don't know if some of them will die or if they will all make it.

3- Good balance between Dark/Sad/tense/creepy moments and light/fun/bonding/touching moments:

This is a movie that knows how to balance between different tones without taking you out of the genre intended. You experience the creepy/tense and dark stuff horror movies usually have , but you also experience light/fun with some humor and touching bonding moments without it taking you out of the general horror movie feel. You certainly feel the weight of the deaths in this movie but you also feel the lightness of the great forming relationships between the losers club kids.

4-Great sound track!

The music was great and added so much to the feel of the movie. What is a horror movie without a track with some creepy singing and humming? IT comes with Pennywise so naturally!

Cons: ( mostly nitpicking but I'll list them anyways )

1- Some obvious CGI that wasn't really needed in this following particular scene:

I only have a problem with one scene in particular , when Ben was reading in the library and he notices a red balloon. I have no idea why they had to computerize the balloon when it would have been so much better to film it with a real balloon and probably easier too.

2- One character in particular needed more development:

The character of Mike needed more development, no question about it. His fear of fire and being the reason behind someone's death could have been used to create a beautiful arc for his character. He wasn't totally neglected , like I said above he still have an important role to play even if his screen time was small but it could have been better.

3- The rock fight:

While the scene as a whole was great and narrative-important  to see how our losers started to concur their fears by standing up together and for each other , it was exaggerated in terms of violence that I thought there was no way some of those kids didn't die while others aim directly at their sculls full force and with a huge rock. They should have made the rocks smaller or made them aim at hands and legs instead.  

Edited by Emerald kikyou
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Can't remember the last time there was this much hype for a movie with people at school.

Same here. The theater in the mall near my school will be packed throughout the weekend.

On 06/09/2017 at 2:54 PM, iJackSparrow said:

Critic Consensus is WAY too good for low 80s. This has high 80s with quite possibly low 90s written all over. 

It seems that I've predicted the RT watch quite right on this one. Excited to see this, just not sure if I'll be able to see it on theaters. I'll try next week if things calm down here in the front. 

8 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I wish there where more kids to kill off. It got a little repetitive that Pennywise kept failing. Show him be successful a bit more!

You probably felt that way because the ones who died where ones we didn't care about  or know about much/minus Georgie of course. But, I really didn't want any of the loses club kids to die so I'm not complaining.

Edited by Emerald kikyou

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It seems that I've predicted the RT watch quite right on this one. Excited to see this, just not sure if I'll be able to see it on theaters. I'll try next week if things calm down here in the front. 

Trust me , theaters is the way to see this. You should try and go :)

We're re-interrupting this thread with news of:

SHAY'S CINEMA SCHEDULE

As you may know, It opens tomorrow in Bulgaria against no other, but The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature. It will be a tough fight, quite even, but most bets go with the animated juggernaut.

Can you guess which movie I'm gonna see, first thing tomorrow?

You've guessed right: the illustrious animated squeakquel of the Korean mega-success of recent years. Then, I'm gonna see Logan Lucky, which also opens this weekend. I used to hate SODerbergh's cheap efforts with a passion some years ago - but then he took notice and went in semi-retirement, so I'm now willing to give the man another chance. THEN, I'm seeing Pirates 5, for the FIFTH time!! :)Yes, they are still showing it, FOUR months after it opened - and in a big hall too. People here just love fantasy - unlike a certain nation I hate.

And THEN, and only then, will I get to seeing IT - probably in two weeks time. THAT is how little I think of IT, horrors, and Stephen King in particular. (God, did he blow it with that Dark Tower. Hideous.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

Trust me , theaters is the way to see this. You should try and go :)

Yeah I need to get my car fixed, see a lady that I've been talking to for quite some time before she travels abroad, get back in time for my brother's birthday AND find time to hangout with some family members that are coming for the holiday weekend. I'll try to catch the film by Monday. I'm actually genuinely excited for this one. @Durden comparing it with Stranger Things is actually a high compliment for me, because I'm more interested in story than actual scares. So yeah, let's see if I can make it with my cousins this Monday. I'll pitch the idea. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought about going tomorrow and stopped myself - "What are we, made of money? Going to a movie not on Discount Sunday???"

Then I overheard my mother watching the news saying that Irma was going to hit FL on Sunday so I guess I'm going tomorrow. 

I hope I have a free popcorn...

Wait it's not even playing at my chosen theater :/ 

Edited by Morieris

Jesus Christ, what a great, fucking great movie!!!!! Amazing chemistry between the actors. Pennywise was intense and really scary for most of the scenes.

By the way, why is the movie so short? Time really flied fast and I thought it was a freaking 90 min flick!!! It's probably one of the best movies I've seen this year, that's for sure! :)

There were some tiny flaws here and there ( some sudden cuts and fast cut editing during 1 or 2 scenes ) but the movie is insanely great.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I thought about going tomorrow and stopped myself - "What are we, made of money? Going to a movie not on Discount Sunday???"

Then I overheard my mother watching the news saying that Irma was going to hit FL on Sunday so I guess I'm going tomorrow. 

I hope I have a free popcorn...

Wait it's not even playing at my chosen theater :/ 

Yeah, everywhere is closing early. I'll probably end up seeing this at some point during the week (when it won't be too crowded).

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Jesus Christ, what a great, fucking great movie!!!!! Amazing chemistry between the actors. Pennywise was intense and really scary for most of the scenes.

By the way, why is the movie so short? Time really flied fast and I thought it was a freaking 90 min flick!!! It's probably one of the best movies I've seen this year, that's for sure! :)

There were some tiny flaws here and there ( some sudden cuts and fast cut editing during 1 or 2 scenes ) but the movie is insanely great.

May I ask just how gruesome is the movie? Im really not into horror and I really want to see this I just wanna know what I should be expecting. I don’t really care about spoilers as I’ve read the book so please spoil away if you could.

• Like 1