A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

Genuinely crazy thing about this movie is how it was stuck in developmental hell for 3 decades (Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian was one of the punchlines in the Kevin Smith Superman video from 2 decades ago), and how the success of Wednesday pretty much fast tracked it in a big way. Like it went from zero to 100 within 3 months.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, grim22 said:

Genuinely crazy thing about this movie is how it was stuck in developmental hell for 3 decades (Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian was one of the punchlines in the Kevin Smith Superman video from 2 decades ago), and how the success of Wednesday pretty much fast tracked it in a big way. Like it went from zero to 100 within 3 months.

Yeah.

Like, not to date it too much, but even just this specific sequel attempt originally started out being written by the "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" guy and had Chloë Grace Moretz in the daughter role.

The success of Wednesday definitely helped (I think it’s creators are writing the current script too), but I imagine WB’s confidence in The Flash and Keaton’s return also gave this film a boost.

• Like 1

its not just that, nostalgia sequels after Maverick, all studios are looking at 80s properties that they can refresh 

On 5/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, kayumanggi said:

I could've sworn he and Burton had worked together before so consider me surprised this is really their first collaboration. Really hoping this is at least decent with the way the cast is shaping up so far.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 6:52 AM, CoolioD1 said:

I know Wednesday is what really blew her up but becoming the next Tim Burton girl probably isn’t the smartest move these days.

Why not? Aside from Lisa Marie, all his leading ladies still have successful acting careers.

Something that I've recently found interesting about Burton is that for someone with such a strong reputation for working with the same people repeatedly on both side of the camera, he's never really developed that kind of long-term relationship with any of the cinematographers he's worked with (Czapsky, Rousselot, and Delbonnel did 3 films each with him, and Wolski did two).

So I'm curious to see who he'll be working with on this film in that role.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:52 PM, ddddeeee said:

Catherine O'Hara's return being buried in an article about another cast member's casting. 💀

Your post made me google Catherine O’Hara and wow. I did not realize the mom in Beetlejuice is the same actress as the mom in Home Alone. Seen both a million times since I was a kid and never knew.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 2:39 AM, 35MM-18 said:

Something that I've recently found interesting about Burton is that for someone with such a strong reputation for working with the same people repeatedly on both side of the camera, he's never really developed that kind of long-term relationship with any of the cinematographers he's worked with (Czapsky, Rousselot, and Delbonnel did 3 films each with him, and Wolski did two).

So I'm curious to see who he'll be working with on this film in that role.

Haris Zambarloukos is the DP. I'm glad Ben Davis was just a one-off.

• Astonished 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:52 AM, ddddeeee said:

Catherine O'Hara's return being buried in an article about another cast member's casting. 💀

Funnily enough with Schitt's Creek, she's kinda the most relevant one right now. Obv Winona is forever an icon but still. 

• Like 1

Could this be...huge?

I don't trust Burton to stick the landing at all, but it seems like Beetlejuice has really stuck around. It was the 30th best selling disc of 2021 - the only 'older' movie that sold more was Top Gun. In fall 2020, when older "horror" movies were being re-released in theatres, it outgrossed Halloween (1978 and 2018), Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream. A year ago, Quorum polled audiences on hypothetical legacy sequels to 80s movies. In terms of awareness, Beetlejuice 2 landed just behind Indiana Jones and The Little Mermaid. In terms of interest, it actually came out on top - ahead of Indiana Jones and The Little Mermaid - and this is all when the sequel was only rumoured.

Again, I don't think Burton will pull it off, but take all that interest and add Jenna Ortega (who is apparently the lead)....

• Like 2