Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

On 4/17/2017 at 7:44 AM, MrGlass2 said:

We don't know how much movies cost until a few months after release, so every time a number is given somewhere it becomes a fact. This kind of discussion is pointless.

And especially in this case: what is the source for that $209 million claim? Can't find it on THR or anywhere else, Google's first result is... this thread.

lol, we definitely know how much movies cost pre release.  that's just a flat out false statement.

can't find the THR article i read but here's the same thing from movieweb (also if you google 'valerian 209 million' you will get a lot of results confirming the same.

http://movieweb.com/valerian-most-expensive-movie-france-production/

8 hours ago, The Futurist said:

There isn't much difference, you release your big blockbueter wide in every market in the world, it s gonna cost you 150m minimum.

In some market the difference could be big (over 20%) Warner is usually the studio that spend the most on tv ads domestic and it is released by STX.

lol, we definitely know how much movies cost pre release.

French productions are a bit different (you can find a document with the budget of every movie made over 7 million in France in 2013 for example) a bit like a Louisiana Production, when movies are not made in market with tax incentive program that publish their budget we usually do not their budget pre-release, and will not post release. We will most probably never know the budget of the last King Kong, Fast and furious 8, ghost in a shell, madmax fury road, BvS, Suicide Squad and movies like that, and the rumors will have 70-80 million difference between them.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

In some market the difference could be big (over 20%) Warner is usually the studio that spend the most on tv ads domestic and it is released by STX.

French productions are a bit different (you can find a document with the budget of every movie made over 7 million in France in 2013 for example) a bit like a Louisiana Production, when movies are not made in market with tax incentive program that publish their budget we usually do not their budget pre-release, and will not post release. We will most probably never know the budget of the last King Kong, Fast and furious 8, ghost in a shell, madmax fury road, BvS, Suicide Squad and movies like that, and the rumors will have 70-80 million difference between them.

Forgive me if you think I pry, but do you work in Tax Incentives programs somewhere because you seem to know so much about all those deals ?

:thinking:

• Like 1

No simply looking at public domain (and leaked) info, they are usually well documented for the tax payers that are financing them after all (and the producer looking to compare between jurisdiction).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I wonder if they are banking (get it?) on foreign grosses

Would not surprised is the US market is foreign grosses from their point of view, it absolutely need to work in Europe were Besson is somewhat a big deal.

• Like 1

So Tele is stanning for this?

I admire the brave souls that follow him.

I mean, not about the movie itself. But good luck to y'all who's brewing hope in terms of BO prospect then with Tele's cursing presence looming over.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sam said:

So Tele is stanning for this?

I admire the brave souls that follow him.

I mean, not about the movie itself. But good luck to y'all who's brewing hope in terms of BO prospect then with Tele's cursing presence looming over.

I'm not predicting this film's box office at all right now, but Tele's supporting it, damn that's unfortunate. 

Now just imagine if he decides to make a "over 300m in France" club...

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

This poster looks pretty cool imo.

Different, but intriguing.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Is that Jabba the hutt on that poster?

From what I heard, this property was one of the many inspirations for Star Wars back in the day, so that could be the reason for such an uncanny resemblance.

• Like 1