Impact

How Long Have You Been Following the Box Office?

Since 2004 and the Shrek 2 Explosion, but seriously didn't start posting until 2005 with ROTS and then I got really heavy on BOM / BOF (RIP) in 2006 for a while till life intervened...I will always remember with fondness how Baumer and I were part of the few that saw New Moon breaking Records and defending our position nearly every day right up to its release.... (I worked in an office complex then that had a ratio of 39:1 women:men so I had a pretty good read on the female move demographic)

• Like 1

I remember all my life I would occasionally hear box office related stuff on TV or the radio. I remember all the big hubbub of The Phantom Menace sellouts, and when everyone was going crazy about Spider-Man hitting $100m+ opening weekend. I started noticing a lot more when I heard about Dead Man's Chest in 2006, and the big May showdown of 2007 also caught my eye.Regardless, I never really cared or thought in depth about numbers until Iron Man's first weekend in 2008. Starting then I began making (horrible) predictions for that movie (for the record my initial try at a "prediction" ended up ending with like $700m domestic). Though over the summer I began to look at many older movies and their respective runs via Mojo and was learning from mistakes with Indy and Incredible Hulk and by the time Wall E and Wanted came out I was following everything pretty easily. That said The Dark Knight still absolutely blew away my predictions (I was expecting $125m/$380m a few days before release) and it was then that I saw how oddly fun the entire box office world could be.

• Like 1