Impact

How Long Have You Been Following the Box Office?

I got interested in the boxoffice when 2012 came out, it made huge numbers overseas and i would check at least a couple times a week to see how much more money it made.But it wasn't until Avatar that I got really interested in the boxoffice, when I saw that it had made like 745m in like 20 days I was astounded, I hadn't even known that was possible, but then it passed a billion, then Titanic and finally it passed 2 billion which I thought was pretty phenomenal.But it wasn't until around when Alice in Wonderland opened that I joined the forums on boxofficemojo.

I have checked box office stats off and on since1999 when The Phantom Menace came out. I've never really posted in any forums until The Avengers came out this year.This is the site that got me into the box office:http://www.the-movie-times.com/They used to have all kinds of great polls/surveys, which I love :)

I would always check the wiki charts once OOTP was released, then I watched HBP's run on Mojo and joined when it passed 300m.Cool story, I remember my first post was a 'Congrats HBP on passing 300m' in a thread and then Impact locked it because I had bumped an old thread haha

it was May 2005. when ROTS was coming out. I saw the news talking about it having potential to break records. So i got interested... and started looking box office numbers up. I still remember all of the crazy people camping outside of theaters. :lol:

Took note of BO in the 1980s, around when ET had its record-breaking stay at the theaters. I definitely remember being a little disappointed at the BO performance of my favorite movie, DIE HARD. It did OK, but nowhere near what the best action movie of the decade should have! This was back when you had to read a newspaper or magazine like Variety to get any B.O. data.I joined the BOMojo boards when Spider-Man came out in 2002, inspired by its amazing run.

• Like 2

After wading through the flame wars raging all around us, this thread is a breath of fresh air. Seeing all these names fraternizing and sharing origin stories... it reminds me of that scene in "Joyeux Noel" where the German and British soldiers stop fighting on Christmas Eve during WWII and play soccer together and have a time-out from the war.Ahhhhhhhhhhh.Now... once more into the breech, dear friends!!!

• Like 1

Since 2005 I believe, I remember always looking at numbers on Yahoo movies that year, War of the Worlds is the earliest I can remember. I didn't start online discussions until TF2. BOM started soon after that

Edited by TheLombax

You know a friend and I have both been tracking it since 1993. We still talk about the box office quite a bit, both of us wait for the numbers even. Hey I was even his best man at his wedding! :lol:

Officially, since 2008.Unofficially, since probably 1999 or 2000. I remember before I joined BOM and really started tracking I would read the Yahoo! box office reports every Sunday and always had an interest in how a movie did at the box office.Even before getting into box office heavily in '08, for various films, ones that I loved, I would follow their box office. And for a long time I was especially interested in tracking music sales- Billboard, radio charts, mediabase, etc.

Seems like guys track it more then girls do. Though quite a bit of it probably has to do with the left side of the brain and math. Not putting sterotypes or anything, but it seems like guys fall under that field.My dad and my friend are the only 2 people I actually can talk about how much a movie made without feeling odd. Yeah other people do ask, and it looked great on my resume when I tried to work at Hastings. (Almost got that job, but then the man who was going to hire me got the call saying they were laying people off...)