Impact

How Long Have You Been Following the Box Office?

First started checking out the weekend gross numbers at ComingSoon sometime in early 2005 (a month or two before ROTS opened). I was 11 back then. Around the same time I came across the box-office section at IMDb.I discovered BOM in late June 2006 and the combination of getting to know so much about so many movies' box office and DMC opening and smashing all opening records hooked me completely at that moment. Pretty soon there was no way back. :rolleyes:

The Phantom Menace!Still remember it vividly. It breaking the OD record, but not The Lost World's OW. Me having tickets to the premiere but losing them on the subway to the theater, and having to hustle to get new tickets. And finally, me sitting in that theater thinking this movie... sucks. :(

I started following box office in general WAY back in the 90's ... would always follow the weekend box office #s on Showbiz Today each week on Monday afternoons, back when films like Independence Day, Twister, etc. came out ... so what, 1996-1997.  The discussion on those shows back then seems archaic when thinking in today's world.  Once had more internet access in the late 90's, early 2000's mostly followed reports from Gitesh and just stories on yahoo each week. 

In 2005 or so, before Sith, I found Boxofficemojo.com ... followed stuff on that site ... then in 2006, found WorldofKj where I began being intrigued by the 'yahoo review' box office phenomenon ... one of my earliest recollections on that aspect was in 2006 when Poseidon was an utter bomb ... and then MI3 was really disappointing a few weeks later. 

I was addicted to following each week ... and hell, every day or so since. 

Of course, still haven't posted on KJ ... and just recently started posting here, despite being a member here since pretty much when it was created. :)

Edited by agkman
  • Like 1

January 2008. I was looking around to see how Cloverfield was performing, and I stumbled upon Box Office Mojo. It caught my interest, so I lurked for a while, built up some knowledge of box office history, and joined in April 2008. Loved it since day one

Oh for awhile.  I used to make my Mom save the Calendar section of the LA times and I'd check the box office numbers there as often as they were printed.  Must be since around 94 or 95 or so since I've been following it.

God bless the internet for making it easier!

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 2

I'm the same age as Jake Gittes. I started to track reviews when I was about 12 and I would edit Wikipedia pages to fill in the BO grosses and news just for fun (this was around 2006, 2007). I got on IMDb in 2009, and I discovered Box Office around September 2012, and made an account here only recently. 

• Like 1