129 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Titanic

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I just listened to the historical commentary for the first time.  And it just solidifies my love for the film, even more than before.  The detail that Cameron gave to the movie is unfathomable.  To building an 800 foot set, to the fresh paint in every room to emulate how the Titanic would look on it's maiden voyage, to the breed of dog aboard, to the type of car that Rose and Jack make love in down to every minute detail, Cameron nailed it all.  The work that went into this film is incredible.  Every time i have watched it, I have simply been lost in the story of Jack and Rose and all the characters on board.  But listening to the historical commentary and I have an all new appreciation for it.  

• Like 4

I feel like starting a Titanic appreciation thread. I've watched it three times now in the last week.  Twice with different commentary and then last night, just the film.  The amount of care that went into this, the amount of work and the amount of research, it all paid off.  The film is a wonder.  The Romeo and Juliette script is fantastic but when you listen to the commentary by the two historians who worked on the film, Cameron went to great lengths to make sure he nailed every detail.  The correct breed of dogs were shown in the film, the correct car, every small detail, every nuance was done to perfection.  

Titanic is truly, imo, one of the best films of all time.  If you haven't listened to the commentary, you should give it a chance.  

• Like 5

I feel like starting a Titanic appreciation thread. I've watched it three times now in the last week.  Twice with different commentary and then last night, just the film.  The amount of care that went into this, the amount of work and the amount of research, it all paid off.  The film is a wonder.  The Romeo and Juliette script is fantastic but when you listen to the commentary by the two historians who worked on the film, Cameron went to great lengths to make sure he nailed every detail.  The correct breed of dogs were shown in the film, the correct car, every small detail, every nuance was done to perfection.  

Titanic is truly, imo, one of the best films of all time.  If you haven't listened to the commentary, you should give it a chance.  

I've listened the whole commentary track from Cameron, and a few parts of from the two historians and othe crews. To me that's the ultimate attitude you are gonna have if you want to make a film about a historic event. 

Boy I dont even want to know how much pressure Cameron had to endure to pull off the project the way he wanted. I mean he could have gone the easy way and saved a lot money for the studios...

• Like 3

Solid film but overly long and overrated. The sinking of the Titanic is really well done. The acting is good but I didn't like Jack at all.

Personal rant: That damn bitch Rose needs to move over on that wood because there is definitely room for two. Yes I do shout this at the movie every time I see this film.  

7/10 or 70% or B 

I've listened the whole commentary track from Cameron, and a few parts of from the two historians and othe crews. To me that's the ultimate attitude you are gonna have if you want to make a film about a historic event. 

Boy I dont even want to know how much pressure Cameron had to endure to pull off the project the way he wanted. I mean he could have gone the easy way and saved a lot money for the studios...

Exactly.  I mean he built two ships.  He built the staircase and the clock to be exact replicas of the real thing.  He had another sunken Titanic built for the underwater shots.  The detail he put into the film is unreal.  The precise look of everything was slaved over until he had it perfect.  

We've all heard about him being tyrannical on set but if he works this hard, then I would imagine he expects everyone else to as well. That doesn't condone anyone being an asshole but it at least helps us understand how much of a perfectionist he is.  And he's had a plethora of actors work with him on numerous occasions. Bill Paxton, Arnold, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen, Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, Jeannette Goldstein have all worked with him on several films and some on 4-5-and six films.  So there is a loyalty to him as well.

And beyond all of this, Titanic is the most emotionally draining film I've ever seen. It's a testament to the brilliance of it when you can watch it for the 30th time and still get emotional during the sinking and the aftermath.  There are not many films that can do that. 

• Like 1

Watched part of this on AMC last night, it's ridiculous how much of the dialogue I have memorized. There are parts I have quibbles with but still love it.

The treatment was interesting to read, to see the differences between that and the final movie. Before I hadn't really considered the idea that Rose and Cal were already sleeping together ahead of being married (a huge deal in 1912) but there are lines and actions in the movie that go along with that interpretation.

• Like 2

Solid film but overly long and overrated. The sinking of the Titanic is really well done. The acting is good but I didn't like Jack at all.

Personal rant: That damn bitch Rose needs to move over on that wood because there is definitely room for two. Yes I do shout this at the movie every time I see this film.  

7/10 or 70% or B 

yeah it's personally one of the most angering moments in cinema for me that there is clearly enough room for them both

The mother and her kid in the water, dead

Vasquez from ALIENS telling her kids the bedtime story just before they die

The old man and woman on the bed together with the water rushing in

Rose lettin Jack go, but telling him she'll never let go

There's a boat Jack and then the music.....at this point I'm mush.

Old Rose dying at the end as we see all of her pictures.

I get mushy in all of these scenes, and more.

And that damned soundtrack by Horner....damn you JAMES! Damn you all to hell!!

There was a bit debate on whether the old Rose died at the ending, or was just dreaming. In terms of being dramatic, dying definitely seems much reasonable plot.

• Like 2

Greatest film of all time, without a single doubt in my mind. An utter classic that will live for the ages. The storytelling is just unbelievably captivating. I've seen this film countless times and I can never get bored of it. Also, best music in a film, period. The most moving soundtrack I've ever heard in my life.A+

I couldnt have said it better and it was this film that finally surpassed Whitneys Bodyguard as the greatest song ever in a movie..

Celion Dion and put her on such a map its crazy...So many people owe James their careers noctis.. Then you rem all the  jealously Jim and his peers had. .Lol folks said it was Decapio and all the girls that went crazy helped this film.. ROFL..Well I think its been proven James is the ultimate masterpiece maker with Titanic and he topped Titanic in a few ways with Avatar :).

Definitely overall the greatest film of all time.. The movie, the storytelling and making a movie thats been made so many times into a true heartbreaker that captured the human spirit in ages 5-90+ up...

" YOURRRR HEREEEEE THERES NOTHING I FEEEEEELLL!!!!!  AND I KNOW THE HEART WILLL GOOOOO ON!!!! :)

This sums it up  Noctis and Titanic fans around the world...

James Cameron and his team are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67grI0nNctQ

There was a bit debate on whether the old Rose died at the ending, or was just dreaming. In terms of being dramatic, dying definitely seems much reasonable plot.

I agree I think James confirmed she did die.. Awesome ending..Regardless in my version in my head Rose found her Jack in passing on an old woman in her bed!! ( She honoured her promise to Jack Dawson!)

• Like 1

One of the greats. My #9 of all time.A+

Amen 33 LEgend.. Good to see you here too my friend...And well put Empire buddy. .This movie will live in mosts hearts and minds forever...My ex still remembers this film and how its magnificence had you wanted to be a better person and brought a lil light into your life long after experiencing it....:) For all time Titanic is king!!  Avatar was the greatest movie experience because it made us escape into a new world for the first time in a movie theater..Titanic is the greatest film all around because it most moved all ages heart wise and we dared to dream and belive in good will and abundance for long after the 3hr+ film ended its run...:)

Our heart will go on , as long as we can keep going back to this incredible tour de force!! I wept a little even though it was a Jame Cameron  mega movie vehicle that finally sunk the ship.:'(

• Like 2