129 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Titanic

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

^ what he said. I do think the 'present' moments of the film are boring. Other than that though, there's pretty much nothing to hate about this movie. Whenever this is on TV, it's one of those films that you HAVE to switch to that channel to see, even if for just a few minutes. It's like Forrest Gump in that way. It is indeed epic in that pretty much the second half of the film is the actual sinking of the ship. A near masterpiece with some script flaws. Definitely one of my favorite movies, but not perfect. I wish we could have young Winslet and Leo back. They are so irresistable in this movie.A

I'll give the film credit for finding the mathematical formula for box office gold. And credit for a riveting final third (minus the aforementioned silly Zane shooting spree).But that doesn't forgive the BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH of the previous 2 hours.

I don't mean this in a patronizing way, but I feel sorry for people that can';t find and see the brilliance in Titanic. Honestly, you're missing out on one of the greats of all time. IMO.
  • Like 1

I don't mean this in a patronizing way, but I feel sorry for people that can';t find and see the brilliance in Titanic. Honestly, you're missing out on one of the greats of all time. IMO.

And I feel sorry for people who think that disliking Titanic represents a handicap that is worth pitying. If I want to find a timeless, moving, and believeable romance story, I can find far better and I'm proud of that, because Titanic, IMO (just so the loony brigade doesn't throw a conniption fit) has little redeeming value until the iceberg hits and we finally get a small sense of scale and gravitas that the film bombastically claimed it had from the get-go but lacked due to its stilted dialogue, one-dimensional characters, and rote storyline.
  • Like 2

And I feel sorry for people who think that disliking Titanic represents a handicap that is worth pitying. If I want to find a timeless, moving, and believeable romance story, I can find far better and I'm proud of that, because Titanic, IMO (just so the loony brigade doesn't throw a conniption fit) has little redeeming value until the iceberg hits and we finally get a small sense of scale and gravitas that the film bombastically claimed it had from the get-go but lacked due to its stilted dialogue, one-dimensional characters, and rote storyline.

Agree. The romance was the weakest part in the movie for me.

And that's why i feel sorry for you. ;)

I have always been a James Cameron fan. He is really one of the only directors I can say that has never made a bad film. Even his Piranha 2 was humorous and a fine effort coming from such a young director with a small budget. He has made, from what I can recall, two masterpieces (Aliens and Terminator 2) a genre pioneer (Terminator) and one of the best action movies to come out in the 90's ( True Lies ) and an ambitious touching film ( The Abyss ). But now he has outdone himself with Titanic. I don't think there has ever been a film that has taken me through such a wide array of emotions as this one. And that is all attributed to Cameron. He wrote, produced and directed this film. And it is one of the best films ever made.We all know the story of Titanic. A great ship sets sail for the U.S. from the U.K. and along the way it sinks and many people lost their lives in the Atlantic somewhere near Newfoundland. So there is no need to retell those events documentary style. A Night To Remember is there for that purpose. So what Cameron's Titanic does is tells the tale of fictitious characters blended in with real ones amidst the real events of the sinking. And it not only makes the film entertaining, it shows the sheer horror of what happened that night and makes you more sympathetic to the characters because you spend three hours with them. This is a brilliant, brilliant film.To start with, the actors are perfect. Not just DiCaprio and Winslet, but everyone from Zane and Bates right down to Paxton as the present day treasure hunter. But it is Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio that are the true stars here as it the two of them that have to carry the load and make us care about them. And we do. We can feel them falling in love. We can feel the helpless emotions that Jack feels when he is trying to tell Rose that he loves her the day of the sinking. It is their relationship that is a great strength of the film.Next, what has to be mentioned is the score by James Horner. Very few times has a motion picture had a score that symbolized the sheer hopelessness and tragedy that is on screen. But here Horner has a perfect and somber piece of music that will bring tears to your eyes, especially when lives and love are lost.Also, the whole scope of the film is one of tragedy. It is a tragic love story, a tragic story of refugees trying to make a better life for themselves and have it all end abruptly with a giant piece of ice. It is a sad look at bureaucracy and wealth and how it can manipulate and control many things.But most importantly, this is a love story and an inspirational tearjerker. Rose and Jack fall fast and hard and it doesn't matter that they are from different worlds. Love sees no boundaries. If it is there, nothing can stop it. Not even death.Titanic is perfect in every sense. And as a guy, it is my duty not to cry in movies. I know how ridiculously old fashioned that sounds but it is true. We just aren't supposed to. But I left my testosterone at the door and when I finally let go, I found myself brought to tears as the scenes of children clinging for life in the frigid waters would be enough to bring the strongest man to tears. Cameron has manipulated us to perfection here and even if you find the romance to be embellished (which I don't) to watch this film and know that this happened, is a sad and disturbing reality. Few films have ever done this to me. Few have ever made me feel such a connection to the characters. Titanic does, and by the end of the film, you feel like you know the people of Titanic like they were your long lost relatives.And one final note: I can't understand how anyone could not enjoy the film, that's just me. But I know that what moves some does nothing for others. But the backlash towards this film is not necessary. Not every film has to be Ramboesque. Not every film has to be filled with explosions. I am not opposed to those films, I actually love many of them, but I am also prone to well written stories, whether they are love stories or not. Those who criticize this film need to realize that there is a market for this. The gross for this film and the demographics it appealed to confirm that.As for the comment made earlier about those of us that enjoyed it being teens and have never seen a film before 1990, well I am 27, my brother is 24, my mom is 50 something and my grandmother is in her 80's. And we all loved it. So keep that in mind. And a film does not gross 2 BILLION dollars by having only teens see it.This is as good as a film gets!One final note. The SE DVD finally came out and it was worth the wait. The transfer is beautiful and if you are like me and love DVD's so you can access the special features, then this disc is for you. The commentary alone by Cameron makes the disc worth spending your money on. Cameron doesn't do a lot of commentaries, but the ones he does are perhaps the most insightful commentaries out there. Titanic, he outdoes himself. I really recommend everyone who loves this film to get the SE DVD and just sti back for 3 hours and listen to what he has to say.

• Like 1

There is no backlash toward it. Sure the love story appealed to a lot of people but I wasn't really feeling it. I did enjoy the film but only the last 1 hour 1/2 was outstanding. That's my opinion.

Edited by ECSTASY

You know I can never say that I've pitied someone who liked or didn't like the film, I mean I can totally see where both sides are coming from. Titanic is a movie I enjoy and is extremely rewatchable, but I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything,

Edited by CoolioD1

You know I can never say that I've pitied someone who liked or didn't like the film, I mean I can totally see where both sides are coming from. Titanic is a movie I enjoy and is extremely rewatchable, but I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything,

I don't really pity anybody either for real. Just havin' a bit of fun.

While it has it flaws and cringeworthy moments, it does lie near the top of my favourite movies of all time. The visual effects are simply amazing for 1997 and the score is probably my favourite of all time. I can't wait until April.

A+

I rewatched this a few months ago. The sinking still holds up (no pun intended) really well thanks to the practical effects and the atmospheric build up. But I forgot how shockingly archetypal the love story was, particularly because DiCaprio and Winslet are normally so good. I get that it's trying to appeal to the masses so everything has to be obvious, but there's just no chemistry whatsoever. If I watched this for the first time now rather than as a 12 year old I wouldn't have been invested in their relationship at all. That probably explains why I found Avatar so mediocre. By that point I was canny to Cameron's emotional manipulation so its effect was lost on me.Still, there's no denying it - he has an astonishing ability to breeze through a story. Despite its running time I never found Titanic boring.

Edited by Hatebox

This film is a masterful blend of romance, drama, and disaster thriller elements. While I do have to admit to finding the romance the weakest part of the movie (mainly Rose's complete 180 on Jack before the "Flying" scene), there are still some really great character moments within that make the cheesiness forgivable, such as the dinner scene and the dialogue between Rose and her mother about their finances that hints at a more multidimensional character. And with a film with such a grim outcome for most of the characters, it's impressive how many moments of sheer exuberance Cameron is able to fit in.

And of course all the technical/visual aspects hold up very well. The 3D really shines during the disaster sequences with the water rushing in. I caught myself feeling a chill occasionally.

A

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1