Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I'm not sure about domestically, but The Matrix was a HUGE international earner when the original trilogy was being released. And that was well before the markets for many international markets had the explosions they had. If all these wildness flip flops and Covid is somehow a distant dream  nightmare by the time it releases, I'd be willing to bet money on Matrix 4 being an absolute behemoth in international earnings. 

I just think it's a shame there are 3 sequels to the original Matrix film, which was legitimately great. Now that it appears Nolan and Warner have burned bridges with each other, it would not surprise me to see AT&T push for some Inception sequels. Hopefully Nolan got some ironclad language to block that shit if he's not involved in the production. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I just think it's a shame there are 3 sequels to the original Matrix film, which was legitimately great. Now that it appears Nolan and Warner have burned bridges with each other, it would not surprise me to see AT&T push for some Inception sequels. Hopefully Nolan got some ironclad language to block that shit if he's not involved in the production. 

If Nolan and Warner do actually end up parting ways, I would be inclined to believe Inception and Interstellar will both be given sequels at some point. I think I read not long ago from either Variety or THR that they were looking into an Interstellar sequel already anyway (of course they wanted him to be involved with writing or producing at the least). 

• Sad 1

I think WW84 and Matrix4 would have both done in the roughly 800-1B range, some chance of a bit more or a tad less. So I wouldn’t be at all surprised by either winning.    

Matrix 1 made the top 30 WW and Matrix 2 the top 15. Matrix 3 was lower, but JP3 didn’t stop JW from being huge.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nolan is being Nolan. I expected him to rebel about this for sure. He will move on with another studio for his next movie. I hope interim he makes something for netflix. He called HBO Max the worst streaming service(LOL). Then make something for the best one 🙂

Disney seems like the most likely spot for him. Disney is the studio with the most to gain from keeping theaters afloat. They are the company with the strongest properties at the box office, whether it's Marvel or Star Wars or Avatar, etc. Disney also has Alan Horn, a former executive at Warner who was in charge of greenlighting a huge chunk of Nolan's filmography at WB. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Disney seems like the most likely spot for him. Disney is the studio with the most to gain from keeping theaters afloat. They are the company with the strongest properties at the box office, whether it's Marvel or Star Wars or Avatar, etc. Disney also has Alan Horn, a former executive at Warner who was in charge of greenlighting a huge chunk of Nolan's filmography at WB. 

I don’t think Disney would give Nolan the freedom he’d want for blockbusters especially consider their IP focus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

:hahaha:

IDK if Matrix may get proper release whenever it release but in world where there was no COVID Wondy weekend has more chance of being over Matrix 4 than what you just said.

People love a blast from the past. I feel a great trailer from Matrix will generate a lot of hype. 

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think they would give it to him, but would need a much lower budget than Tenet. Maybe $80-100M budget range, similar to Dunkirk

You think Disney would invest in mid budget movies post Covid? And do you think Nolan would want lower budgets?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nolan working for Disney via 20th Century seems possible. Sony could also be a potential new home for him after they enjoyed a ton of success with the likes of Quentin Tarantino and Greta Gerwig last year.

I can also see Paramount, as they’re desperate for IP and I think Nolan could get a good deal there.

• Like 3

Nolan can really go anywhere. There isn't a single studio out there that will turn him down. They might not all give him a $200M+ budget to do whatever with, but he can certainly secure $100-150M from Disney, Universal, Sony... any of them.

My guess on Nolan's next destination assuming he really does cut ties with WB will be Paramount. It's the studio he most recently worked for outside of WB (Interstellar) and arguably the one that needs someone like him the most. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You think Disney would invest in mid budget movies post Covid? And do you think Nolan would want lower budgets?

I think he will have to significantly adjust his budget expectations after the COVID flop with Tenet and the possible death of traditional box office moving forward. Disney still releases non-safe stuff that ends up flopping. I'm sure they would like to replace that type of content with Nolan instead. Here are examples: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nutcracker_and_the_Four_Realms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time_(2018_film)

• Like 1

WB's incompetence put them in this terrible position where they were boxed in, and now their relationship "management" has been pathetic. Who knows what happens but wow have they pissed off talent.

Sell DC to Disney for gods sake. Or hire @excel1

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think he will have to significantly adjust his budget expectations after the COVID flop with Tenet and the possible death of traditional box office moving forward. Disney still releases non-safe stuff that ends up flopping. I'm sure they would like to replace that type of content with Nolan instead. Here are examples: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nutcracker_and_the_Four_Realms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time_(2018_film)

In all fairness, Tenet made more money than anything else "post-COVID" and even if it didn't I don't believe anybody in the industry is going to hold it against him. 

13 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WB's incompetence put them in this terrible position where they were boxed in, and now their relationship "management" has been pathetic. Who knows what happens but wow have they pissed off talent.

It's all AT&T's doing tbh. Now it's a question of how long until they sell the studio off (especially when HBO Max doesn't see the massive rise in subscriptions to compete with its closest competitors that they were expecting).

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

In all fairness, Tenet made more money than anything else "post-COVID" and even if it didn't I don't believe anybody in the industry is going to hold it against him. 

With how much of an off year 2020 has been, all of the duds of this year are likely going to be filed under the "doesn't count" column. COVID turned a major Pixar effort into one of the biggest bombs in Disney history just days after opening, and their next one is one the most acclaimed movies of the year being forced into debuting on streaming because a theatrical release in the current climate wasn't possible.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AndyK said:

Apparently, most of them got 90 minutes notice.

Did I miss the DGA buying Regal?  Or the SAG giving a loan out to AMC?  Or anyone using their social media to create a TikTok dance for CinemaSafe?  Naw instead you had industry press publishing articles on how going to see Tenet was Russian Roulette.   Angelina Jolie come up with a distribution network for a vaccine?  Boo hoo they got 90 minutes but give these gossiping agents any more and this would have leaked like the Titanic.  

Why does everyone think come April 4th everything is back to normal?  How especially in Hollywood with all the Agents with MBA's from Warton, Booth, Stanford or Harvard can they not see the condition of the theater chains?  Do they think the CEOs of Regal and AMC are lying about being out of money in January?  That these statements are what a bluff because it is so good for the stock price or negotiating any deals with creditors and vendors.  If the theaters survive it will be almost single handedly because WB released Tenet and WW84 while Disney released nothing, Sony released nothing, Paramount nothing and Universal the Croods.  

What is WB supposed to do here?  How long are they supposed to carry these films?  There is an uncertain future where there is a very good chance that we lose a third or more screens by the summer and its not out of the question its over half.  You have governors keeping theaters closed while allowing indoor dining and he is the hero that Hollywood is giving a special Emmy too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I can also see Paramount, as they’re desperate for IP and I think Nolan could get a good deal there.

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

Nolan can really go anywhere. There isn't a single studio out there that will turn him down. They might not all give him a $200M+ budget to do whatever with, but he can certainly secure $100-150M from Disney, Universal, Sony... any of them.

My guess on Nolan's next destination assuming he really does cut ties with WB will be Paramount. It's the studio he most recently worked for outside of WB (Interstellar) and arguably the one that needs someone like him the most. 

Good points about Paramount and Nolan. That is a very possible landing spot for him if he's done with Warner.

I am very curious to see what happens with all the movie studios as a result of the rough times with COVID. I think the only safe ones in the long run are Disney, Warner, Universal. The others are vulnerable enough to end up getting bought out by the Big 3.

Sony is "safe" from a buyout due to the fact Sony itself is a massive corporation outside the movies. But I could easily see Sony dumping their movie business entirely and selling it to someone else. Paramount/Viacom with a market cap of $22B is small enough to be bought out by the Big 3 of Disney, AT&T/Warner, and Comcast/Universal (all 3 of them above $200B market cap). Lionsgate of course is even more vulnerable than Paramount. Maybe Paramount should try to buy the movie assets of Sony & Lionsgate. It would help Paramount survive over the long term.

Also very possible that the Tech companies like Amazon, Netflix, or Apple jump into the game and buyout some of these movie assets from the legacy studios like Paramount, Lionsgate, or Sony. 

• Like 1