Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

That’s honestly one of those movies I thought would do much better OS than it ended up doing. The OS for it was really meh for a superhero and Dwayne Johnson movie.

Edited by Arlborn

Black Adam didn't do as well as Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart make it sound in the interview, but when you look at in the the context of the DCEU, and compared to the movies released before (Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad) and after it (Shazam 2, The Flash) we start to appreciate how it performed. It's clear this shared universe has been awfully managed in recent years, they've made some stupid decisions that have completely killed their audience's excitement, and Black Adam opening to $67 million and almost reaching $400m worldwide without China was actually very strong in that context.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I finally caught Black Adam a few weeks ago, and it not getting a sequel isn’t a mystery to me. I thought it was an awful mess of poor storytelling and paper thin characterisation. For me, it’s one of the worst films I’ve seen in the past year.

I like Dwayne, but he needs to let this go.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Black Adam didn't do as well as Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart make it sound in the interview, but when you look at in the the context of the DCEU, and compared to the movies released before (Birds of Prey, The Suicide Squad) and after it (Shazam 2, The Flash) we start to appreciate how it performed. It's clear this shared universe has been awfully managed in recent years, they've made some stupid decisions that have completely killed their audience's excitement, and Black Adam opening to $67 million and almost reaching $400m worldwide without China was actually very strong in that context.

Very well put. You’re right, the context is important here.

What do you think are some of the stupid decisions made that ended up killing this universe? I’d love to hear your opinion on that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

On the other hand, The Rock's claim that Black Adam would have made "100-200" million in China if released doesn't hold up. 

But yeah, Black Adam ended up doing pretty well all things considered. Also, despite the reviews it's a good movie (despite clear signs the beginning was put into a blender multiple times) and it's clearly aiming to do something interesting. I think it's really really close to being a very good movie which really could have placed it into the more interesting financial place of say $550M WW. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Very well put. You’re right, the context is important here.

What do you think are some of the stupid decisions made that ended up killing this universe? I’d love to hear your opinion on that.

I think the worst decision of all was making all movies standalone, and have basically no connectivity between movies at all. This is kinda controversial, because we're supposed to defend the art of cinema, and shared universes with one movie promoting the next is corporate filmmaking at its worst. But these movies were still being made by committee in an attempt to replicate Marvel's success, except that WB decided to strip the DCEU out off of one of the main reasons why the MCU was so consistent at the box office. They succeeded with standalone movies that were set outside of the DCEU and allowed filmmakers to realize their vision (The Batman, Joker), but for a shared universe it would never work. Without larger storylines, build-up and crossovers, these are just purposeless, inconsequential adventures of the week.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Dune’s got 6 weeks of premium screens with what seems like relatively weak competition that will probably get even weaker by the time it comes out. Why would it move? 

Because they probably want the huge A-List cast to promote it…Dune isn’t exactly a huge, popular, casual-friendly franchise. There’s a reason why they put Zendaya everywhere despite only having five minutes of screentime.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Dune’s got 6 weeks of premium screens with what seems like relatively weak competition that will probably get even weaker by the time it comes out. Why would it move? 

Because they want to bank on the star power of the cast, which they can't do with the strike going on.

Napoleon is already a confirmed IMAX release via its marketing (a contract that was certainly made a while ago) and that comes out in what will be Dune's fourth weekend.

People are reading too much into a transparent public attempt by the CEO of IMAX begging the studio not to delay the movie to next year like the rumors are indicating they might do. CEOs are gonna do what CEOs are gonna do (which is think about how their bottom line might be impacted and no one else's even though it also relies on the bottom line of other companies).

• Like 1

Yeah, Barbie isn't IMAX and it's kicking Oppenheimers ass. Not that it doesn't help to have IMAX, but having vs not having isn't quite sink or swim like people think.

Obviously the pandemic and hybrid HBO Max release was an impact, but if they want a big jump from the first leveraging the cast is gonna be a must.

Ayer has said in the past that his cut of SS is pretty much locked, and just needs some VFX touch-ups, so in theory, finishing it should be significantly less expensive than the Snyder Cut. It would also coincide pretty well with Joker 2 if they release it next year.