Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The social media embargo thing worked out well for Wonder Woman and IT.  

EDIT Napoleon beat me to the punch. Lol

My 57mil prediction still stands...for now.

That would be a fantastic OW...more than half of what BR's entire original run adjusts to!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Great thing about this movie coming out is the fact that it brings a whole heap of OG Blade Runner screenings along with it. Probably gonna catch one of those this Friday.

There's one of those in my state but it's on a Wednesday in a city that's like an hour away from me so I can't go to it :sadben: 

28 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Also worked for Dunkirk. Hoping this can break the October opening weekend record 

• Like 1

If the movie really is great I could see a Mad Max type run for it. But that damn runtime is gonna hurt it, lots of theatre's hvs to cut down showtimes to 1 or 2 evening shows rather than 3. 

Also that budget worries me. But 120+ domestic should be good, and maybe 350WW

Just now, DAJK said:

If the movie really is great I could see a Mad Max type run for it. But that damn runtime is gonna hurt it, lots of theatre's hvs to cut down showtimes to 1 or 2 evening shows rather than 3. 

Also that budget worries me. But 120+ domestic should be good, and maybe 350WW

The budget isn’t an issue as it was mostly financed by Alcon. WB has distribution rights to their deal with Alcon and Sony has OS rights as I believe they financed the remainder of the budget in exchange for the OS rights

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Like the prediction. Watching the shorts has made me a lot more optimistic 

58 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The budget isn’t an issue as it was mostly financed by Alcon. WB has distribution rights to their deal with Alcon and Sony has OS rights as I believe they financed the remainder of the budget in exchange for the OS rights

Yeah I don't think WB's going to lose much money on the film, if it does fail, unless I'm mistaken. 

Definitely starting to feel this is headed for an opening similar to Gravity and The Martian (critically-acclaimed sci-fi films that opened in early October in recent years), now it just needs the reviews to seal the deal. I'm not worried about the long running time being a detriment, with so many movies making so little that theaters are eager to ditch them they'll probably book this on multiple screens just to meet possible high demand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Definitely starting to feel this is headed for an opening similar to Gravity and The Martian (critically-acclaimed sci-fi films that opened in early October in recent years), now it just needs the reviews to seal the deal. I'm not worried about the long running time being a detriment, with so many movies making so little that theaters are eager to ditch them they'll probably book this on multiple screens just to meet possible high demand.

Yeah American Made won't be making a ton and Kingsman will be pulling in not huge numbers it's third weekend. I think there is space for them to give it a lot of showings.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Definitely starting to feel this is headed for an opening similar to Gravity and The Martian

That is really on the optimistic side imo, those had 0 resistance (many of the audience will ask themselves do I need to have watched the first Blade Runner or liked it ?) and more marketable high concept (The martian was particularly an easy and short one sentence sell).

With also if I am a big fan, do I want the mystery to possibly go away (that something some people say sometime, not sure if there is any truth to it)

MadMax 45m seem hard to beat, the reviews cannot be better than MadMax and that did look like something you could easily watch regardless of your relation with the franchise.

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That is really on the optimistic side imo, those had 0 resistance (many of the audience will ask themselves do I need to have watched the first Blade Runner or liked it ?) and more marketable high concept (The martian was particularly an easy and short one sentence sell)

MadMax 45m seem hard to beat, the reviews cannot be better than MadMax and that did look like something you could easily watch regardless of your relation with the franchise.

Tron: Legacy made over $170M and the original Tron was a flop when it came out three decades before (like the original Blade Runner, no less). Duplicating those numbers doesn't seem like a difficult task.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Blade Runner is far more popular than Mad Max though.

I am a bit curious that is based on what, the Road Warrior is one of the most influential movie for pop culture ever, the Fallout video game franchise is directly from it (with the dogs, one arm vest and everything) and is one of the biggest video game franchise, a long list of post-apocalyptic product used is aesthetic, the box office was not that different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max_series_legacy_and_influence_in_popular_culture

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tron: Legacy made over $170M and the original Tron was a flop when it came out three decades before

Looking at the trailer, it look more like something you do not need to have seen the previous movies, but you are right if Tron can do it.... a Deakins Blade Runner can to I must admit.