Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

On 9/21/2017 at 10:39 PM, Goffe said:

Hot Take Alert 🚨

Everyone keeps fawning over the visuals, but I think they look like Deakins weakest work in ages. I definitely not a fan of this ‘one color scheme dominates the frame’ thing, the foggy and darkened exterior shots put me off a great deal and some of the interiors in the trailer are so poorly lit it’s appalling.

That is the obvious truth, not a "hot take".

The French director/hack is notorious for almost unwatchable levels of darkness in all his movies, apart from all their other faults.

I don't care much about how boring or stupid his movies are (he's just one of many ordinary hacks) - but the unwatchable darkness, this IS a crime. He should be banned from film-making until he learns basic film rules.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shayhiri said:

The French director/hack is notorious for almost unwatchable levels of darkness in all his movies, apart from all their other faults.

He is not french, he is Québécois and is Villeneuve filmography particularly dark outside Prisoners  ?:

5.-Inc-f3.jpgincendies1.jpg1*EvXqhYmeFKa_KULZy_4VUw.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shayhiri said:

That is the obvious truth, not a "hot take".

I don't care much about how boring or stupid his movies are (he's just one of many ordinary hacks) - but the unwatchable darkness, this IS a crime. He should be banned from film-making until he learns basic film rules.

I've never seen a worse opinion 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

He is not french, he is Québécois and is Villeneuve filmography particularly dark outside Prisoners ?

Hahaha, he's a Canadian? This must be a torture for the people around him, his French accent is terrible.

I don't care about Prisoners, it was so boring I didn't notice the darkness - but Sicario was so disgustingly dark at times I had to call the cinema manager, thinking the projector was broken. When the time came to see Arrival I KNEW it was gonna be criminally underlit - and it still managed to turn me off. I hated the movie anyway - but Sicario could have been a nicely shot movie - had the Frenchie not been saving on the lights.

I am telling you, this hack is going to ruin Blade Runner. If anyone can fuck up Deakins's cinematography - it's a French Canadian with a funny mug.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, filmscholar said:

I actually have a 4-Disc Special Edition DVD of "Blade Runner".  I guess I have to pick which cut I want to watch.  I'm going to watch Blade Runner and then go right into the Sequel on the Big Screen.  Should be a cool marathon.  

I think Final Cut

• Like 1