Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

37 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Yes this may be the weakest of the Indy films (well just about everyone says that) but its no where as near as bad as people have made it out to be. Yes it goes a bit too dark at times, but its still loads of fun.B+

While the next to worst out of the 4, that doesn't make it a bad movie. It is still Indy after all :)

I do enjoy it, the main "issue" i have with the movie is Kate Capshaw. Other than that, I really like most of the film

B+

Written in 1999Indiana Jones is one the most unique film characters ever created. He is not a superhero, he is not incredibly well built and he does not exhibit Einstein like smarts.However, he does have is the most relentless desire to succeed and never give up. He started that in Raiders of the Lost Ark and he continues it in Temple of Doom. I once saw an interview with Steven Spielberg years after Temple was released. He was being asked about Temple of Doom and he said that when him and George Lucas looked at the screenplay for Temple of Doom Steven turned to George and asked him if they could do all that was written. George turned back to him and said " I have no idea. " But they started filming and when it came to doing what seemed to be the impossible, they somehow managed to do it. Because that is what you get when you put two of the greatest minds in the business today together, success. Reality says that there are limitations to what can be done. Steven and George take that reality and laugh at it. Maybe now a days, some 16 years later, things like the mine care chase and the pit of fire seem like simple things to film but remember this is 1984. Special effects were not as advanced as they are now and to create some of what they did is realy quite incredible. I don't know how long it must have taken to film the mine cart scene but think of difficult and arduos a process that would be. Spielberg will always be the king of motion pictures in my book and films like this helped solidify that title. The man is a genius, he really is. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a fantastic film and it furthers his character. The film isn't just a rehash of the first, it actually expands on the story. And to make it even more fun, it takes place before the events in Raiders do.One of the most entertaining parts of Temple of Doom is Indy's new sidekick named Short Round, Shorty for short. Ke Huy Quan plays shorty with so much energy and he becomes an integral part of the film. He has a few good one liners and his physical acting skills are a perfect match for Harrison Fords. The film starts off much in the same way that Raiders does, with something that really has little to do with the rest of the film. It is here that we are introduced to Indy once again, Willie Scott, the beautiful nightclub singer, Short Round and even to one of Indy's old friends named Mohan, who loses his life abruptly. The reason I mention Mohan is because Marion had a friend named Mohan at her bar in Nepal. I wonder if these two guys were related somehow.After the energy at the beginning of the film it slows down to explain the story and set it up for us. But from the moment Indy and Short Round go into the secret wall in their room, the film never slows down. It is from here that we witness all the things that we now expect from an Indiana Jones movie: boobie traps, evil bad guys, bugs, perilous turns at every corner and of course the bullwhip. Some of the funniest parts in the film are also when Indy and Shorty are stuck in the cavern with the ceiling slowly caving in on them. Willie can hear their screams of help and she has to come and rescue them. She gingerly and slowly walks down the cave and gets to them. As she puts her hand into the hole in the wall to release them, Indy sticks his hand out and says "the other right, the other right, your other right. " and then just before they are about to be crushed he looks at her and with a child like face he says " Willie, we are going to die! " It is such a funny moment that if you haven't seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom then you should just for this one part. Temple of Doom is so full of energy and action that it is definitely a film ahead of its time. People complained that the film was too violent and that it wasn't suitable for kids so they actually changed the rating system in the U.S for this movie. PG-13 was born just for Temple of Doom. Interesting piece of trivia there for you.As for the movie itself, Indiana Jones becomes somewhat of a deity to some villagers outside of Shanghai. They have lost their three stones that supposedly bring good luck to the village. They also have their children kidnapped by the Thugees, led by a nasty villain named Mola Rom. He is a human sacrificing menacing man that pulls people's hearts out of their chest just before he lowers them into a hellacious pit of fire as a human sacrifice to Sheeba. Indy is then captured and put under a spell by having to drink some blood. It is here that the movie gets it's PG-13 rating when not only Indy but Short Round are whipped with the cat-o-nine tails. It is quite disturbing and I guess if kids were going to watch the film it would be a bit much for them. Temple of Doom is a great film and it is a great sequel to Raiders and a perfect prequel to Last Crusade. It remembers its roots as it has Indy reaching for his gun in a dangerous situation only to find that it is not there and it creates some of its own new history as there are many breath taking action sequences. I don't know how George and Steven do it but they just keep on entertaining us with movies like this and Star Wars. I sincerely hope they make a fourth installment of the Indiana Jones series. It has been ten years since the last one and that is way too long.9/10

• Like 1

Look its not a bad film, its not. It is just that the tone is all over the place. You have this really dark film with human sacrifice and child labor and indy being converted into an evil zombie like thing. All of these things are really quite dark. And then you have Short Round and Willie Scott cracking jokes and screaming in an over-the-top manner ever 10.5 seconds. It just makes for a frustrating movie to watch, although by no means a bad one.

Look its not a bad film, its not. It is just that the tone is all over the place. You have this really dark film with human sacrifice and child labor and indy being converted into an evil zombie like thing. All of these things are really quite dark. And then you have Short Round and Willie Scott cracking jokes and screaming in an over-the-top manner ever 10.5 seconds. It just makes for a frustrating movie to watch, although by no means a bad one.

The film's opening is a huge clue that something is about to go really wrong with the film when it starts with a song-and-dance number complete with Rockettes-style flappers (and 90% of their dancing takes place where no one in the audience can actually see) and then 5 minutes later Indy throws a flaming skewer into a guy's gut right after being poisoned, his friend dying in his arm, and being taunted by Fu Manchu.

• Like 1

I like Shorty. Maybe cause the child actor is Vietnamese, but I found him cute and a good sidekick.

As for the movie, I like the actions. The tunnel chase is very good IMO. The tone of the movie is indeed pretty messy, but overall, I still enjoy the movie for the adventure. It's quite fun.

8/10