Neo

Justice League Dark | HBO Max | Series by Bad Robot

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I always knew Black Orchid was a longshot. Swamp Thing will remain as he is considered a sacred Alan Moore contribution. I hoped they would at least include Madame Xanadu. She was their Nick Fury/Amanda Waller of sorts in the original comics and wasn't the Del Toro iteration rumored to be considering Monica Belluci to play her? She's a unique character whose rich Arthurian roots could be mined to great effect.

I am not too familiar with MX. I know all these characters are steeped in magic, but I always thought that MX was too similar to Zatanna (isn't she?)...

I love Deadman, Zatanna, and Etrigan. In a way, I was hoping that they would be the "Trinity" of this JL, although I bet that Constantine is the one character that will always be associated with this property (right?)...

My dream lineup would be Jinx, Etrigan, Zatanna, Deadman, Black Orchid, and Manitou Raven.

JLD.jpg

I know, I know...it will never happen, but I can dream... :D 

Also, where is my MCU magical team of anti-heroes and outsiders??? Marvel already has the perfect name: The Night Shift, and a bunch of those characters are, imo, awesome: Dansen Macabre, Mr. Hyde, Nekra, The Shroud, Digger, Tatterdemalion, etc... 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I am not too familiar with MX. I know all these characters are steeped in magic, but I always thought that MX was too similar to Zatanna (isn't she?)...

I love Deadman, Zatanna, and Etrigan. In a way, I was hoping that they would be the "Trinity" of this JL, although I bet that Constantine is the one character that will always be associated with this property (right?)...

My dream lineup would be Jinx, Etrigan, Zatanna, Deadman, Black Orchid, and Manitou Raven.

JLD.jpg

I know, I know...it will never happen, but I can dream... :D 

Also, where is my MCU magical team of anti-heroes and outsiders??? Marvel already has the perfect name: The Night Shift, and a bunch of those characters are, imo, awesome: Dansen Macabre, Mr. Hyde, Nekra, The Shroud, Digger, Tatterdemalion, etc... 

MX and Zatanna both have supernatural abilities but are pretty different. Madame Xanadu is an ancient immortal sorceress like Circe. She's Nimue, the sister of Morgan Le Fay and the Lady of the Lake from the King Arthur legends (someone at DC/Vertigo was clearly inspired by The Mists of Avalon while creating her origin :P ). She specializes in fortune telling and teleportation. Zatanna is like the female equivalent of Mandrake the Magician. In fact, her father Zatarra who preceded her by decades in the comics was a Mandrake rip-off in the 30's. It was possibly the main reason he got supplanted by his daughter, as she was more unique (she's both the magician and his attractive female assistant).

Constantine is the most successful solo character from this group and I think the team was essentially created to make him a prominent DC Universe figure once he made the transition from the Vertigo line to the main DCU. So I'd say Zatanna, he and Deadman are their Trinity, though ST and Etrigan have always been there and kind of form a quintet with them.

Hmm, I don't think Disney will allow MCU to have a film on anti-heroes TBH. Maybe a Netflix series.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

MX and Zatanna both have supernatural abilities but are pretty different. Madame Xanadu is an ancient immortal sorceress like Circe. She's Nimue, the sister of Morgan Le Fay and the Lady of the Lake from the King Arthur legends (someone at DC/Vertigo was clearly inspired by The Mists of Avalon while creating her origin :P ). She specializes in fortune telling and teleportation. Zatanna is like the female equivalent of Mandrake the Magician. In fact, her father Zatarra who preceded her by decades in the comics was a Mandrake rip-off in the 30's. It was possibly the main reason he got supplanted by his daughter, as she was more unique (she's both the magician and his attractive female assistant).

Constantine is the most successful solo character from this group and I think the team was essentially created to make him a prominent DC Universe figure once he made the transition from the Vertigo line to the main DCU. So I'd say Zatanna, he and Deadman are their Trinity, though ST and Etrigan have always been there and kind of form a quintet with them.

Hmm, I don't think Disney will allow MCU to have a film on anti-heroes TBH. Maybe a Netflix series.

Thanks about the MX info!!

That sucks about Disney.

A Netflix series would probably not get a budget that is large enough to do justice to these characters' powers and/or stories, but I understand the company's reluctance to pour so much money in a film property of anti-heroes and pseudo-villains.

As for JLD's, seems like they are pushing Zatanna to be the Diana of this team's trinity indeed. :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Er... Guardians of The Galaxy - thieves, smugglers and assassins

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Er... Guardians of The Galaxy - thieves, smugglers and assassins

Er... in theory only. They have been declawed beyond recognition and fall in the proper "hero" category, especially compared to the likes of non-MCU anti-heroes like Deadpool and even Netflix Punisher. The (admittedly scant) people who read the pre-movie GotG comics keep complaining about their film depictions as being too Disneyfied. Even the creator of Mantis complained about her interpretation in the film.

Edited by Spidey Freak

44 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Er... in theory only. They have been declawed beyond recognition and fall in the proper "hero" category, especially compared to the likes of non-MCU anti-heroes like Deadpool and even Netflix Punisher. The (admittedly scant) people who read the pre-movie GotG comics keep complaining about their film depictions as being too Disneyfied. Even the creator of Mantis complained about her interpretation in the film.

It's played for laughs but most of GOTG2 is them being chased for stealing and then destroying a bunch of ships that are after them for stealing.  Only in the last part of the film do they do anything that's heroic.   Then there's Nebula who basically gets a bunch of people murdered in her pursuit of revenge on Gamora - yet at the end they're all seemingly fine with her.

28 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's played for laughs but most of GOTG2 is them being chased for stealing and then destroying a bunch of ships that are after them for stealing.  Only in the last part of the film do they do anything that's heroic.   Then there's Nebula who basically gets a bunch of people murdered in her pursuit of revenge on Gamora - yet at the end they're all seemingly fine with her.

Aladdin and Flynn Rider are thieves on the run for most of their respective movies too. Are they anti-heroes as well then? :P And Gamora & co. were only fine with Nebula once she showed her sympathetic, victimized side and made peace with them.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

I agree.

That's what Disney/MCU does: sanitize everything beyond recognition to make it family friendly (then pile up the jokes).

I just wish they had some sort of sub-studio or whatever that could create superhero properties that were a tad more...risky.

Of course they are not gonna do that with their big guns, and I'm fine with that.

I'd love to see a Marvel series of films that focused on their unknown magical/supernatural properties without declawing them.

Son of Satan, Satana, Brother Voodoo, Werewolf by Night, Elsa Bloodstone, The Night Shift...so many cool characters.

I mean, I get it...they want to make the most amount of money possible. It's cool.

I can still dream...

Edited by Cochofles

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

I just wish they had some sort of sub-studio

Would be nice, a bit like what Marvel Knights (ghostrider/punisher movies) was:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0255123?ref_=ttco_co_2

I expect them to do it one day (and use it has a banner for their Netflix stuff), maybe not soon (I would not touch that money printing machine that work so well with family) but if there is a sign of decline.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Would be nice, a bit like what Marvel Knights (ghostrider/punisher movies) was:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0255123?ref_=ttco_co_2

I expect them to do it one day (and use it has a banner for their Netflix stuff), maybe not soon (I would not touch that money printing machine that work so well with family) but if there is a sign of decline.

I certainly understand that.

I mean, why "fix" something that is anything but broken.

Still may or may not happen, but here are some character concept pitches made to WB by Joseph Kahn (director of some Taylor Swift music videos among others), with Dan Stevens, Natalie Dormer and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Constantine, Zatanna and Jason Blood/Etrigan respectively:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

Hard pass on Zatanna. Deadman should be bulkier not a Walking Dead zombie. Everything else looks decent. Wonder why he released this. Maybe trying to get some buzz to see if WB green lights this?

Also my fan cast for Zatanna would be Ana De Armas or Eiza Gonzalez 

Deadman should be more like his comic counterpart. Zatanna looks far too modern, the New 52 costume would work well. Swamp Thing looks good. 

I do think if WB does greenlight, it won't be called Justice League Dark. I think Dark Justice would be a good alternative.

• Like 1