A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

20 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Last Jedi's 92% 2nd weekend drop is the most epic run ever in china....

All Boyega movies have epic drops in China. Didn't PRU have an epic drop too? Hilarious that he was chosen to save PR franchise and bring 500M from China alone. :hahaha:

@vc2002 Exactly. Dramatic BO runs, whether unexpected success or unexpected fail are exciting. Predictable isn't. 

@firedeep Old republic, Jedi Sith War, etc have enormous commercial potential. So I'm baffled that someone thinks that appeals only to niche audience/fanboys (it's a freakin LOTR in space and LOTR in space-like mythology in AIW received ecstatic reception) and that the studio doesn't want to explore that period. I just don't get it. 

Edited by Valonqar

30 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Pac Rim: Uprising really did have an utterly flop run here didn't it? lol I hope this discourages studios from making sequels just for China..

stupidest idea ever. I still can't understand who thought that was a good idea. first PR didn't make 200M or 300M there to expect similar/bigger result for the sequel. It made 111M. Not exactly poised for an enormous jump especially with a star Chinese audience reportedly cannot stand. 

11 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I don't think that's the kind of rating for a would be breakout movie.

Yea the rating is similar to jumanji and IW. but I don't know abt the local movies which has the same rating to compare! 

26 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Yea the rating is similar to jumanji and IW. but I don't know abt the local movies which has the same rating to compare! 

for additional context...

FURIOUS 7 - 9.6

FURIOUS 8 - 9.3 

GOTG 2 - 9.0 (A good rating does not always translate to a good run) 

THOR 3 - 8.9

DOCTOR STRANGE - 8.9

JUSTICE LEAGUE - 8.6

WONDER WOMAN - 8.6 

CAPTAIN AMERICA 3 - 8.6 

AVENGERS: AOU - 8.6 

SPIDER-MAN: HC - 8.1 

BLACK PANTHER - 8.0 

BATMAN V SUPERMAN - 8.0 

On 17/05/2018 at 3:55 PM, Proxima Olive said:

Thurs est
IW 52.3M -19.3% same drop as BP, steeper than FF8's 18%
Total 1578.5M

should +40% +100% -10%(520 boost) for the nex days

looking like a bang on prediction so far, perhaps even a bit modest for saturday (presales themselves are +100%). GG! 

48 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Presales dont really indicate a breakout and I highly doubt it would overtake IW by Sunday

I agree. Presales and maoyan rating does not indicate a breakout.

So it must be something else

Local films can be leggy with a Maoyan rating of low 8s.

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Presales dont really indicate a breakout and I highly doubt it would overtake IW by Sunday

It was just a guess based on Friday's trend. With Friday stilled, yes it's not overtaking IW on Sunday but probably would do that on Monday. It's performance already far exceeded expectations. Most expected around 100m total for it.

• Thanks 1