Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

How does this get green lighted?  The movie broke about even and did not exactly have the best word of mouth. It had horrible legs at the box office, it was only a hit in 1 market which is one of the worst markets for studios when it comes to their cut and getting paid on time, it was not exactly a huge seller on disk. The similar Godzilla opened much bigger but it too has had horrible legs at the box office.  I am not sure how they can cut the budget down to the 120 range which it needs to be and still have enough to sell the film.  Its not like it was big names eating up the budget on the first one.  Its not like Del Toro is some box office god where you need to fund his passion project to get him to work on a big grossing franchise. 

• Like 1

How does this get green lighted?  The movie broke about even and did not exactly have the best word of mouth. It had horrible legs at the box office, it was only a hit in 1 market which is one of the worst markets for studios when it comes to their cut and getting paid on time, it was not exactly a huge seller on disk. The similar Godzilla opened much bigger but it too has had horrible legs at the box office.  I am not sure how they can cut the budget down to the 120 range which it needs to be and still have enough to sell the film.  Its not like it was big names eating up the budget on the first one.  Its not like Del Toro is some box office god where you need to fund his passion project to get him to work on a big grossing franchise.

Del Toro must be the ultimate pitch man. Second time he's convinced someone (Universal involved) to sequelize one of his underperforming films.Yeah, I dunno on the budget. This has to cost less than the first to have even a shot. Maybe they're coproducing with some a China company?
  • Like 1

I'm still not calling April apart of summer yet, but it is becoming an ambitious month for studios with big budget movies. I predict soon, April will be the new August, and August will be, well old April.

As for Pac Rim 2, yay. I'm not necessarily excited. I thought Pac Rim was cheesy and kinda meh, but it's good to see it back on for the fans that have been wanting it since last summer.

• Like 1

A 2.7x multiplyer is horrible legs... 

• Like 3

And not just a sequel, a full on animated TV show. That's just as huge, this isn't just a 'scraped enough to make a sequel' kind of thing, someone somewhere is putting a lot of confidence behind this.

And I love it.

• Like 4

Reasons why Pacific Rim got a sequel, in order of importance: 

1. China

2. China

3. China

4. Legendary needs franchises (not just sequels, full-on franchises)

5. When Del Toro cares about something he'll try to make it a reality. Hellboy wouldn't have gotten a sequel otherwise. 

• Like 12

You are completely ignoring its home release performance which was probably relatively strong. Del Torro is probably great at pitching, but this is still a business. China is expanding as we all know and when you have the opportunity to lower costs, a chance to make $150m in a territory that is not the US, it is not the most difficult decision. They will likely fix things that people complained about – notably the silly tone of the film and they will market the shit out of it. The April release date is extremely smart and will give this a chance to break out. Say $150-175 domestic, a similar amount in China, and then you have the rest of the world. Good opportunity to make some money. And the first didn't loose money. Green lighting this is just good business. 

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 2

Reasons why Pacific Rim got a sequel, in order of importance: 1. China2. China3. China4. Legendary needs franchises (not just sequels, full-on franchises)5. When Del Toro cares about something he'll try to make it a reality. Hellboy wouldn't have gotten a sequel otherwise.

But I imagine there's finance people behind the scenes who understand...one box office dollar in China is like 25 cents in the US. Granted, maybe it's not just about profits? Or...something? Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

But I imagine there's finance people behind the scenes who understand...one box office dollar in China is like 25 cents in the US. Granted, maybe it's not just about profits? Or...something?

If this makes $150m in China. ~$38m goes to the studios (and that is just with today's terms). That is a lot of money to make from 1 territory. Additionally, expect the share that studios get from Chinese releases to increase. It is only logical and also in the Chinese' interest to allow this so they can keep raking in a huge amount of coin. Hollywood films do astronomical numbers in China and Hollywood is now gaining leverage and the right to change the terms.  By 2017, expect the share to be closer to 40% than 25%. This is obviously speculation, but I do believe this is what will happen. It will not be 25% forever. 

• Like 1