Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

Well, when you see how he treated all the secondary characters that were supposed to build that universe in the first place, they were all cartoony cardboard caricatures at best (australian pilots, the goofy scientists, Perlman's cameo) (and non-entities for the most part, see the russians and chinese pilots), I think he failed to flesh it properly so "expanding" it, I don't even fathom how boring and superficial it could be.(That middle part slog was so trite and cliche trying to build "drama" in a fishtank instead of giving us what we came to see thanks to Hunnam's blandness as a lead)

Blade 2's crew of misfits was more exciting to see interact if I got to choose.

I liked all the characters in the film. I thought they were fun. The film wasn't meant to be deep, but it's so entertaining to watch.

• Like 1

The problem for me wasn't depth. The problem for me was the caricatures were dull and boring. All of them, aside from Elba, also a caricature more or less, and the scientists. And, maybe Pearlman. They were the only characters that truly felt like they belonged. I did fucking love the intro into the universe when they quickly ran through expository stuff. Wish it had lasted longer.

I also felt the score was well intended but sucked. Sucked the whole damn soul outta the flick. Brilliant creature, mech and, really, just general design all around though. I wanted the kaiju to win. The look on collective faces of the aliens breeding/creating when they lost was more emotive than anything from anyone in the film.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

I guess home video sales prove now that sequels can happen because DVD & Blu-Ray sales. Makes me wish Dredd 2 would happen now.

DVD and BluRay sales continue to tumble. If anything they're even less of a factor. They definitely weren't a factor here

• Like 1

If Pacific Rim got a sequel because of home video sales then makes me wonder why Prince of Persia and Dredd didn't get one so soon?  Those two did better on home video then they did in the US.

PAC RIM was at 2.2X at the box office while Persia was at 1.68X must have not be enough in video sales.

• Like 2

Tron Legacy 2 won't happen. Disney knows it lucked out with Tron: Legacy, and the curiosity factor won't get the audiences in again. 

"Tron 2" did WAY better domestically than "PR" so I'm shocked Tron 3 hasn't been greenlit considering but I agree, I think Disney was like OK let's just cut our losses.  But they did do an animated show to keep interest.  Also where are they really going to go with Tron 3? The Son was not a great character like Jeff Bridges.  At least with PR there is more to explore in the universe.  I feel Tron peaked.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1