Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

57 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:
  Hide contents

I almost stood up in the theater and screamed WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE KAIJU. 

So much robot on robot, shit was so mehhhhhhhhhh I was like give me the KAIJUUUUUUUUUUUU. Very disappointed in that aspect. 

These guys forgot, it's not a freakin' Transformers movie. It's about robot-on-monster fighting.

This new production team had a Transformers/robot mech fighting fetish, leaving the monsters to a third act afterthought. Wow...big step down from the first film. Also, there's no one as entertaining as Hannibal Chau.

Making it a Transformers-lite movie, would bring in bigger numbers than the originals mediocre result? Perhaps that was the idea behind this?

But the robots sole purpose was to battle the Kaiju. To turn it into a Transformers bot battle was a strange 180.

Maybe I'm the one that's wrong here 😂...the change could generate a lot more than the 400M of the original, once China and SK factor in? But it could very well backfire on you too! 

Edited by OdinSon2k14

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Looks like PRU blew up in the PRC ... $65m opening weekend in China to offset lackluster USA box office.

That's not a good China number. It was expected to do much more a month ago. I guess China doesn't care for crap movies made only to pander to their market. Someone underestimated China taste, muahahah!

5 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hey! There were still three kaijus rampaging Osaka for 15 minutes full-on action, combining to make a MegaKaiju Megatron-style. That was pure gonzo awesomeness in my book, the only thing better would have been the jaegers combining to make an Ultra-Jaeger as a çounter strike. But that would have been humiliating to PR's poor third act.

Edited by dashrendar44

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's not a good China number. It was expected to do much more a month ago. I guess China doesn't care for crap movies made only to pander to their market. Someone underestimated China taste, muahahah!

Well, it beats the hell out $25m to $30m DOM.  If it opened to about $140m WW, it could easily make money even on a $150m budget. 

Edited by SteveJaros

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Well, it beats the hell out $25m to $30m DOM. 

It doesn't matter. It was supposed to perform better in China given ridiculous 155M budget (for what? No stars whatsoever and cheap looking SFX? Where did the money go? Whose pocket?). I mean, one can put a positive spin if they want but spin is spin not reality.

On a 150m budget, it'll need like 320-350m WW to start seeing a profit. Its opening in China definitely hurts it, but its opening here in the states(28m) is better than what most of us thought it would open too. I would say at this point it needs 200m between just the US(75m) and China(125m). I would think everyone else should get it to over 300m WW. 

Needs to have some legs. I think spring break time will help it here.. maybe get it to 80m? Hopefully its weekdays in China hold and carry for a ok second weekend there.

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Difficult if almost half comes from China which lacks any serious ancillary market. 

I'm not trying to hold on to any hope for this film(I think LP should have gotten Deknight to do a MonsterVerse film instead.. like a Rodan film) but I believe since LP is owned by Wanda they see a bit more money than other US studios. I know there's conflicting reports about this, but it only makes sense they do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cookson said:

I'm not trying to hold on to any hope for this film(I think LP should have gotten Deknight to do a MonsterVerse film instead.. like a Rodan film) but I believe since LP is owned by Wanda they see a bit more money than other US studios. I know there's conflicting reports about this, but it only makes sense they do.

They should get 43% of the B.O. in China as opposed to 25% which helps their B.O.returns.  The problem is China's after market isn't very lucrative in terms of TV, video and streaming.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It doesn't matter. It was supposed to perform better in China given ridiculous 155M budget (for what? No stars whatsoever and cheap looking SFX? Where did the money go? Whose pocket?). I mean, one can put a positive spin if they want but spin is spin not reality.

The reality hasn't been determined yet. We will have to wait until its run is done. I recall that three months ago, "Greatest Showman" was being called  a flop after its opening weekend. 

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

The reality hasn't been determined yet. We will have to wait until its run is done. I recall that three months ago, "Greatest Showman" was being called  a flop after its opening weekend. 

That's a good point but signs are working against PRU. The movie is made for PR fandom only. Audience rating is 58% vs Showman's 88%. That tells me that fans didn't like it. China opening is weaker than expected and based on China Thread it isn't rated all that well on big China sites. Plus, Showman had no direct competition (I don't know if Pitch Perfect 3 was that due to being a musical but doubtful, different audience). This has TR and RPO is coming out on Thursday. And BP is still drawing audience. In short, not a type of a movie that develops late legs. 

• Like 3

This is dead after this week. Between RPO, Quiet Place, Rampage, and - Oh yeah, Infinity War - they could have pushed this to August to go against that other Sci-Fi movie that didn't involve giant robots for those who pretend they're ~sophisticated.

& I don't like the original but I liked this :ph34r:

• Like 1

John Boyega was good and I hope his career comes out of the film unscathed, but the rest of the film was trash, and I say that as a fan of the first film. The characters were all unmemorable cardboard cut outs (Boyega being the sole exception), the tone was cheesy (and before you say “so was the first one”, that had an endearing earnestness to it, whereas this was just pure predictable cheese) and It had none of the heart of the original. It felt more like a SyFy version of Pacific Rim.

I won’t be back for the third film...if they’re lucky enough to get one.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

John Boyega was good and I hope his career comes out of the film unscathed, but the rest of the film was trash, and I say that as a fan of the first film. The characters were all unmemorable cardboard cut outs (Boyega being the sole exception), the tone was cheesy (and before you say “so was the first one”, that had an endearing earnestness to it, whereas this was just pure predictable cheese) and It had none of the heart of the original. It felt more like a SyFy version of Pacific Rim.

I won’t be back for the third film...if they’re lucky enough to get one.

I'm actually amazed that the first one managed a 37M opening w/o any recognizable name (Heimdall is hardly Tony Stark) and being a new property. This one has at Finn from SW that was in theaters til recently (not that he's a proven draw but more people know the actor and character than anyone in the first PR combined) and is a sequel and yet couldn't muster similar numbers. That tells me that when it comes to monster/mecha mash movies, actors are entirely irrelevant. Action/mayhem/creatures either look cool or they don't. That's all that is.