Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

According to Deadline, this movie needs to make 350 million worldwide if it wants to break even ( Deadline also says the production cost might be a little higher at 176 million )...

"We had our film finance sources who assisted with our blockbuster tournament weigh-in, and they figure that at around a $350M global B.O., with China only delivering 43% of that number, that’s about when Pacific Rim: Uprising will trigger downstream ancillaries that will churn a break-even in under two years of about $10.7M. Now, that’s off the insider figure of $155M budget. Some contend that Pacific Rim: Uprising‘s production cost is higher at $176M, and if that’s the case, the movie will need to make another $10M across all ancillaries to hit break-even."

http://deadline.com/2018/03/pacific-rim-uprising-black-panther-weekend-box-office-1202352184/

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

According to Deadline, this movie needs to make 350 million worldwide if it wants to break even ( Deadline also says the production cost might be a little higher at 176 million )...

"We had our film finance sources who assisted with our blockbuster tournament weigh-in, and they figure that at around a $350M global B.O., with China only delivering 43% of that number, that’s about when Pacific Rim: Uprising will trigger downstream ancillaries that will churn a break-even in under two years of about $10.7M. Now, that’s off the insider figure of $155M budget. Some contend that Pacific Rim: Uprising‘s production cost is higher at $176M, and if that’s the case, the movie will need to make another $10M across all ancillaries to hit break-even."

http://deadline.com/2018/03/pacific-rim-uprising-black-panther-weekend-box-office-1202352184/

The first cost 190mil, I will laugh so hard if that 176mil number is correct. That means they barely lowered the budget. 

• Like 2

The only Deadline quote that matters:

Women 25+, who turned up at 22%, gave the sequel its best grades on Screen Engine/ComScore’s PostTrak at 88%, which some believe is because of the guy wattage of John Boyega and Scott Eastwood. 

Well, ladies have spoken, time to close to shop. No more Scott "Guy Wattage" Eastwood bashing. 

2 hours ago, Cookson said:

First made what, 410m WW. Surely Universal thought this would make less unless they were thinking it was going to do a insane China number....which I guess is possible.

Of course they expected a huge increase in China, what they are likely getting though is a decrease. If they can get out of this with breaking even they'll be fortunate, and quickly close the book on the Pacific Rim franchise. 

I enjoyed this film as much as the first tbh. And people are clearly starting to hate on Scott Eastwood because of who he is. He wasn't as terrible as many have said. I thought the secondary pilots had better treatment than the first as well. In the first one they were just there.

I saw the villain twist a mile away though. It was obvious that would play out after the first film. I also like that Beckett's fate was left up in the air.

• Like 1

I liked it well enough. Monsters were indeed punched. Cities were indeed smashed. 

The script had some cool ideas that weren't executed all that well, but what can you do?

Talking after, my friend asked me who the non-Boyega pilot actor was. "Scott Eastwood, Clint's son."  "He should find a new line of work." 

So anecdotally, even someone who didn't know who he was thought he was bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-2-outscores-original-test-screenings-1095838

I still put credence in the earlier reports that some screening were not well received. I saw the later reports stating it wasn’t true and as we see above the studio is trying to ensure that’s out of mind. A studio pouring ober $100 million into a film will of course have a robust backlash-response plan (which would include 90+ grade screenings they can keep in their pocket and point to when needed. Some ‘screenings’ are done internally or with select folks. They count but are not the same as the ones with random people) I hope part 2 is as good or better as the first. I view reports that ‘all is well’ with skepticism.