Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Totally imploding in China, losing ground to BP by the day. Did anyone even expect a decrease for the sequel in China?

Definitely not. Might not even hit 100m there. Crazy. Like I said elsewhere, even you could agree, LP should have gambled with the successful MonsterVerse (let's just say a Rodan film) rather than gamble on PR which didn't make a profit. 

• Like 1

What I don't understand about PRU is why did the studio think that Finn of all people was going to save this movie in China? TFA was rejected by China (WOM was terrible after the international hype-induced OW), RO dropped and everyone could see from miles away that the nose dive would continue. So casting Finn from the movie that China hated and releasing it just few months after China rejected the third SW movie (second with Finn) makes no sense to me. They knew back in 2016 that SW was  DoA in the Middle Kingdom yet they banked between 155-176M on an actor from a DoA franchise. I just don't get it. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They knew back in 2016 that SW was  DoA in the Middle Kingdom yet they banked between 155-176M on an actor from the DoA franchise. I just don't get it. 

While the producers had China in mind, they were probably not thinking only about China. Boyega has to be one of the most famous "cheap" actors in the world (and by all accounts is perfectly fine in PRU).

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

What I don't understand about PRU is why did the studio think that Finn of all people was going to save this movie in China? TFA was rejected by China (WOM was terrible after the international hype-induced OW), RO dropped and everyone could see from miles away that the nose dive would continue. So casting Finn from the movie that China hated and releasing it just few months after China rejected the third SW movie (second with Finn) makes no sense to me. They knew back in 2016 that SW was  DoA in the Middle Kingdom yet they banked between 155-176M on an actor from a DoA franchise. I just don't get it. 

almost none of Chinese general audience like to see a movie led by John Bodega…

Scott Eastwood is not good either. He is handsome but looks unattractive and can’t act. Far worse than his father.

9 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Totally imploding in China, losing ground to BP by the day. Did anyone even expect a decrease for the sequel in China?

I didn't expect one but I didn't think it was impossible either. I think Pacific Rim's popularity everywhere was greatly exaggerated and I believe that Hollywood blatantly pandering to China is terrible and will continue to backfire.

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I think they didn't foresee it when they cast Boyega to play male lead roles.

8 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

almost none of Chinese general audience like to see a movie led by John Bodega…

Scott Eastwood is not good either. He is handsome but looks unattractive and can’t act. Far worse than his father.

I see, even Chen Tao, the admin of Star Wars China fans forum, said the same thing to US media. Some SW's Western fans might not agree with him, but I don't think he was lying since the reaction of Chinese fans on Douban, Weibo pretty much shows you how they feel, they just don't like Boyega.

2 hours ago, flyingflowerz said:

I think they didn't foresee it when they cast Boyega to play male lead roles.

I see, even Chen Tao, the admin of Star Wars China fans forum, said the same thing to US media. Some SW's Western fans might not agree with him, but I don't think he was lying since the reaction of Chinese fans on Douban, Weibo pretty much shows you how they feel, they just don't like Boyega.

Chen Tao used more gentle words to describe how Chinese think about Bodega...:whosad:

Boyega is Finn to Chinese fans and most of the world. That character is the Hawkeye of SW - he has some domestic fans but the rest of the world just shrugs him off. So until the actor builds a resume that makes him Boyega instead of Finn in people's eyes, his immediate movie is going to be viewed as "Finn vs Autobots" and that's not bankable. If he was in F&F, then China may have showed up in bigger numbers, but he was known only as an unpopular character in an unpopular franchise. That was not going to save PR movie brand that was weak to begin with. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 8:51 AM, Valonqar said:

Boyega is Finn to Chinese fans and most of the world. That character is the Hawkeye of SW - he has some domestic fans but the rest of the world just shrugs him off. So until the actor builds a resume that makes him Boyega instead of Finn in people's eyes, his immediate movie is going to be viewed as "Finn vs Autobots" and that's not bankable. If he was in F&F, then China may have showed up in bigger numbers, but he was known only as an unpopular character in an unpopular franchise. That was not going to save PR movie brand that was weak to begin with. 

Boyega carried the entire movie but I agree the casting makes no sense since they were obviously pandering to China (even got that terrible Chinese actress with too much screen-time). People don't like to admit that the Chinese are not fond black leads outside of Will Smith. It's been confirmed by Chinese box office analysts on this site. Black Panther lucked out with MCU brand/huge presales and OW but had terrible WOM. 

And Boyega isn't a draw anywhere else the world either so they could've gotten literally anyone else.

Boyega was cast before Last Jedi imploded in China. It's also not Boyega's fault. PRU is doing average in China because even though the first did well in China, I doubt it stuck in people's minds for the sequel to come out six years later

Edited by John Marston

4 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

PRU headed for an 85%+ drop in China...END OF FRANCHISE.

Probably. Although I thought the first uber expensive under performer was the end of the franchise as well. 85+% in China and 65+% in North America does considerably lower the chances of a 3rd film happening.