Shawn Robbins

VOTES REQUESTED: Do you feel the forums have become too negative at times?

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel the forum has become too negative at times (with regard to how people talk in general and/or to each other)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you post and/or visit the forum more frequently if such negativity was better monitored and controlled?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I guess it's fun to flame? There's so much in The Hobbit thread.Also, compared to YouTube, this place is tame :lol:

But YouTube isn't a moderated forum. This is. The standards should be higher here. Allowing and in some instances encouraging flaming is something the moderators here should avoid.
  • Like 1

I voted No and No.Honestly, since iJack doesn't come here anymore, this place has been a lot more fun for me. I understand how people feel about personal attacks, and those should not be allowed. But from my perspective, ijack is gone and the forum has been lots of fun ever since. I don't feel it is too negative at all.Note: I don't go in a lot of the threads for movies I am not interested in. So I may not be experiencing a lot of the negativity that exists.As for the second question, it is almost impossible for me to visit this site any more than I already do. So a decrease in negativity wouldn't get me here more often.If there are posters who aren't coming here because of the negativity, trolling, or the flame wars, then that needs to change. However, you have to be careful not to change things too much because you don't want to lose what makes this place fun and exciting. The arguing, debating, and clubs keep this place interesting.

• Like 1

I think one of the things that leads to this negativity is pre-movie hype. We are branded "fanboys" or "haters" before films are even released and tormented for having a different opinion. That said, I don't think there need to be stricter rules unless it gets truly personal (which is what the report feature is for). Yes, I do stay away from some threads because of the negativity, but I'd much rather have that than half the board banned for senseless arguments. We're all adults here, and frankly I like the forum the way it is. :flamewar:

Edited by acsc1312
  • Like 1

I think one of the things that leads to this negativity is pre-movie hype. We are branded "fanboys" or "haters" before films are even released and tormented for having a different opinion.That said, I don't think there need to be stricter rules unless it gets truly personal (which is what the report feature is for). Yes, I do stay away from some threads because of the negativity, but I'd much rather have that than half the board banned for senseless arguments. We're all adults here, and frankly I like the forum the way it is. :flamewar:

Who are you kidding? If everyone here were adults, this thread wouldn't exist.This forum has been gradually turning into the imdb boards in the last 6-8 months. I'd give it another year before it fully gets there if some rules don't change. The level of shitty posting and blatant trolling on this forum is at an all time high. Some threads are not even worth opening anymore and I've noticed a number of posters that I respect have disappeared. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

I'm new, although I was around quite a bit in the old BOM days. I agree with the comments above that as long as things don't get personal it's all good. It's funny how it's all doom and gloom one day and then optimism the next (or even sometimes the same day with updated numbers).Everyone has their favourite movies, to be called a 'fanboy' might be offensive to some but it's all pretty harmless really. We all follow the ones we are rooting for, and sometimes the ones we 'root' against too. Its best to remember that and not accuse people who take delight in poorer numbers for your favourite movie of being a 'hater'. We all love movies, that's why we are here.Like others have said I think the hype for some movies causes people who aren't necessarily into that particular movie to want it to fail a little just to see the 'hype makers' eat a little crow. In my short time here, most take the banter with good humour.

Who are you kidding? If everyone here were adults, this thread wouldn't exist.This forum has been gradually turning into the imdb boards in the last 6-8 months. I'd give it another year before it fully gets there if some rules don't change. The level of shitty posting and blatant trolling on this forum is at an all time high. Some threads are not even worth opening anymore and I've noticed a number of posters that I respect have disappeared.

Some people get way too personal and defensive of a film BEFORE THEY'VE EVEN SEEN THE DAMN FILM.Not calling anyone out in particular, but this is a box office forum. People make predictions, everyone is entitled to their own predictions. It's a shame some people on here don't realize that. Edited by Wormow
  • Like 1

I voted Yes because it's the response that comes closest to what I think; but actually, I think "negative" is too strong a word. I do think that certain posters take this stuff far too seriously, and as a result post replies that are over the top or unnecessarily abrasive.

Edited by Ruthie

What are the mods supposed to do? Ban someone the second they say something that isn't all sunshine & rainbows? It's not that serious. It's a message board for God's sake. Very low on the "important things in life" scale.If people bother you then 1) use the ignore function or 2) use the Report button & the mods will take care of it.I feel they do a pretty good job of taking care of issues when people inform them of such issues. They can't monitor every single thread, and if people don't report things, how will they know or take care of it?Only thing I would change is not giving certain members 4,146 chances. If they've been banned for a significant amount of time (1 month +) 4 or 5 times, chances are they'll break the rules again. Don't let them back on.

• Like 1

As a defender of ASM who has endured countless attacks against that movie for almost a year I find it funny that The Hobbit fans can't take a couple weeks of negativity.C'mon, not everyone is going to support what you support. That's life and this place would suck if you were forced to only praise movies or stay silent.If or when GI Joe 2 and The Lone Ranger bombs I want to be able to crack jokes and mock their failure...It's fun.

There are real benefits to allowing trash talk.First, those who attack your movie unjustly get to eat crow or self-exile if your film exceeds expectations. I've seen this happen many times to haters and it's always rewarding.Second, negativity on BOT reflects real world concerns and criticisms so they help accurately predict a films performance. For example, if you only allowed positive comments it would be easy to over-predict movies because almost all pessimistic reasoning has been outlawed.