Shawn Robbins

VOTES REQUESTED: Do you feel the forums have become too negative at times?

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel the forum has become too negative at times (with regard to how people talk in general and/or to each other)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you post and/or visit the forum more frequently if such negativity was better monitored and controlled?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

There will always be people who love a movie/franchise/story and other people who hate the same movie/franchise/story. I am absolutely in favor of free expression. But sometimes you ask yourself why some people waste their time in posting LOTS of messages against the movie/franchise/story of a determined thread. You can not like something, but repeating it 1,000 times is a kind of provocation. I can find some controversial very funny, but there are some cases extremely boring and annoying. I have left some threads and hide one or two posters because of this.

• Like 6

I think that the forums are a bit too negative, but that's perfectly fine. It's part of what makes us what we are. Some sections are worse than others, but I think that by now most of us know what we're getting into if we post in an Oscar thread, or Hobbit, or other more controversial threads.

• Like 1

There will always be people who love a movie/franchise/story and other people who hate the same movie/franchise/story. I am absolutely in favor of free exp<b></b>ression. But sometimes you ask yourself why some people waste their time in posting LOTS of messages against the movie/franchise/story of a determined thread. You can not like something, but repeating it 1,000 times is a kind of provocation. I can find some controversial very funny, but there are some cases extremely boring and annoying. I have left some threads and hide one or two posters because of this.

This is mostly how I feel. It's the constant babbling from either side just goes on and on. it just stops some people from going back to the thread.
  • Like 3

Yes and double yes.Not only should the rules be enforced more often, they should be much stricter.Bold font should be deactivated and words in all caps should be limited to 10% of the total number of words in a post. Anyone trying to insight feuds in a thread should be banned immediately.Also, all bans should be permanent. "If you're prevented from posting for a day, you're prevented from posting for life."

• Like 4

This has become a hot topic I'm hearing from some members lately, and thus occasionally among the staff in some ways. The nature of this forum (and most forums) having so many die hard fan bases populate it and clash over everything naturally results in some pretty negative posts and attitudes flying around. In most cases, its just human nature rearing its ugly head. In others, its a habitual problem.So the two questions are: do you feel the forum (particularly the Box Office section) has been allowed to become too negative? And whether you think it has or hasn't, would you post and/or visit more frequently if there were a way for the staff to cut down the negative and vitriolic comments between/from the fans and "anti-fans" of movies?This is all a part of helping us to improve the forum experience for veterans and newcomers alike, so we please ask you to participate in the polls.

It absolutely has. Theres nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion, but there are quite a few posters that only seem to be here to attack others with whom they disagree with and troll without bringing anything meaningful to the conversation. I'm honestly surprised nothing has been done about this, especially with the more well known offenders.I still love this place for boxoffice purposes, but as far as actually discussing and reviewing movies, I almost entirely do that over at the cinema forums on somethingawful now. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 2

Although it has gotten really negative at times I have yet to put anyone on my ignore list(not even BKB ), so even though it is difficult sometimes it is still tolerable

Ignore is not a fix because if its allowed, it sets a bad example and emboldens more and more people to do it. Especially new people. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

Love the forums.Really the only things that annoy me are when two or three members hijack a thread (aka flame wars) and some of the language gets to be little over the top especially the f bombs. My rule of thumb is if you wouldn't talk to a person in real life that way then you shouldn't on the forums either.

Nah, I like this place just fine. The makeup of this place makes it fun. It's "just right". You've got your occasional troll, but it's still a pretty tame place by Internet standards. I think if mods start cracking down even more, this place will be crickets and balls of hay. Careful what you wish for.

A bit of a rough-and-tumble attitude is fine, but when people resort to namecalling and personal attacks it gets very unpleasant here. That happens a little too often for my taste. I have no problem with people cursing about something, but when they curse at others it becomes a problem. Saying that a movie is a piece of #### is fine, but saying that another member is a ##### definitely is not, at least for me. Most sites would not tolerate that sort of behavior but the moderators here do, and sometimes skirt the line themselves when it comes to civility.