Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

Can we safely agree that GoT is the most important TV series of the 21st century?

When you count the acclaim,awards, popularity and cultural importance across the board I can't see what comes close. And please don't make the effort to start bringing up silly sitcoms with bigger TV ratings, you will be missing the bigger picture.

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Can we safely agree that GoT is the most important TV series of the 21st century?

In terms of importance? No. It has yet to have a major influence on the way TV is made. If the big planned shows for Middle Earth, Wheel of Time, etc actually take off and do well, then we can revisit this.

Just now, 4815162342 said:

In terms of importance? No. It has yet to have a major influence on the way TV is made. If the big planned shows for Middle Earth, Wheel of Time, etc actually take off and do well, then we can revisit this.

Well I can't come with a counter-argument right now. You may very well be right but I don't watch enough American TV to be sure. Give me your pick though.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:05 PM, FantasticBeasts said:

When you count the acclaim,awards, popularity and cultural importance across the board I can't see what comes close. And please don't make the effort to start bringing up silly sitcoms with bigger TV ratings, you will be missing the bigger picture.

A bit of an aggressive way to start a debate tbh.

Anyway, it is up there, of course. But there are other shows that one should not forget. In terms of scale LOST was a series that broke boundaries, as well as in interwoven storylines and the break from the "one monster a weeks" logic of many 90s shows. HOUSE OF CARDS was the series that really let NETFLIX skyrocked which cannot be dismissed despite the sad ending of the show. And yes, MAD MEN and BREAKING BAD but also SIX FEET UNDER, DEXTER, GOOD WIFE, MODERN FAMILY, HOMELAND or SOPRANOS (just to name a few) were series that really established TV and its "stars" (from actors to directors to screenwriters etc) to be as attractive as cinema and on par when it comes to cultural impact and the level of artistic and technical craftmanship.

GAME OF THRONES may channel all of this more than many shows before. But in the end it is one of the most popular of them all - which isn't the same as important (though it is certainly important as it will enable many ambitious projects in the future and maybe even the "next big thing"). The move to streaming and the series that carried that development had the bigger overall impact, though.

Btw, since you blasted sitcoms, while I do agree that there is not a really "important" or influential one in the 21st century, a series such as THE GOLDEN GIRLS has proven that sitcoms can be very influential and even avantgarde (especially when it comes to social topics). What comes closest to that in the 00s might be WILL & GRACE .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

A bit of an aggressive way to start a debate tbh.

Anyway, it is up there, of course. But there are other shows that one should not forget. In terms of scale LOST was a series that broke boundaries, as well as in interwoven storylines and the break from the "one monster a weeks" logic of many 90s shows. HOUSE OF CARDS was the series that really let NETFLIX skyrocked which cannot be dismissed despite the sad ending of the show. And yes, MAD MEN and BREAKING BAD but also SIX FEET UNDER, DEXTER, GOOD WIFE, MODERN FAMILY, HOMELAND or SOPRANOS (just to name a few) were series that really established TV and its "stars" (from actors to directors to screenwriters etc) to be as attractive as cinema and on par when it comes to cultural impact and the level of artistic and technical craftmanship.

GAME OF THRONES may channel all of this more than many shows before. But in the end it is one of the most popular of them all - which isn't the same as important (though it is certainly important as it will enable many ambitious projects in the future and maybe even the "next big thing"). The move to streaming and the series that carried that development had the bigger overall impact, though.

Btw, since you blasted sitcoms, while I do agree that there is not a really "important" or influential one in the 21st century, a series such as THE GOLDEN GIRLS has proven that sitcoms can be very influential and even avantgarde (especially when it comes to social topics). What comes closest to that in the 00s might be WILL & GRACE .

Well I get where you are going with this. Maybe the word 'important' is not the most fitting for GoT in the sense that it wasn't that pioneering in any field but imho, it went further than any other show in many many directions. And also, yeah I don't think any of the titles you mentioned have the worldwilde popularity and cultural relevance of GoT. Sure there are some huge titles up there but GoT is just absolutely massive and given it's nature its popularity is far more impressive than most of these shows.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ShouldIBeHere said:

Again, I was talking importance in terms of impact on TV series as a whole. You now talk about popularity and what is "impressive". That is something quite different.

Which I acknowledged by saying that 'important' is probably not the right word when it comes to GoT against the other shows.

On 12/17/2018 at 5:05 AM, FantasticBeasts said:

Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.  Breaking Bad is better written, it consistently gets better with every season and its impressively cumulative to the point where there is almost no fat/filler in the entire show across 5 seasons.  Game of Thrones obviously much bigger in scope and in viewership and its the first TV show of its type to have top of the line costumes/visual effects.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 6:32 PM, AndyK said:

This is the biggest thing in the world right now, Entertainment wise.

If it were a movie, it would be the first to break $3bn WW and Avengers End Game would be moving out of its way.

Movie will not be able to cover all expect as a TV show did. In TV show we gets closer to tiny characters, their stories,etc....

Its best as a TV show...don't ruin it....

8 hours ago, salenaafox4430 said:

Movie will not be able to cover all expect as a TV show did. In TV show we gets closer to tiny characters, their stories,etc....

Its best as a TV show...don't ruin it....

empire-april-2019-got-news.jpg

Edited by DMan7