Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

I completely understand why anyone would disregard this episode as "stupidity to get to a visual". A cool visual, indeed, but there were lots of stuff that admitedly did feel forcefully steered into that direction. And yes, there was a lot of frustration to be deal with...

Spoiler

The Benjen thing alone was just an exercise in "WTF, what are you doing and why am I supposed to care about you Deus Ex Machina'ing yourself out here to save Jon's ass and nobly sacrificing yourself completely out of nowhere? Can't you just get on the horse and ride off with Jon as well?".

Aaaaand we'll not even begin to talk about the mad insanity of the idea of going beyond the Wall anyway just to catch one dead guy anyway.... just to try to convince Cersei of all people. Do they not know Cersei?

That being said, I think that the show recognized the stupidity itself, and kinda tried to replace it with buffonish bravery by our heroes, and I think they did a pretty good job. The chemistry and the dialogue fleshed out these characters very nicely all in all, I would say, and to be fair, there are also some decisions that I think people are criticizing just for the hell of it when I think make damn good, if not perfect sense...

Spoiler

"Why did Dany fly into the fight even though she said it was stupid of Jon Snow to do so himself?" - Well, because she had strong confidence in her dragons and flight power, things that Jon didn't have. What could any White Walker do about dragons? Little did she know, but still, c'mon, was it a stretch to think you could wipe out those armies by yourself and rescue Jon when you have dragons?

"Why was Gendry sent out there as 'the fastest'"? - I don't think it's because he's "faster", it's just because he's the lesser combatant of the group, and they wanted to protect him while keeping the dead at bay as he made his way towards Eastwatch. Granted, there was an obvious risk of him getting captured/killed by the dead army on his way and having no form of defending himself, but nevertheless.

The bait-and-switch stuff with Arya and Sansa was also entertaining, and fuck it, I was not bothered by the slow pace of the episode at all. I feel like people who were bothered were probably expecting balls to the wall crazy action from start to finish (yeah right, in a 1 hour+ episode, you'll sure get that....), and were left disappointed by that.

So I liked it. Can't say I liked it more than Episode 4 or anything, but I feel like if this is gonna be a divisive episode, I'm gonna side with the positivity. For now at least.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

Sorry. But the teleporting has become ridiculous. And no - that is not just complaining for complaining's sake and I do understand why many others feel like that as well. Also, dumb decisions are not something to make the show more realistic... simply because it does not fit the way decisions were formed and explained earlier in the series. Now this development is thrown away to speed up the show. Makes for some great and fast television - but I think one should also give a little credit to those who are a bit disappointed by it.

And after the Dorne disaster the Arya/Sansa plotline proves once again that B&B are very much able to write truly bad television.

Still, this season remains rather satisfying. Especially as GRRM is unable to deliver his version of the finale in any reasonable timeline.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

@MCKillswitch123

That being said, I think that the show recognized the stupidity itself, and kinda tried to replace it with buffonish bravery by our heroes, and I think they did a pretty good job. The chemistry and the dialogue fleshed out these characters very nicely all in all, I would say, and to be fair, there are also some decisions that I think people are criticizing just for the hell of it when I think make damn good, if not perfect sense...

And I take that over better plot any day. To me, likable characters with great chemistry are always more enraging, even in a stupid plot, than a good plot with characters one wants to punch in the face. There are great shows that I couldn't continue to watch cause I hated all characters. I stopped watching TWD recently cause I realized I don't care about anyone any more. They are all unlikable and I was sticking around just to see who dies and how. But with way obvious plot armor around several main characters, what's the point?

I don't mind GoT plot armor cause I still care for the characters. But TWD jumped the shark for me. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

The title of the finale is confirmed to be "The Dragon and the Wolf"

Makes me pretty hyped tbh

"The Wolf and the Lion" - Season 1 kicks into gear

"The Lion and the Rose" - Joffrey gets poisoned

"The Mountain and the Viper" - Viper gets head smashed

So these titles are saved (or won't be used at all) for season 8!

The Great War

Azor Ahai

A Time for Wolves

The Night King

Ice and Fire

The Dream of Spring

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

@MCKillswitch123

And I take that over better plot any day. To me, likable characters with great chemistry are always more enraging, even in a stupid plot, than a good plot with characters one wants to punch in the face. There are great shows that I couldn't continue to watch cause I hated all characters. I stopped watching TWD recently cause I realized I don't care about anyone any more. They are all unlikable and I was sticking around just to see who dies and how. But with way obvious plot armor around several main characters, what's the point?

I don't mind GoT plot armor cause I still care for the characters. But TWD jumped the shark for me. 

I'm with you on TWD. It's quite telling that a dragon's death affected me more than anybody dying during the last three seasons of TWD.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wadey Wilsoney said:

I'm with you on TWD. It's quite telling that a dragon's death affected me more than anybody dying during the last three seasons of TWD.

hear, hear!:bravo:

The title of the finale is confirmed to be "The Dragon and the Wolf"

Jonerys! ;)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Mother fuck!!! The leaks DID affect the ratings

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-aug-20-2017/

10.236 million viewers. Down from the 10.7 million from last week.

I pray all the seven gods that no leaks come out from now on. Come on it's only 5 days people, be fucking patient.

Edited by Boxx93

3 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Mother fuck!!! The leaks DID affect the ratings

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-aug-20-2017/

10.236 million viewers. Down from the 10.7 million from last week.

I pray all the seven gods that no leaks come out from now on. Come on it's only 5 days people, be fucking patient.

Well it still is the second highest they have ever got. Not shabby at all. The finale is guarranteed to get 11m viewers, 12m may be on the table.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1

OK, I've become obsessed with NK Bran in the past 10 hours, lol, so I browsed theories and one that sounds very good to me is

that 3 Eyed Raven's "you will never walk, but you will fly" wasn't just about warging but that he will fly on Wight Viserion.

I'm likely totally off. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

One question...when it comes to the arcs of Cersei, Dany, Jon, etc...have they asked George R.R Martin how it would end? Did he gave them somewhat of an idea to work with?

I imagine he gave them a broad overview of how he intended for things.

But they're free to do things differently and there's also no guarantee he hasn't changed his mind about some things.

For example last year I think he hinted that he's going down one particular new plot direction that the show can't do because of certain choices D&D made in earlier seasons.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

So these titles are saved (or won't be used at all) for season 8!

The Great War

Azor Ahai

A Time for Wolves

The Night King

Ice and Fire

The Dream of Spring

More like No Time for Wolves

• Sad 2