A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

2 minutes ago, Kalo said:

So when can we see a trailer for this? will the CinemaCon trailer be released to the public?

I doubt we get a trailer until Ghostbusters, maybe Independence Day/Shallows if we're lucky.

Edited by WrathOfHan

5 hours ago, misafeco said:

I really hope this movie breaks out, not only for the actors in it, rather because this is the only (?) big budget (non-animated) original movie this year which has a decent chance to make big business.

Yeah.  Completely apart from seeing Jen and Chris Pratt, and sheerly liking the sound of it, I would really like to see more original material in theaters.

So when can we see a trailer for this? will the CinemaCon trailer be released to the public?

It was 3-4 minutes long, isn't that a bit long for most trailers?  I would love to see it, though.  The effects weren't completely finished, so I don't expect to see it for a while.  I am hoping to see it with X-Men Apocalypse, but that might be too early.

Edited by trifle

15 minutes ago, trifle said:

I am hoping to see it with X-Men Apocalypse, but that might be too early.

I think it could land with XMA.

Sony released the First teaser poster for Spectre on March 17 and the First one for Angrybirds on Sept 22, (2015). The first teaser poster for this could be oficially released very soon.

In the other hand, the first teaser for Spectre was released on march 27 and the one for Angry Birds on Sept 23, as you can see there are exactly 8 months between the teasers and the movies release date.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I doubt we get a trailer until Ghostbusters, maybe Independence Day/Shallows if we're lucky.

Yeah, I've read reports from Cinemacon that the vfx is still very rough.  Independence Day/Shallows would be a good time to launch a teaser trailer but Ghostbusters makes the most sense. 

With full longer trailer (3min) probably coming with Magnificent Seven. 

Edited by babz06

More I hear about this more excited I am getting. The fall/winter releases is going to makeup for the boring summer movies this year.  I get done with the semester next Friday but nothing to lookforward to. i wish winter breaks was 3 months instead of summer Mid October- Mid January would be a nice three months. 

I didn't see any write ups of the CinemaCon footage response here.  I don't know if it is because some are a bit spoilery at least vaguely, and that isn't allowed?  I'm going to post a few.

CinemaCon: Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt's chemistry in Passengers is out of this world

The effects are jaw-dropping, but Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt's chemistry could make Passengers the sci-fi blockbuster to beat in 2016

Telegraph Article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/passengers/jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-cinemacon-footage/

‘Passengers’ With Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt Dazzles at CinemaCon

Variety: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/passengers-jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-1201752187/

‘Passengers’ First Peek: Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt Get Sexy in Space

The Wrap: http://www.thewrap.com/passengers-first-peek-jennifer-lawrence-and-chris-pratt-get-sexy-in-space/

Passengers Footage Delivers Chris Pratt And Jennifer Lawrence Greatness At CinemaCon

FULL WALK THROUGH OF FOOTAGE BY CINEMACON - SPOILERY: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Passengers-Footage-Delivers-Chris-Pratt-Jennifer-Lawrence-Greatness-CinemaCon-124467.html

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

My favorite non-spoilery quote about the Passengers footage shown at CinemaCon comes from the LA Times:

What happens when you put two of the most sought-after actors in Hollywood alone together in space? Something kind of amazing, apparently.  OK, sure, so the odds that a film co-starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence would suck are, admittedly, slim. But until Sony previewed a few minutes from Morten Tyldum’s sci-fi romance, we had no idea just how good this thing might be.

I hope we get a trailer soon.

• Like 2

I know it's early since we haven't seen any footage yet, but what would you say is the bar for success for this movie?

The obvious comps would be other recent space adventures like Interstellar, The Martian and Gravity, IMHO. That's 188m, 228.4m, and 274m respectively.

But then none of those was a space romance... So I'm not really sure what's a reasonable number to expect without inflating expectations due to star power alone.

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

I know it's early since we haven't seen any footage yet, but what would you say is the bar for success for this movie?

The obvious comps would be other recent space adventures like Interstellar, The Martian and Gravity, IMHO. That's 188m, 228.4m, and 274m respectively.

But then none of those was a space romance... So I'm not really sure what's a reasonable number to expect without inflating expectations due to star power alone.

It's really hard to tell without seeing a trailer first to know what they are really aiming for with this movie. But I suspect that, given its stars, anything below 3 digits would definitely be a disappointment.

10 hours ago, JennaJ said:

I think if the movie's budget is reasonable (around Martian's 100ish million) even a gross below all these movies with something like 160m DOM/ 400m WW would make it a big success. Especially if it is as small scale as the premise sounds. I don't care either way if it does 400m or 500m or over Gravity, I just want it to be a hit for the space movie streak to continue.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

I think if the movie's budget is reasonable (around Martian's 100ish million) even a gross below all these movies with something like 160m DOM/ 400m WW would make it a big success. Especially if it is as small scale as the premise sounds. I don't care either way if it does 400m or 500m or over Gravity, I just want it to be a hit for the space movie streak to continue.

Believe the budget was rumored to be 120m.

6 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Believe the budget was rumored to be 120m.

That is what I have heard as well, but I'm wondering if they might not end up putting a bit more money into the effects, even, now that they know (are confident) they have a winner on their hands.  Cf53zsDWQAAgLw9.jpgchairman-of-sony-picture-entertainment-m

Sony apparently made it clear when they presented the clip to an international event in (I think) Russia, that this is their big picture of the year, or words to that effect.  So I am cautiously hopeful. But I don't want to get my hopes up too far.  Telegraph saying this and Rogue One are the destination movies of the holiday period gets my hopes up, and they aren't the only one who saw the CinemaCon footage and put it in a grouping with Rogue One.  But I'm planning on being happy with Gravity numbers, if it makes those.  And I am still a bit nervous about it opening a week after Rogue One does.

It also matters if this turns out to be a prestige movie or not, and I don't think we know that yet. 

Edited by trifle