A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I can only speak for myself, but my interest in Rotten Tomatoes scores are not because I rely on them to decide if I should like a film or not (I am able to love or hate, like or dislike, a film without need for "approval" from critics). Certainly reviews are opinions, and different opinions from different perspectives give me a sense of whether I may like a film or not, but doesn't determine my opinion of a film. I'm essentially just interested in critical reception via Rotten Tomatoes in the same way we like to quantify box office success and spend hours of our time talking about box office. It's fun and interesting to follow.

Also, related to the RT trolling, 'Passengers' is very negatively reviewed on Rotten Tomatoes, it's just not the 'Passengers' we're talking about: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009239-passengers    :P

@La Binoche: I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the expectation of bad reviews has been because of a couple insiders on these forums expressing very negative thoughts on the film, that it would not be a critical success, etc. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I think I'll quite like this now.  I had started to develop bad feelings about it.

Err, keep your expectations low anyway. The lower your expectations the lower your disappointment will be just in case. 

I may have liked it, but the people I went to watch the movie with were extremely divided on the film. That might turn out to be the general consensus. 

• Like 4

Personally I'm keeping expectations low to avoid disappointment. No Doubt EmpireCity's constant warnings have played a part, but I also take into account that a few people who have seen it liked it quite a bit.

I'm expecting it to be divisive, but I expect to like it myself. I think keeping a reasonable bar is key.

If it gets middling-to-bad reviews, well that's basically what's expected at this point. If it gets better than expected reviews, great.

Edited by JennaJ

On 12/10/2016 at 1:31 AM, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not Fishnets so I don't really give a flying fuck about this shit, but Jennifer Lawrence's public persona might be the most obnoxious thing in modern Hollywood history. "Har har, I love food so much!! Watch me vomit on the carpet at a formal event and fall down drunk! I'm so relatable! Pizza! Hey watch me destroy a sacred burial ground with my butt and stomp all over people's culture! I'm so relatable." Like I said, I don't really care: if she gives good performances, she's cool with me. But there's like a legion of posters on here who flood topics with Jlaw gossip and tabloid pictures and insult anyone who doesn't love every movie she's in. Someone gotta say something. It's like her fanbase has gone the way of DC/Marvel.

Did La Binoche hack his account? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, misafeco said:

Every movie has special screenings, but the "normal" press screenings are different. They're at the beginning of the week of release most of the time. Usually some of the big newspapers and other special (or lucky) people can watch the movie before that, but the majority of the press can't before regular press screenings.

Only the Vanity Fair screening was called a special screening, all the others were press screenings.  I know Collider and Tapley saw it amongst others.

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I said weeks ago and will say it again now that I know even more people who have seen it, keep lowering your expectations.  

No, I'm done with that.  I was concerned when you first said that, but everything I am hearing now says I am going to love it.  I want a good RT score not because I myself care what critics I disagree with say, but because others do, and with an original sci fi property, people may be more likely to look to RT as a guide than with a franchise, etc.

5 hours ago, Goffe said:

@EmpireCity said he heard it's bad and a brazillian member of the golden gloves posted a tweet saying it's horrible.

But now we've had reactions from others who really liked it, too, so I am thinking critics may be divided, not that it is bad. 

10 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Been busy with work all day. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Knowing almost nothing of it (all I knew was it had Pratt and Lawrence and saw a bit of one trailer), my first impression upon leaving the screening room was that it was a beautiful if flawed film. The visuals are great in 3D. Pratt and Lawrence were both wonderful. Played their parts superbly and liked the humor. The ship design was wonderful in itself. Reminded me of several sci fi movies and games I've played. 

What makes this movie is the story. That ending. I think I'll give it a B+ for now. 

@Goffe I think there might be some divisiveness over some things. I can already see people criticizing certain scenes (especially towards the end in the film). I dunno if it'll get truly horrible reviews, but I don't expect unanimous praise either. This is my opinion though. 

Thank you!

I just want a fun night (or three) at the movies with spectacular visuals and stellar effects.  Sounds like that is what I will get!

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2016 at 6:13 AM, Cochofles said:

I have lost most of the love I had for her after all her poor-little-rich-girl-who-gets-paid-fewer-millions-than-her-male-costars BS and now this. I don't mind being called an SJW, so I will say this: her flimsy "I was trying to be self-deprecating" excuse, which is her usual cop-out every time she puts her foot in her mouth, was lame, especially after seeing the  disdainfultone she used and the way she phrased her words about the sacred site. And yes, her "I am a real person...like you. I am so relatable and down to earth" schtick is transparently fake and annoying as heck. But whatever, haters gonna hate, I guess...

6 hours ago, Cochofles said:

39 % Rotten 
Average Rating: 5.2/10 
Reviews Counted: 194 
Fresh: 75 
Rotten: 120 
Pratt and Lawrence valiantly try to elevate the material with their individual charms, but there is a palpable lack of romantic chemistry, while the director, Morten Tyldum, fails to steer John Spaihts' undercooked script into a narratively cohesive whole.

and here you are camping on this thread...hope the RT score for this one lighten up your Christmas

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I want to be clear I am not saying it is bad, but mixed.  I hope it succeeds as I do with pretty much every film.  Thousands of people pour all their efforts and millions of dollars into these movies and no reason to ever want to see them fail.  

Won't someone think of the teamsters?!

50 minutes ago, trifle said:

Only the Vanity Fair screening was called a special screening, all the others were press screenings.  I know Collider and Tapley saw it amongst others.

Special = not everywhere. There are thousands of not-special press screening in big cities before a movie opens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misafeco said:

Special = not everywhere. There are thousands of not-special press screening in big cities before a movie opens.

I've heard of a bunch of them, but I've only really been tracking the ones Jen and Pratt attended.

Czaz-mcXEAAave7.jpg:large

Edited by trifle

5 hours ago, trifle said:

Embargo ends on the day/night the entertainment world is going to be obsessed with the new Star Wars movie?

Not accusing them of a Friday Night News Dump*, but they sure could have better timing... :unsure:

* Especially since it's Thursday Afternoon/Morning. ;)

Still, given the release date, not sure when the best time would be to end the embrago, given the near blanket coverage R1 is going to get over the weekend and Monday.

=====

Saw an ad for this on MNF for what its worth. :)

• Like 2

I doubt people will be interested in watching another space/sci-fi/fantasy film right after Rogue One. Moreover, one which is getting mixed to negative reviews. We will find out what star power, if any, does Chris Pratt and Jennifer have. Magnificent 7 was a box-office disappointment. When you put Chris+Jennifer together in a blockbuster wannabe then you expect minimum 200M domestically. Anything less won't cut it.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

So many nattering nabobs of negativity. So far haven't seen anything to indicate this will be a bad film. And even in the context of science fiction saying the response will be mixed still has a lot of potential. (eg., 2001). I expect this to be a sci fi romance. Works for me.  

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, straggler said:

So many nattering nabobs of negativity. So far haven't seen anything to indicate this will be a bad film. And even in the context of science fiction saying the response will be mixed still has a lot of potential. (eg., 2001). I expect this to be a sci fi romance. Works for me.  

If it was well done sci-fi romance then critics would have lapped it up even if other areas were not strong. But something tells me that this isn't the romantic OMG sci-fi movie which it was billed out to be when it was announced with the hottest actors in hollywood