Nova

Wednesday #s: Baywatch 1.25M in previews

Let me be amused...Top Critics now prefer Baywatch to Pirates by %...wonder if this will flip among all critics by tomorrow (since Pirates has sunk to 26% and Baywatch has risen to 21%)...

There's an amusing ad to be made "Come watch the critically preferred movie of the weekend"!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

Some comparisons from Deadline for those wondering: 

The studio is currently comping Baywatch‘s evening cash to such mid-week R-rated comedies as We’re the Millers ($1.7M) and Let’s Be Cops ($1.2M). We’re the Millers went on to make a $6.8M Wednesday before legging out to a $26.4M three-day and $37.9M five-day. Let’s Be Cops earned $5.2M on its first day including previews, and then $17.8M over three and $26.2M over five.

Didn't those two films both come out late in the summer? I don't really think they are good comparisons.

• Like 1

Analysis from HSX
https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=422245

Posted by: islander (a.k.a islander2) on May 25, 08:34 BAYWT - $1.25m Wednesday poorly recieved, like baywatch. not true apple to apple, as 3rd in a series would have diminishing returns vs an "original' film like bayw, but hangover 3 did 62.1M over 5 days after a 3.1M wed night, thats a 20x multiplier if baywatch did 1.25M and we times that by 20, we get... #$%@!

Edited by TalismanRing

57 minutes ago, Nova said:

Some comparisons from Deadline for those wondering: 

The studio is currently comping Baywatch‘s evening cash to such mid-week R-rated comedies as We’re the Millers ($1.7M) and Let’s Be Cops ($1.2M). We’re the Millers went on to make a $6.8M Wednesday before legging out to a $26.4M three-day and $37.9M five-day. Let’s Be Cops earned $5.2M on its first day including previews, and then $17.8M over three and $26.2M over five.

Much better comparaison also from Deadline in case you still wondering:

....Other comps to Johnson and Efron pics are hard, since they typically previewed on a Thursday night. Last year, Efron’s Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising grossed $1.67M on its preview night (vs. the original’s $2.5M) which continued on to make $8.8M on Friday and $21.8M opening. Comparing Baywatch to Johnson’s pics San Andreas and Central Intelligence doesn’t make sense as both were PG-13. The wrestler-turned-actor’s last R-rated film was Michael Bay’s Pain and Gain which drew $750K on its Thursday night followed by a $7.5M Friday and $20.2M opening....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Much better comparaison also from Deadline in case you still wondering:

....Other comps to Johnson and Efron pics are hard, since they typically previewed on a Thursday night. Last year, Efron’s Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising grossed $1.67M on its preview night (vs. the original’s $2.5M) which continued on to make $8.8M on Friday and $21.8M opening. Comparing Baywatch to Johnson’s pics San Andreas and Central Intelligence doesn’t make sense as both were PG-13. The wrestler-turned-actor’s last R-rated film was Michael Bay’s Pain and Gain which drew $750K on its Thursday night followed by a $7.5M Friday and $20.2M opening....

Pain & Gain was also an April release.  All schools aren't out yet but a lot of colleges are

Neighbors 2 is a better comp - Baywatch isn't a sequel but it's playing off a known brand.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I personally love Shrek 2, which also got a last minute switch to its release date which was not corrected in many ads and which led to less screens/theaters than it truly opened in...if we're picking movies to match a situation we really haven't had before:)...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I personally love Shrek 2, which also got a last minute switch to its release date which was not corrected in many ads and which led to less screens/theaters than it truly opened in...if we're picking movies to match a situation we really haven't had before:)...

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'll never forget when Weinstein moved H8ful up a day literally the day before release :lol: 

There was the entire cluster with the release of Star Trek Into Darkness where no one actually knew when it was playing due to the ridiculous rollout.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

As said I have no idea how to read that number, considering pretty much no one knew it came out today/last night. I only learned last week! Why did they move it?

Paramount is high on weekday releases with this and Transformers, apparently :lol: 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

As said I have no idea how to read that number, considering pretty much no one knew it came out today/last night. I only learned last week! Why did they move it?

That's been the unknown on this movie...they moved it but didn't even change all the national ads...if it's like Shrek 2, it could have a poor Thursday and still rebound high on the weekend (Shrek 2 had a pretty bad vs expectations Wed/Thurs before a huge weekend)...