baumer

Wonder Woman (2017)

Grade it  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Better than the other DCEU movies. The action is handled deftly. The pacing is slow and the movie takes too long to hit its stride. Gal Gadot is a good fit. Chris Pine is fine.

Expecting a great movie based on the reviews, I have to say I was disappointed.

B-

• Like 2

7/10, B+

I rated it just as high as the first Thor which is probably the best comparison here. Some things were handled better in Thor (family issues), some in Wonder Woman (romance) - in fact, WW might have been A material with a little more confidence from the writers. Sadly, the greek myths were garbled much worse than the norse ones in Thor (with no reason that I could discern), and then it became positvely dumbed down at the end (I really thought "cool idea" when the final goodbye happened in shell-shock and we couldn't understand anything ... then of course they had to playback that bit a few minutes later with sound as if we didn't get it the first time round ... and the message that "love will save the world" is so trite it doesn't even earn serious pondering)

Still an enjoyable outing, I especially like how Wonder Woman always enjoys joining battle (as does Thor) - her ferocious smile was easily the best thing in BvS!

Edited by IndustriousAngel

I saw this on opening weekend so idk why I'm posting my review this late lmao, but ima give it an 89% (A-) so good job gorls !

Firstly lets talk about some cons: 

OprahTalking.gif

- why does miss queen of the DC universe keep losing ha shield? is there mythology behind it that it's always gonna appear to her in time of need or somethin? because sis..... that shit was mighty absent throughout lol

- and sis what's the tea with that sword of hers? because miss Ares thought it was cute to destroy it and what not nd then like later wonder woman had it back, so how did that happen?

- so um where was miss thing headed at the end of the film ? bc all I saw was a boat and ha ass jumping off the roof..... like sis what's good?

And now onto the pros !!!!!!: 

tumblr_inline_ork0m8oY4Q1qfemna_400.gif

-  ICONIC how miss Diana Prince didn't need ha sword to beat Ares! She tore that ass up with the WHIP ! Go off miss thing !

- BITCH +10 for that Chris Pine scene, he was butt ass naked in the movie nd I was 110% HERE FOR IT !!!!! (i can't believe joss whedon's dumb ass was gon have the scene switched around nd have miss queen change in front of Steve. boy bye)

- oh, and all of a sudden i have a new crush on chris pine 

damn all these chrises lmaosjdienod we got Mr. Evans (my mans), Mr. Hemsworth (my sugar daddy), Mr. Pratt (my boo thang), and now Mr. Pine (my three night stand). anyways BACK to wonder woman

-  GORL I loved miss gadot, sista gorl can act nd I felt everything she was feelin too (and also men ain't shit)

- I liked the lil crew wonder woman had, they were cute characters nd what not and I guess miss jenkins did what she could with them in so little time

- i loved miss Etta Candy nd I know it's unlikely but i'd love to see ha ass in a sequel lmao

And like other comments I had (i'm literally just pasting from the notes I took on the ride home lol):

- some parts of the movie reminded me of Captain America lmao idk

- .....i was lowkey waitin on a "Wonder Woman will return for the Justice League" at the end or somethin

But yeah, overall, I would give the film a 79% but bc of that Chris scene it's gon be an 89%. 

• Like 3

First time I saw this, it was a 7/10. Second time it was an 8 and third time it was a 9. Never thought I'd say it but Wonder Woman was f***ing awesome! Characters are so well rounded, Diana herself had a well fleshed-out arc, and the action my god it was incredible. 

If if anyone on here hasn't seen this yet, I recommend that you do. I've actually gotten a lot of people to check it out at my theatre, when they would come to the box office window and ask what they should see, I tell them this one is well worth their time, and I haven't had a single person come back and complain!

• Like 2

This movie was a blast.

The problem with prior DCEU movies were not tone. It was that their stories were not streamlined enough. This had a very streamlined story and is all the better for it. It understands its basic story structure and organically derives humor from its fish out of water storyline.

A

• Like 2

After the disasters that were BvS and SS, this is exactly what DC needed: A solid film that restores faith and interest in the brand. Wonder Woman is a typical origin story that brings nothing really new to the table outside the titular character. Gadot is very good as WW, she and Chris Pine were the best part of the movie. Its a very enjoyable and fast paced adventure that finally brings Colour into this grey franchise. I wasnt a big fan of the CGI fest at the end, the special effects were really lacking there and the twist with Ares was kinda laughable. But the rest of the movie was good enough to make up for that.

7/10, B.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

I really really really enjoyed this movie. It had a lot of heart. Something that has been missing in the DCEU. Thank you Patty Jenkins. Thank you so much.

Firstly i would just like to say that i did not believe that Gal Gadot would be able to carry her own movie. I didn't think she had the acting chops for such a role. Boy was i proven wrong. She was amazing. I truly believed she was Wonder Woman. I liked her in BvS but got worried as we never saw really saw much of her, so i relied on her past acting roles. All i can do is congratulate her for a job well done. She is truly an actress. One who will improve by every movie i am sure. Also she is absolutely gorgeous. What a beautiful specimen to look at. 

As for everyone else...they all did a job well done. Steve especially was great and my word did he have a great chemistry with Gal. Seriously for me it was one of the best onscreen couples in a long time. It was also very poignant at the end :(

The story barring the end was cool. It didn't need to be exceptional and it wasn't but for Diana it was perfect. It showed her child like understanding of the world and her solution paid off. Maybe we all need to think like children; no hate, no prejudice just peace and love. The ending with Ares i guess served its purpose. i would have just liked him to have had more scenes throughout the movie. Not as Ares but as his human character. When he popped up at the end i didn't really feel any betrayal or any sort. 

The visual effects were quite Snydery at times. I used to enjoy seeing Snyders artistic style but not anymore. Not to say wonder Woman was like it, just some elements when it came to the action. But overall they were decent.

The fight choreography was awesome. I did feel some punches and elbows thrown were quite lazy and not very hard hitting. But overall the Amazons kicked ass.

The movie was fun and quite funny at times. There weren't many Marvel type jokes (thank god!) but the ones they used were quite funny and fit the story. 

One scene for me stuck out most. That dance scene (swaying) with Steve and Diana, and then when he dropped her off to the bedroom. Something about it, was just so beautiful. Maybe because of their chemistry. That part where he drops her off and is about to leave and you can just see the attraction in their eyes. It was not lust, but something more. Anyways it just felt well directed to me. 

i think the only gripe about this film is Ares as previously mentioned. I don't think they should have had him killed all the Gods, because that makes him overpowered. Perhaps have had him switched allegiance to another God (Darkseid). Perfect set up for Justice League. But anyways missed opportunity there. I'm sure they will bring back her Patrons in the sequel or something.

Also now that i think about it i think the slow scenes were at times dragging. perhaps they could have been sped up somehow. 

One thing i don't understand. How do they know over 100 languages if they have not interacted with the modern world for thousands of years? Also after Ares was defeated the German soldiers started to hug each other or were they the British? I don't recall them arriving. Perhaps i missed it.

Overall though not much to complain. This movie impressed me. I am so glad to see such strong females displayed on screen. That is not to say women have not headlined movies or shown female empowerment. It was just the message of love and peace coming from a woman who cares. It reminded me of the love that my mother has displayed towards me and my sisters. The hard work my wife puts into taking care of me (SHHHH dont tell her that!) and the future i see for my daughter. As a father of a 2 year old, i feel so happy that i will be able to show my daughter when she is of age this superhero. I can feel proud of whatever she wants to be in life....a doctor (i'm south Asian what the hell). 

Anyways, i think it is quite evident i loved this movie. I hope it does not diminish in any future viewings. This has really got me excited for Justice League if nothing else just to see more of her story.

A

9/10 Only because i felt some scenes dragged at times.

• Like 2

Wonder Woman gets it right. A thrilling origin story that feels utterly unique despite its clear influences. Despite an obnoxious framing device designed to remind you of an overbearing cinematic universe, the film is clearly belongs to Gadot's Diana. Both Diana and Gadot are stellar in their roles in the storytelling and as an actor; Gadot comes across as utterly perfect as Wonder Woman, making it impossible to imagine another actress playing her. More importantly though, Diana is fantastic; the first hero put forward by DC Films in years that actually is worth aspiring towards. She's charming, reasonably flawed, funny, and a badass, everything Wonder Woman should be. The film blends her mythological background with a WWI setting in a way that actually feels really fresh. The action, although clearly influenced by Snyder, is nearly always awesome and that theme still gives me chills.

Most of all, the best thing about the film is the direction. Patty Jenkins does not really give the film a style or flare, but it doesn't feel like it came out of a house. She knows when to let the camera linger or when to cut to make an emotional impact. Moreover, she knows why this movie is unfortunately important. The first female-led superhero movie in more than a decade, Jenkins smartly and subtly takes on the gender and ethnic roles usually assigned in blockbusters, reestablishing them in empowering ways that's always just a joy to see, blending that with a timeless feel that makes one realize something oddly melancholy. This film could've easily been released ten, fifteen, maybe even thirty years ago, and it'd fit in fine in tone and in quality. We should've got a Wonder Woman movie like this years ago, and that's a true shame. However, now that we finally have one, thank goodness it's this one.

Chris Pine is excellent as Steve Trevor; his chemistry with Gadot makes the romantic scenes really shine in a film where they could've easily been an afterthought. The rest of the cast is forgettable, but that's fine when you have Gadot and Pine grounding the film as well as they do. The only clear flaw of the film is the third act, when it unfortunately becomes, for a brief five minutes, a generic CGI slog-fest with dull visuals and boring action. Thankfully though, the rest of the film doesn't fall into the trap.

You can insult the other DCEU films as much as you want, but they've always nailed the iconography of these characters. Wonder Woman does that multiple times, but more importantly, it has strong character work and an engaging story to back it up for once. Gadot and Jenkins make a mighty team that delivered a quality, idealistic blockbuster with moments of awe, laughter, and emotion. Wonder Woman is... well, you probably guessed it... Wonderful. A-

And it takes place in a timeline separate from everything else that's happening in the universe, so it becomes it's own story. And it's really a character study on Diana, by having the origin story being the actual story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just rewatched this.  I have seen so many movies since Wonder Woman and i feel like it took away from the memories of Wonder Woman so I put myself through a 2+ hour movie for a second time.  Very good, I liked it more than Spider-Man homecoming.  One thing I noticed.  I liked all the slow motion stuff.  I feel like without the slo-mo during those particular sequences I would have not been able to see what was going on.  I felt like i got more out of it that way.

• Like 1

This is so much better than most aof the superhero stuff out there... certainly has so much more emotion than alnost all Marvel movies.

I really did not expect much from this... but I was really taken in with an emotional force I never expected from such a movie.

It is a 8.5/10 or 9/10 for me - the first act did not click with me very much. But once they reach London it is getting really, really great... and the last act is more mesmerizing than any final abttle I have seen over the last years.

Great casting and sets, great humour... and underneath it all a great way to handle the topics of war and human nature in a summer blockbuster flick. I at first had troubles how she accepts the Americans as the "good guys" but even that was addressed later on. 

What really works great is that we immediately would call her views on war "naive"... however, the way it is presented, this thought is followed right away by "but, fuck, she is right.... why are we so fucked up?".

Chapeau!

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

finally a dc superhero that i have an emotional investment to. the movie's greatest strength lies in it's strong character and well streamlined story.

also, i love love love that we get scenes where diana and steve just... talks. like, it's not plot related talks, just them being human and talk with each other??? and it feels authentic?? gal and chris works together very well, and it really lifts the whole things up.

one of my favourite of the year so far. A+

• Like 2

This movie was amazing. The acting is phenomenal. It does have some flaws, such as superfluous supporting characters, but the acting was just incredible! It even has some comic touches without being forces. But most of all, I loved its message. I can see why this movie caught on so well.

A

• Like 1

The No Man's Land sequence is one of the most awe-inspiring sequences in superhero cinema. Wonder Woman remains an incredibly fresh take on the origin story upon a third rewatch, thanks to strong performances, sweet action, and Jenkins' strong directorial voice. Still fantastic.

Reposting from the main thread:

On 6/3/2017 at 4:41 PM, MrGamer2558 said:

Finished seeing it an hour ago. It lived up to the hype. It was a little long and I can see some of the complaints people had (the slo mo overload was killing me), but it was so fucking good. Def a Top 5 comic book movie for me. The No Man's Land scene is up there with the airport scene in Civil War in terms of awesomeness. Going to see it again when I can. Strong 9/10. I was floored. 

Just rewatched this and it's definitely better than I remembered it. I figured I must've been missing something to not like it as much I should've, especially since I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to CBM. I'd been looking forward to the movie since it was announced and saw it on OD with my best friend (who generally dislikes CBM but agreed to go because I bought the tickets) and siblings. Unfortunately, my friend made a lot of comments about things she found stupid and my brother (5 years old) was bothered by the noise. So basically, it wasn't an enjoyable experience for me and it made me rate the movie lower than I should have. Watching it again alone helps a lot. I was giggling like a loon at a lot of the Diana/Steve scenes. :wub: Diana is amazingly awesome and her naivety is surprisingly endearing and Steve's sacrifice was also pretty emotional. No Man's Land! The humor works and the music is so good! Was able to take in the action and dialogue a lot more since I didn't have to comfort a 5 year old/ignore a chatty adult. Only negative is still the Ares fight because it's pretty hard to see. The other fight scenes were much better. I've definitely learned my lesson about who I watch these kinds of movies with. This went from 6/10 to 8.5/10 for me. Looking forward to JL and the WW sequel!

• Like 1

Likely one of the most important modern Comic movies made along with Deadpool, TA, X-Men 1, Spiderman, IM and TDK in changing the nature of the genre. 

Deadpool for R Rated Comic Book Films

TA for Team Up films and really bringing Comic Films Globally

X-Men 1 for being the start of the modern Day Comic Book genre

Spiderman 1 for its record success

Iron Man for starting the biggest Comic Book Universe.

TDK for its Dark Style and overwhelming success and becoming a modern classic.

Wonder Women really put to rest any issue over audiences accepting or embracing a female hero as a sole lead in a film. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I liked it but it was flawed which should be ok because a lot of superhero movies are flawed but the hype around this one was otherworldly 

The dialogues between the Diana and her crew was fantastic ( some very memorable moments ). the romance was executed perfectly , chris pine was divine . the scene after no mans land was very touching 

now here comes the bad side ( remember : a movie held in such a high regard should have very few )

Zero character development  , Diana ended the movie the way she started it , she did not change one bit . she was already wonder woman on the island which defeats an origins movie's purpose ( no Bruce Wayne , Tony Stark , Peter Parker , Jonathan Strange etc journey where we see how this person turned into this super hero ) , the other crew characters ( aside from chris pine ) might as well have not existed , they did not affect the story what so ever and their screen time was a joke 

The villains were written by a 7 year old ( in this case Zack Snyder ) , seriously though  what the fuck is wrong with DCEU bad guys ? the scene where general Ludendorff and the psycho chemist laugh like little kids behind the locked door when the generals are dying tells you all you need to know , and Ares ??? Don't even get me started on him , these characters are evil because they are just evil ( in their world absolutes exist , some are pure evil just because and some are pure good hearts ) you want to see a real villain ? go watch Civil War or TDK 

The action .... why the hell are they dancing ?  why is every move or punch or sword swing made to look stylish ? seriously look at her dancing her way through bad people . then there is the slow motion disease . every thing is in slow motion which means nothing stand out 

Finally , the plot holes 

Ares is a god , literally , he defeated ALL THE OTHER GODS  which makes him the most powerful entity in the universe and then diana defeated him with relative ease ( because she believes in love ) . good luck explaining how diana can't defeat future mortal villains in 3 seconds and why she would need the help of a few average super heroes 

Someone please save me and tell me what I missed and why i'm wrong , it is painful watching people fawning over a movie that I see not many things special about 

Overall it's a C  . Good but not THAT good 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BardCrank said:

Zero character development  , Diana ended the movie the way she started it , she did not change one bit . she was already wonder woman on the island which defeats an origins movie's purpose ( no Bruce Wayne , Tony Stark , Peter Parker , Jonathan Strange etc journey where we see how this person turned into this super hero )

Um... Did you miss that a large amount of the climax was in fact quite clearly centered around her character development? Seriously, Diana starts off the movie believing that Ares was responsible for all humanity's ills and that she could solve WWI by stabbing this one guy. She grows out of it and learns to accept humanity's nuances, good and bad. That's as clear a character arc as you can get. Whether you think its a good character arc or not is up to you, but you can't deny that it exists.

Also seriously, putting on a shiny superhero suit does not equal character development. You can start off a movie with your character in a superhero suit and still have them develop over the course of the film. Similarly, you can have a character put on their suit for the first time and not change a bit, character-wise. 

The villains were written by a 7 year old ( in this case Zack Snyder ) , seriously though  what the fuck is wrong with DCEU bad guys ? the scene where general Ludendorff and the psycho chemist laugh like little kids behind the locked door when the generals are dying tells you all you need to know , and Ares ??? Don't even get me started on him , these characters are evil because they are just evil ( in their world absolutes exist , some are pure evil just because and some are pure good hearts ) you want to see a real villain ? go watch Civil War or TDK 

That's literally the exact opposite of the entire point of the movie. 

Also Ares wasn't evil because he was evil. He literally spelled out that he only rebelled because he could see the evils and dangers in mankind and that none of the other gods would listen to him. Seriously, did you miss the entire final third or something? Ludendorff and Dr Poison also have their own motivations for their actions outside of 'we're super evil because!', although they're not exactly sympathetic and require a bit of subtler reading.

The action .... why the hell are they dancing ?  why is every move or punch or sword swing made to look stylish ? seriously look at her dancing her way through bad people . then there is the slow motion disease . every thing is in slow motion which means nothing stand out

Because it's an action blockbuster made to entertain people rather than present a realistic portrayal of combat. Do you not know how these work?

Finally , the plot holes 

Ares is a god , literally , he defeated ALL THE OTHER GODS  which makes him the most powerful entity in the universe and then diana defeated him with relative ease ( because she believes in love ) . good luck explaining how diana can't defeat future mortal villains in 3 seconds and why she would need the help of a few average super heroes 

I can think of a few reasons. Ares was weakened from fighting the other gods, the other gods might not have been that amazingly strong to begin with, Diana might have been designed with some special anti-god attributes, so on and so forth. It's not stated outright, but it's not too hard to read inbetween the lines.

• Like 1