baumer

IM3 Thurs (RTH) 7.6M....Gatsby 3.25 midnights

The balance has totally shifted now. Makes it quite funny that, as a forum, we still pay most attention to domestic numbers.

It is still the biggest market in the world and the studios get a higher percentage of revenue here than they do in the future biggest market (China). They supposedly only get around 25% of the revenue in China, which is brutal. Makes the numbers not seem so great over there.

• Like 2

The balance has totally shifted now. Makes it quite funny that, as a forum, we still pay most attention to domestic numbers.

Yeah, pretty much.  And it's only going to get worse (or better, depending on your point of view).

Shit, Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters has a sequel greenlit because it earned three times abroad what it earned in the US.  If this was five years ago, that wouldn't happen.

Yeah, pretty much.  And it's only going to get worse (or better, depending on your point of view).

It'll get worse. Conceiving stories to cater to as many different cultures as possible rarely makes for better movies.

• Like 1

It is still the biggest market in the world and the studios get a higher percentage of revenue here than they do in the future biggest market (China). They supposedly only get around 25% of the revenue in China, which is brutal. Makes the numbers not seem so great over there.

yeah but before if 25% of 10-30 million, now it could be 25% of 50-100+ million..

I wonder how much of the other 75% goes to the theater, and how much goes to the government.

For whatever reason, I still care the most about the DOM market.

It's easier to compare the performance of new releases in North America to older ones. The trouble with many OS markets is that they're so new.

• Like 2

Of course as its easier to track but there is going to be an increasing divergence where films will do so so in America and become all time hits in many countries and films being huge hits here in NA and doing rather small business overseas.

You will likely see this with Star Trek 2 this month, huge in NA rather small overseas.

When a film can do amazing domestic and overseas then you will get the 1.5 billion dollar films ...

This gets worse considering that, if it ends up around Deathly Hallows, it'll have worse legs than Iron Man 2. The fact that it added 3D helped this increase, but without 3D, the increase would be barely noticeable. Thor and Captain America will also get small bumps since they were already 3D... So yeah. Marvel's only BIG, like VERY BIG movie is Avengers.

• Like 1

Thor and Captain America will also get small bumps since they were already 3D... So yeah. Marvel's only BIG, like VERY BIG movie is Avengers. 

Um the film is heading for 1.2 billion.

If Im3 is not big, then everything this year will be puny in comparison then??

Or maybe you like to rephrase?

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

It's not as big domestically as some thought when it opened to 174M last weekend.

• Like 1

I'm not thinking 1.2b until I see how it handles this weekend OS.

I'm not thinking 1.2b until I see how it handles this weekend OS.

Considering the overseas weekdays its holding up quite well overseas.

If the film was going to collapse overseas it would have started last weekend or over these weekdays.

Just saying apart from ST in a few countries its another wide open weekend overseas.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

I agree I think we can call that part a bit bad but considering the fates of part 3 latley TA likely saved IM 3 a lot domestically.

I wouldn't listen too much to some people on this forum.

Some people here think if a movie doesn't make Avengers money, it's a flop.

• Like 1

Some people here think if a movie doesn't make Avengers money, it's a flop.

Cosidering this or THG series are the only movies in the forseeable future looking at 400 million, there is going to be a lot of "flops then"