druv10

Weekend actuals: STID $70.17M, IM3 $35.77M, TGG $23.94M

I dunno but your original post about Speilberg is stupid because first JJ made it as a tribute to SS and ET. And 2nd SS was even an EP on Super 8. If he was going to pull him aside why didn't he do it while production was in progress. Probably because he thought it was good...

Maybe he saw the final product and said "I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with you so clearly jerking off to my old movies and trying to rip off their magic. I didn't know you'd make such a pastiche."

Complaining about how he aped Spielberg for Super 8 has always seemed pointless to me. That was clearly the point of the whole project: Old school Amblin logo, Spielberg producing, set in the late 70's, kids and aliens, etc.

• Like 3

Homages to Spielberg are nothing new. Heck, people have been making them since the 80s. The difference is that SUPER-8 was actually a pretty good imitation. Back to STID: the 3D share was really low, right? That means the audience loss from the first isn't quite as bad (though it certainly lost audience).

Ugh..... Gatsby dropped more than IM3 and over 50. What a flop. :P

You can only squeeze so many dollars for a Baz project, lol.

This is Avengers money for him.

I can't help but smile everytime I see your sig.

Aw, thanks :wub: You're the second person to say that. More reasons for me to keep this sig for a long time  :D

Into Darkness had pretty good numbers, it's still going to end up with a $200 million+ gross and will be much more attended than most films in the franchise. It's performance is a bit underwhelming, but I wouldn't label it a flop or a disappointment by any stretch. As for why is is underwhelming I guess we can chalk up to (much) bigger than expected competition and the somewhat lacking marketing (not bad, just lacking in certain aspects most have already mentioned)

I just want to point out Pain & Gain has enjoyed a really nice rebound after that initial hit from IM3 and has had drops no higher than 35% since with some pretty solid weekdays. Definitely happy to see it will cross $50 million after all. Not so bad for a movie like that.

• Like 1

Back to STID: the 3D share was really low, right? That means the audience loss from the first isn't quite as bad (though it certainly lost audience).

Yeah it was. For crying out loud Gastby had a higher 3D share.

Onward and upward... The Hangover Part III and Fast & Furious 6 lurk just 'round the bend. Can't wait to see how next weekend breaks down. I'm definitely contributing to Furious 6's OD.

I don't know that I look for HO3 to be that well received this time around, FF6 yes.