Pacific Rim (2013)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just came back from watching this and WOW. People on here have a habit of over hyping movies they get to see before release. The movie flat out sucked. It had one good action scene in Hong Kong but everything else was just terrible acting, too much cheese and a storyline just like every other monster film. The scenes between the Chinese girl and the main character where just cringy as hell. The Australians really needed to go back to acting school.The only highlights of the film for me was the Honk Kong battle, Charlie Day and the 3D. Best 3D since Hugo. LIfe of pi had crap 3D regardless of what people say. Overall this is by far the biggest let down for me this year.D

• Like 3

It had one good action scene in Hong Kong but everything else was just terrible acting, too much cheese and a storyline just like every other monster film. The scenes between the Chinese girl and the main character where just cringy as hell. The Australians really needed to go back to acting school.

What do you expect? This movie was in 100% what it was supposed to be. A tribute to mech and kaiju movies. With a lot of cheese, which was good, it was a winks to audience saying 'we are not serious'.

• Like 2

Just came back from watching this and WOW. People on here have a habit of over hyping movies they get to see before release. The movie flat out sucked. It had one good action scene in Hong Kong but everything else was just terrible acting, too much cheese and a storyline just like every other monster film. The scenes between the Chinese girl and the main character where just cringy as hell. The Australians really needed to go back to acting school.The only highlights of the film for me was the Honk Kong battle, Charlie Day and the 3D. Best 3D since Hugo. LIfe of pi had crap 3D regardless of what people say. Overall this is by far the biggest let down for me this year.D

Lol, this is why I wouldn't be surprised if the legs aren't that great.

• Like 1

Pretty awesome if you ask me. Perlman and elba definitely stood out amongst the cast members but I generally enjoyed everybody in the movie. The action scenes were awesome, even though I would sometimes wonder why didn't they just use that weapon earlier. I also really enjoyed the mythology of this movie and hope they dive deeper into that with a prequel/sequel.

A-

I'm assuming you only need Kaiju DNA to go through the portal from the Earth side.  Also, since when can't clones become preggers?  :P

Those are hardly plot holes, but either way, I don't think lack of exposition matters at all in a film like this.

"Life found a way."

• Like 2

Unfortunately, there’s not much good that I can say about Pacific Rim, because its flaws are not only glaring, but stupefying.  On one hand it drops plot points like they were M&Ms spilling from a tipped-over candy dish. 

Hey, did you know that the Gypsy Danger is equipped with a giant sword? It really comes in handy if hitting the monster with a massive oil tanker doesn’t work.

On the other it is paint-by-numbers predictable, to the point that it’s almost impossible to fully engage with the goings-on, since you already see what’s coming. 

The brother died. Oh no.

The characters are all one-dimensional archetypes who, for the most part, fail to resonate.  And that is an absolute NO-NO for a major motion picture, especially one that – at least in word – is supposed to connect with the general audience.  Only Elba and the five year old girl manage to infuse any life into their characters, the other actors don’t even seem to try.  Or, as is the case of the two researchers and second-in-command, they try too hard and thereby made their characters come across as buffoons.  And that buffoonery had the aggravating effect of striping their scenes of any urgency, threat, or even meaning.  (By the way, it’s bad enough when a movie has one character that takes you out of the moment.  This movie has three.  THREE!  Not a good thing, GDT.  Not a good thing.) 

I wish I could say the special effects were tremendous, but since most of the fights scenes occurred at night, it was difficult to spot details consistently.  So I’ll just say that they weren’t bad.  And I often didn’t know something “cool” had happened until after it happened. 

See that big monster arm that just dropped to the ground. Yeah, the Jaeger did that.

If the powers that be had a better handle on how to execute it, this could have been two and maybe even three very good movies.  Instead it’s one terrible mess of a film.

• Like 2

This is what I posted on Facebook about it:

Pacific Rim was awesome. The acting and dialogue were mostly phoned-in, but not Micheal Bay movie bad. It also had a heart and some emotional scenes that crap like Transformers can't touch. The CGI was literally the best ever, it was shocking to see. Del Toro has an incredible visual sense, and he mastered the blockbuster scope even though he had never attempted a film of this size before. I will say that although the neon-filled nighttime battle in Hong Kong was monster movie perfection the daytime Kaiju attack on Sydney was incredible. (As was the initial Kaiju attack on San Fransisco, which was only breifly showcased in retrospect.) Seeing a passionately designed Kaiju tear through downtown Sydney in broad daylight, rendered in shockingly photo-realistic CGI of course, was fanboy coma-inducing. It just pumped me for Godzilla next year, also from Legendary Pictures, even more. I cant wait to see an assuredly awesome-looking Godzilla stomp through whatever he damn well pleases, made using the pinnacle of contemporary Hollywood special effect technology. I've been waiting for two decades! Considering the fact that it has an admittedly more talented cast than Pacific Rim, and that Frank Darabont wrote the final draft of the script, Godzilla will take Pacific Rim's scope and visuals and add more notable acting and dialogue. It will be amazing!

I enjoyed it even more the second time. I was less tired, so the action was clearer and alot better. I noticed how great the music was, and caught some jokes from the first time. Best blockbuster and second best movie of the summer behind This Is The End

• Like 3

What do you expect? This movie was in 100% what it was supposed to be. A tribute to mech and kaiju movies. With a lot of cheese, which was good, it was a winks to audience saying 'we are not serious'.

So that gives this movie a free pass for the bad acting and silly plot holes? It was a wink to audiences asking for 1 good action scene and a disappointing and quite frankly dumb finale. Had Michael Bay made this, you'd all be criticising this. A year from now, no-one will be giving this movie a grade A rating, just like every other overhyped movie that's only just been released.Elysium, its down to you to actually give us a decent movie. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 4

This is what I posted on Facebook about it:Pacific Rim was awesome. The acting and dialogue were mostly phoned-in, but not Micheal Bay movie bad. It also had a heart and some emotional scenes that crap like Transformers can't touch. The CGI was literally the best ever, it was shocking to see. Del Toro has an incredible visual sense, and he mastered the blockbuster scope even though he had never attempted a film of this size before. I will say that although the neon-filled nighttime battle in Hong Kong was monster movie perfection the daytime Kaiju attack on Sydney was incredible. (As was the initial Kaiju attack on San Fransisco, which was only breifly showcased in retrospect.) Seeing a passionately designed Kaiju tear through downtown Sydney in broad daylight, rendered in shockingly photo-realistic CGI of course, was fanboy coma-inducing. It just pumped me for Godzilla next year, also from Legendary Pictures, even more. I cant wait to see an assuredly awesome-looking Godzilla stomp through whatever he damn well pleases, made using the pinnacle of contemporary Hollywood special effect technology. I've been waiting for two decades! Considering the fact that it has an admittedly more talented cast than Pacific Rim, and that Frank Darabont wrote the final draft of the script, Godzilla will take Pacific Rim's scope and visuals and add more notable acting and dialogue. It will be amazing!

Oh please, yet another Michael Bay hater. Dislike Bay all you want but don't act like pacific rim was some emotional journey that shits on Bay's work because it really isn't true and is quite frankly getting very boring to read. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 3

This takes the cake for worst Australian accents I've ever heard in a Hollywood blockbuster. Honestly, the acting and the script is terrible and I don't care if it's not meant to be taken seriously, I was actually hoping all the characters would be killed off at the end because they were so annoying. The visual effects are breath-taking and the action scenes are beautifully directed but that's all it really has going for it. By the end of the movie I was just sick of it and waiting for the credits. I'm afraid the first Transformers movie is quite easily superior.C-

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 2

• Community Manager

So that gives this movie a free pass for the bad acting and silly plot holes? It was a wink to audiences asking for 1 good action scene and a disappointing and quite frankly dumb finale. Had Michael Bay made this, you'd all be criticising this. A year from now, no-one will be giving this movie a grade A rating, just like every other overhyped movie that's only just been released.Elysium, its down to you to actually give us a decent movie.

No. What gives a movie a free pass for bad acting (which IMO Pacific Rim didn't have at all) and silly plot holes (which a lot of movies have) is if I enjoy it. That's it. I can excuse anything as long as I'm having a good time. Yes-a movie can be dumb as hell but as long as I'm enjoying it, I don't care. A movie could have the best plot, the best characters but if it's boring, I'll hate it. To me, the most important aspect of a film is it's entertainment value. Pacific Rim has that. At least for me.

• Like 3

OK, so I watched it for the 3rd time, this time in IMAX 3D.  This wasn't shot for IMAX or 3D, but fuck me, I don't know if I can watch it any other way!

This is now my favorite movie of the summer.

I bought the score a few weeks before it came out and I enjoyed it enough despite not having any context.  But, every time that main theme kicked in, I started grinning and wanted to kick some ass.

• Like 2

I saw it IMAX 3D (a lieMAX but one of the biggest lieMAXes in the country), perfectly lit, sold out audience. No doubt that added to my enjoyment of the movie, because it's the best IMAX 3D experience I've ever had. The film just narrowly beats This Is the End as my favorite blockbuster of the summer. I need to see both movies again. 

• Like 6

So that gives this movie a free pass for the bad acting and silly plot holes? It was a wink to audiences asking for 1 good action scene and a disappointing and quite frankly dumb finale. Had Michael Bay made this, you'd all be criticising this. A year from now, no-one will be giving this movie a grade A rating, just like every other overhyped movie that's only just been released.Elysium, its down to you to actually give us a decent movie.

Thank you, I so agree. I felt exactly like you & Fanboy watching this. I thought I must have missed something at first when I came here and read users raves about it on opening day.

I'm very interested to see how this holds up next weekend. I really don't see it having good legs because I knew I wasn't the only one who watched it and felt this way. I think Elysium will be a lot deeper (or at least hope). It should definitely have better acting.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 3

Oh please, yet another Michael Bay hater. Dislike Bay all you want but don't act like pacific rim was some emotional journey that shits on Bay's work because it really isn't true and is quite frankly getting very boring to read.

The scene with Mako's younger self shits on Bay's entire filmography. He'd have an aneurysm if he tried writing something like that. He has no concept of it.

Also, It's my opinion. Don't like it? Tough shit. I'm not here for your attitude.

• Like 2

• Community Manager

The scene with Mako's younger self shits on Bay's entire filmography. He'd have an aneurysm if he tried writing something like that. He has no concept of it.

Also, It's my opinion. Don't like it? Tough shit. I'm not here for your attitude.

Yes, he probably would get an aneurysm if he tried to write something like that because he's not a writer. He's never even received a writing credit. So it might be your opinion but it's irrelevant.

• Like 5