Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Spoiler

Introducing present day Indy with divorce papers, mixing booze into coffee, looking miserable, and seeing son dead in Vietnam... yeah, real Indy vibes there. I wonder why Tom Cruise didn't wake up hangovered in a gutter in the beginning of the Top Gun Maverick.

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s absolutely nothing disrespectful about the portrait of Indy in this movie lol 

He’s being old is never a moral problem, it’s just what it is. Disrespectful would be pretending everything is the same, treat this old heroes as something immaculate is disrespectful, dehumanizing actually.

And he’s not overshadowed by Phoebe, literally every plot point involves Indiana, including her interests. It seems you’re way more pissed with her presence because structurally, she’s only there to help Indiana arc.

Being old with its trobes is okay but having that systemic portrayal of them full of bitterness,  brokenness, and regret is more the point there which is e.g. shown here: (or beginning of this..the editing is awful with mobile)

Well, I haven't seen the movie yet but can see quite a lot of details from the spoilers that portray a somewhat different picture than you say about Phoebe's role even though she goes a "positive" transformation during it.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Can we just save this whole “debate” on Indiana Jones in 2023 and agree this movie should have never been made when they still couldn’t get it out of production hell after over a decade? 

What else do we suppose to discuss in the Indiana Jones thread other than you know, the Indiana Jones movie 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Can we just save this whole “debate” on Indiana Jones in 2023 and agree this movie should have never been made when they still couldn’t get it out of production hell after over a decade? 

I'm not sure you could get everyone to agree "it should never have been made" about ANY movie, lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, didn’t know it was suddenly cool to bash Mangold??? Practically all of his movies before this have been generally well received, so I really don’t think he was the big problem…

Exactly now we hate James Magnold! I swear people around here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, von Kenni said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Being old with its trobes is okay but having that systemic portrayal of them full of bitterness,  brokenness, and regret is more the point there which is e.g. shown here: (or beginning of this..the editing is awful with mobile)

Well, I haven't seen the movie yet but can see quite a lot of details from the spoilers that portray a somewhat different picture than you say about Phoebe's role even though she goes a "positive" transformation during it.

There are precious few reviews that count Waller Bridge as a reason not to see the movie. I would say more than 80% of them praise her. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

this movie is elder abuse

Harrison Ford certainly didn’t think so and he might be more invested in the character than you are. What, did you also think Waller Bridge was shoved down your throat, like you seem to believe for Atwell in MI7 without probably having seen either movie?

10 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Harrison Ford certainly didn’t think so and he might be more invested in the character than you are. What, did you also think Waller Bridge was shoved down your throat, like you seem to believe for Atwell in MI7 without probably having seen either movie?

my showing is tomorrow , i don't see an issue with PWB, she could be the best part other than Ford

27 minutes ago, Xavier said:

There are precious few reviews that count Waller Bridge as a reason not to see the movie. I would say more than 80% of them praise her. 

To my understanding Waller Brigde does a good acting job but her character and its relationship with Indy especially in the beginning seems to be that what I criticized based on specific scenes and dialogue that I read and heard about it.

If you want to try to make this about some specific actress dislike issue, go ahead but you need to get gasoline from somewhere else for that bonfire.

29 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

To my understanding Waller Brigde does a good acting job but her character and its relationship with Indy especially in the beginning seems to be that what I criticized based on specific scenes and dialogue that I read and heard about it.

If you want to try to make this about some specific actress dislike issue, go ahead but you need to get gasoline from somewhere else for that bonfire.

PWB acting is great but the way character is written. Mangold tries to go for han solo ANH type arc and in the end you like her but but the journey to her getting there wasn't particularly excuted well .

instead of coming off a flawed or likable rouge ,she comes off cold and very selfish at points which can be quite grating  in some scenes.

Second half falls off Abit overall it's a solid Indy adventure and a good farewell to a beloved character.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, didn’t know it was suddenly cool to bash Mangold??? Practically all of his movies before this have been generally well received, so I really don’t think he was the big problem…

I'm generally really positive on Mangold. I'm really big on Walk the Line, 3:10 to Yuma, Logan, and Ford v. Ferrari, and I also have a big soft spot for Identity and Girl, Interrupted.

That said, having now seen Dial of Destiny, the panache that Spielberg brought to the preceding films is noticeably absent. It's not that Mangold's direction is bad - in fact, he actually feels really well suited to the film's more emotionally-driven moments and handles the action sequences adequately - but the film definitely feels like it's missing the inventiveness, whimsy, and "oomph" that the others ones had whenever it turns its attention toward action. I feel like this film would have benefitted from a more action-oriented director, especially since the script is so surface-level with the character-driven dynamics that are the bread-and-butter of Mangold's more successful efforts.

• Like 2

I disagree that Crystal Skull was easily the better movie. Dial of Destiny ain't great either but at least it felt less soulless to me. The problem is, the film is kinda boring and drags. It's better but good? Not in my estimation.

20 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I'm generally really positive on Mangold. I'm really big on Walk the Line, 3:10 to Yuma, Logan, and Ford v. Ferrari, and I also have a big soft spot for Identity and Girl, Interrupted.

That said, having now seen Dial of Destiny, the panache that Spielberg brought to the preceding films is noticeably absent. It's not that Mangold's direction is bad - in fact, he actually feels really well suited to the film's more emotionally-driven moments and handles the action sequences adequately - but the film definitely feels like it's missing the inventiveness, whimsy, and "oomph" that the others ones had whenever it turns its attention toward action. I feel like this film would have benefitted from a more action-oriented director, especially since the script is so surface-level with the character-driven dynamics that are the bread-and-butter of Mangold's more successful efforts.

This. Mangold IS genuinely great and knows his shit - there is a reason why Ford and company are still giving great performances and why I think some audiences are responding well to the film - but Spielberg is Spielberg. There is a reason why those first three films are so beloved, it's the crazy camera movements and quick wit in the actual filmmaking that make it work.

• Like 5