Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

At this point i'm more looking forward to the new TV show than the films. Partly because of that.... trailer... thing... and partly because even more than the theatrical films i associate Trek with the TV shows. Some of the best Trek is in the shows.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2016 at 4:50 PM, solaris said:

I don't think STID is nearly as loathed by the GA as it is by trekkers (myself included). Most of my friends who saw it really liked it. I guess if you don't re-watch Wrath of Khan on a weekly basis (like me), those groansome lines of dialogue lifted wholesale don't feel nearly as clunky.

Not me nor my family are anything close to being trekkers and yet we all enjoyed both of these Star Trek movies just fine, so you might have a point there.

Heck, I even thought this trailer everyone seems to hate was charming. I think it will do fine WW. A $500m target seems plausible.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Star Trek Beyond Delayed?

No footage at CinemaCon doesn't mean anything, but having Abrams/Pegg there and still not showing anything from the movie is somewhat weird. I actually won't be surprised if they do delay this to September and release it on the 50th anniversary weekend with a big marketing campaign. July is very crowded around Star Trek Beyond currently.

• Like 5

Wonder if the reaction to the previous trailer caused them to go back to the drawing board with their marketing campaign. The GOTG-style marketing doesn't lend itself well to everything. It's working for Suicide Squad, but something like Star Trek or Star Wars is ill suited for it.

This is all definitely...curious...as Spock would say. 

Even the posters/promo at Cinemacon have no real identity to them, just the title and some flares. 

And both the teaser and posters are once again minimizing the "Star Trek" in the title...as if Paramount's embarrassed by it! 

(Bad flashbacks of "Nemesis", where Paramount did the same thing.)

4 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Where could this go October/November 2016? 

I'm not even sure, there's basically no downtime between these studio tentpoles anymore