baumer

Tues #s RTH Catching Fire: 4, Frozen 2.4, Homefront 800K, Thor 700K

That's fantastic for Catching Fire. Hopefully it keeps some momentum going into the weekend so we can get another $30+ million weekend.

Cool, it slightly increased from Rth's estimate. ^_^

Frozen increased yesterday as well. Also want to go ahead and point out it was indeed a family film thing. Free Birds, Cloudy 2, and even DM2 fell 30%, 25%, and 8% respectively. Frozen's 0.2% dip essentially stayed flat.

• Like 1

Tangled was not that long ago, you sure there were no discount tuesdays at the time?

Anyway, it's one day, to discern WOM from one day is foolish. The drop has probably more to do with the family demographic.

I'm also not convinced that discount Tuesdays only became a thing a few years ago. Lots of movies from back in the day (for which we have dailies) increased on Tuesdays.

Posted by Rth on 10 October 2012 - 10:08 AM in Box Office Discussion (Please Hide Spoilers)

Couple of extracts from past posts about Canada & Tues business-----The US is all over the place, Cinemark for example have discount tuesday at selected locations (think it doesn't apply if tues is opening day and may not apply to first tues can't recall)Cineplex when they had US cinemas had in Colorado discount tuesday back in 2007 and some other areasCanada & Australia started discount tuesdays in the 80's, initially it was called half price tuesday, From memory Canada started it first out of the two, Over the years the discounting % varies greatly on whats on offer same with Australia(could be 30% off, 50%, 70% etc.With canada over the years different cinema chains and individual theatres have stopped /started the discounting (some times the stop start is selected theatres or cities, where as Australia for example has remained more consistent), Tuesday plays a big part across large majority of years.So whether at any particular point in time Tuesday was discounted or not depending where you are, it was still one of the prefered middays to go in Canada.I don't really have time of day for this but below gives you an overallWE % of WK, TU % WK2012USA 72%, 8%CAN 64% 13%2011USA 71%, 7% (wed 7%)CAN 63%, 12% (Wed 7%)2008USA 71%, 6%CAN 65%, 11%2006USA 71%, 7%CAN 66%, 10%2004USA 70%, 6% (wed 8%)CAN 65%, 12% (Wed 8%)2002USA 71%, 6%CAN 65%, 12%2000USA 71%, 7%CAN 65%, 12%1999USA 70%, 7% (wed 8%)CAN 65%, 13% (Wed 7%)------Canada has had discount tuesdays since 80's, over the years different cinema chains and individual theatres have stopped /started the discounting (some times the stop start is selected theatres or cities), Tuesday plays a big part.for example last week Tuesday compared to 10 years agoTue 20/6/12 all titles/% chg Tu from mon/%chg We from TuUSA -1% / -20%CAN +53%/ -43% tue mkshare CA 14% mon&wed 10%NA +10% /-22%Tue 21/6/02USA -4%/ 0%CAN +70% / -31% Tue Mkshare CA 12%, Mon 7%, Wed 8%NA +2% / -4%sometimes CA mkshare on Tue can go as high as double other days
  • Like 12

That's the post I was trying to remember from RTH.  So clearly it shows that discount Tuesdays in Canada play a huge part in the increases. 

• Like 1

The more I see this, the more ridiculous it gets.  I don't think I can re-watch TDKR now because this scene will just make me laugh.

I rewatch it all the time on HBO (Obligatory TDKR is on HBO mention).