filmnerdjamie

Weekend Numbers Smaug 31.4, AM2 26.7 Frozen/AH 19.1

I'm puzzled at how much better Anchorman is doing here compared the US, relatively speaking.

I think a big part of it is that Hustle already opened wide in Australia last week and therefore isn't competing so strongly with AM2 for the comedy dollars. Opening opposite AH in the U.S. (AH's limited release last week barely counts) probably meant more casual viewers gravitated to the one with the more familiar faces and the better pull quotes. Now I'm wondering if Paramount moved up AM2 precisely because they were spooked by AH.

Edited by Bob Violence

I'm puzzled at how much better Anchorman is doing here compared the US, relatively speaking.

I think a big part of it is that Hustle already opened wide in Australia last week and therefore isn't competing so strongly with AM2 for the comedy dollars. Opening opposite AH in the U.S. (AH's limited release last week barely counts) probably meant more casual viewers gravitated to the one with the more familiar faces and the better pull quotes. Now I'm wondering if Paramount moved up AM2 precisely because they were spooked by AH.

Plus Anchorman was never as big here relative to how it performed in the US. It was number 30 for 2004 in the US whereas it was number 94 here yet Australia was still its third biggest market.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/box-office-holiday-primer-newcomer-anchorman-2-8m-wednesday-sets-for-strong-40m-to-45m-5-day-opening-in-crowded-weekend-hobbit-3-day-bo-one-to-watch/

Anchorman 2: 8.7-9

Hobbit: 8.4-8.6

American Hustle: 6

Frozen: 5

Catching Fire: 8.5-10 (weekend)

Mr. Banks: 3

Dinosaurs: 2-2.3

• Like 7

I didn't trust Deadline with Nikki and I definitely don't trust this newbie.

Hell at this point unless they are official estimates I only trust Rth.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 1