filmnerdjamie

Daily Box-Office (12/31/2013) | FRZ 7.3, DOS 5.6, AH 4.6, SMB 4.1, SLWK 3.5, WOWS 3.4, AM2 3.2 (Rth)

Yeah... but it has no competition because there are no other family movies... all the girls in america are going to it because they don't watch college football... and it has at least a 75% 3D share.

I've never really understood the idea behind a films success being due to lack of competition. I mean, sure it makes sense... It's the only option for that demographic...I get that. However, the argument is flawed. It assumes that everyone within a demographic would go see a movie that day or week no matter what... I think the majority of the population only goes to a movie when they are drawn to it for whatever reason. It's not like people are being forced into theaters "now pick". Lack of competition does not guarentee success. Of course it can help, there's no denying that. But it's not the reason. Especially in today's market with so many forms of entertainment, people don't even need to leave there homes to watch a movie. (And in many cases it's cheaper.)If Walking with dinosaurs was the only family movie right now would it have the same numbers as Frozen? I highly doubt that. It would have better numbers, but it wouldn't be near what Frozen is doing. Kids want to see it, the parents hear it's good... So they go to the theater instead of redbox, or bowling... Or whatever.I don't mean to come across as contentious or start a debate. I know this topic has beenHashed out before. Just wanted to share what I thought. I haven't even seen Frozen... (Yet) Oh, and happy New Year!!!
  • Like 18

I've never really understood the idea behind a films success being due to lack of competition. I mean, sure it makes sense... It's the only option for that demographic...I get that. However, the argument is flawed. It assumes that everyone within a demographic would go see a movie that day or week no matter what... I think the majority of the population only goes to a movie when they are drawn to it for whatever reason. It's not like people are being forced into theaters "now pick".Lack of competition does not guarentee success. Of course it can help, there's no denying that. But it's not the reason. Especially in today's market with so many forms of entertainment, people don't even need to leave there homes to watch a movie. (And in many cases it's cheaper.)If Walking with dinosaurs was the only family movie right now would it have the same numbers as Frozen? I highly doubt that. It would have better numbers, but it wouldn't be near what Frozen is doing. Kids want to see it, the parents hear it's good... So they go to the theater instead of redbox, or bowling... Or whatever.I don't mean to come across as contentious or start a debate. I know this topic has beenHashed out before. Just wanted to share what I thought. I haven't even seen Frozen... (Yet)Oh, and happy New Year!!!

You bring up a good point.  If other options are more appealing, such as bowling or red box as you stated people will do that.

On the other hand there have been a number of times I saw a mediocre movie because nothing good was out.  I think that the impact of competition is at times overstated, but there are times when people decide to go to the movies and go to whatever sounds best.  I also know people who only go to a certain number of movies per month or year.  

• Like 1

I've never really understood the idea behind a films success being due to lack of competition. I mean, sure it makes sense... It's the only option for that demographic...I get that. However, the argument is flawed. It assumes that everyone within a demographic would go see a movie that day or week no matter what... I think the majority of the population only goes to a movie when they are drawn to it for whatever reason. It's not like people are being forced into theaters "now pick". 

I think most people(GA) go to the movies as a social gathering with family or mostly friends.

But the movies they choose to go are the ones they are drawn to at that time.

I think most people(GA) go to the movies as a social gathering with family or mostly friends.

But the movies they choose to go are the ones they are drawn to at that time.

I can agree with the fact that families do use the movies as a social gathering. In my experience, family gatherings happen no matter what, sometimes it's a movie... but only if there's a real interest. There's a mix of both types of movie goers, which is why there's no absolutes for why a film performs the way it does. It's not just WOM, it's not just competition. But WOM undoubtedly has a strong influence on bringing those families (like mine) away from the bowling alley and into the theater. 

Yeah... but it has no competition because there are no other family movies... all the girls in america are going to it because they don't watch college football... and it has at least a 75% 3D share. 

Ah, I'm glad someone posted this before a certain someone could go on his daily anti-Frozen tirade. I swear, I must have read the exact same thing several times a day for over 2 weeks now.

By the way, you forgot the part where the numbers will fall off a cliff after 1 more day. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

I've never really understood the idea behind a films success being due to lack of competition. I mean, sure it makes sense... It's the only option for that demographic...I get that. However, the argument is flawed. It assumes that everyone within a demographic would go see a movie that day or week no matter what... I think the majority of the population only goes to a movie when they are drawn to it for whatever reason. It's not like people are being forced into theaters "now pick".Lack of competition does not guarentee success. Of course it can help, there's no denying that. But it's not the reason. Especially in today's market with so many forms of entertainment, people don't even need to leave there homes to watch a movie. (And in many cases it's cheaper.)If Walking with dinosaurs was the only family movie right now would it have the same numbers as Frozen? I highly doubt that. It would have better numbers, but it wouldn't be near what Frozen is doing. Kids want to see it, the parents hear it's good... So they go to the theater instead of redbox, or bowling... Or whatever.I don't mean to come across as contentious or start a debate. I know this topic has beenHashed out before. Just wanted to share what I thought. I haven't even seen Frozen... (Yet)Oh, and happy New Year!!!

Good post. And welcome to the forums, buddy! 

• Like 1

HAPPY NEW YEARTuesFRZ 7.3,DOS 5.6,AH 4.6,SMB 4.1,SLWK 3.5,WOWS 3.4,AM2 3.2

Slight hangover. But good to see some amazing numbers :DGood to see that Frozen held better than I expected. I was expecting it to behave like last week but wow.And go SMB. Looks like 50+ by Thursday.
  • Like 2

Hi walking along the wharf , the sea is so blue ugh but I wouldn't put a pinkie toe in it its freezing ! You guys might think the temp is pitch perfect for island weather , well at least tourists are enjoying themselves I've only been to see the hobbit these past 3 weekends becoz 1 I love it but 2 there's nothing else worth my $ watching No way in hell I'm going to see madea , I don't do animation so no frozen. Nothing I want to see or would consider is at my theatre not SMB not WOWS not 12AS not AH nothing I'm hoping there's something new this weekend or could be hobbit n4 not that I mind per say but it would be nice to be able to join the convo about other movies just so I can say I love it or I hate it etc