Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

Apes isn't batman. I think you guys are worrying over nothing. Reeves was WB's first choice to replace Affleck. If reviews came out like this for a batman movie two weeks early I think you can almost guarantee 150m opening weekend. 

Of course it should make more...but will audiences be "bored" by a Batman movie like his Apes movies and Let Me In?    Reeves isn't very flashy.   I happen to

love his style, but WB might get itchy.   Weren't they the ones who insisted on cutting up SS to change how it played?

10 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Of course it should make more...but will audiences be "bored" by a Batman movie like his Apes movies and Let Me In?    Reeves isn't very flashy.   I happen to

love his style, but WB might get itchy.   Weren't they the ones who insisted on cutting up SS to change how it played?

I mean anythings possible right? But you would hope they learned their lesson after the reception to BvS and SS. 

I personally think there isn't a better director out there for a batman movie right now. And if WB can't see what they have with him and for some reason split, then they deserve whatever backlash they have coming to them. 

Again, I don't see anything like this happening. I feel like they're super excited to him on board as they should be and War is just another example of what a great job he can do with batman. I think we're more worried about numbers then they are to be honest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The Burton and Nolan movies are pretty much equal in my book. Very small edge for Batman Begins over all the others. But I think Reeves could definitely top all of them. He supposedly wants to focus on the detective side of Batman, which is a great approach. Plus I really like the quiet aspect of his Ape movies. If he applies that to Batman, I'm sure I will enjoy it very much. 

I doubt Warner would release a nice little detective story for Batman, sounds like commercial suicide, just like this Apes movie.

3 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Of course it should make more...but will audiences be "bored" by a Batman movie like his Apes movies and Let Me In?    Reeves isn't very flashy.

Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins wasn't flashy either (in my opinion). Hopefully that's not the feel Warner is going for.

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Sure would be nice if the Academy could remove their heads from their butts and give Serkis a nomination. His work on these movies is incredible. 

You mean in lead actor category ?

Because if you mean in visual effect the academy does not decide who get the nominated, the producers of the movie send a list of a maximum of 4 people directly involved for the visual effect (usually people with visual effects supervisor credit on the movie something Serkis does not have), it was a decision from the producers (or studio) in the past to not nominate him (if he was an eligible choice), not the academy.

Because he must be involved in the craft itself, not just a coordinator or at a producer/exec/business/idea level (say Steve Jobs type of involvement probably would not do it) for those.

If you are talking about a special achievement award, I think those you do not get nominated, you just win them.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You mean in lead actor category ?

Because if you mean in visual effect the academy does not decide who get the nominated, the producers of the movie send a list of a maximum of 4 people directly involved for the visual effect (usually people with visual effects supervisor credit on the movie something Serkis does not have), it was a decision from the producers (or studio) in the past to not nominate him (if he was an eligible choice), not the academy.

Because he must be involved in the craft itself, not just a coordinator or at a producer/exec/business/idea level (say Steve Jobs type of involvement probably would not do it) for those.

If you are talking about a special achievement award, I think those you do not get nominated, you just win them.

I mean in Lead Actor. His performance as Caesar in all three movies is just as good as any of the work I've seen from other actors in 2011, 2014, or 2017. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I mean in Lead Actor. His performance as Caesar in all three movies is just as good as any of the work I've seen from other actors in 2011, 2014, or 2017. 

From Lucas fighting with them to consider nominating the lead puppeteers of Yoda in acting, to not one voice roles being ever nominated, actor do seem to not want to nominate acting that is not on film maybe they are not at ease knowing was it made by the actor himself or by artist in post-prod or know that the job is not has hard or something.

That said a category like Actor in a Leading Role is always really competitive, with often over 7 good candidate.

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

From Lucas fighting with them to consider nominating the lead puppeteers of Yoda in acting, to not one voice roles being ever nominated, actor do seem to not want to nominate acting that is not on film maybe they are not at ease knowing was it made by the actor himself or by artist in post-prod or know that the job is not has hard or something.

That said a category like Actor in a Leading Role is always really competitive, with often over 7 good candidate.

Steve Zahn is brand new to this side of the acting business and he said he feels it's actually more difficult work. I am extremely impressed with the visual effects in these movies (best CGI ever), but ultimately the most impressive thing is that the technology is showing the full emotional output of Andy Serkis...and it's a remarkable performance by him. 

• Like 1

I doubt Warner would release a nice little detective story for Batman, sounds like commercial suicide, just like this Apes movie.

I hope they'll allow Matt Reeves to do what he wants. We've never seen Batman as the Greatest detective on the big screen, so this would be a great approach for a small time superhero like Batman. And I think Matt Reeves has some creative control, since he took over the directors chair from Affleck and threw out the original script.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I hope they'll allow Matt Reeves to do what he wants. We've never seen Batman as the Greatest detective on the big screen, so this would be a great approach for a small time superhero like Batman. And I think Matt Reeves has some creative control, since he took over the directors chair from Affleck and threw out the original script.

Fantastic film.  Saw it Thursday and I am still thinking about it. Watched Rise and Dawn again on Friday. Brilliant trilogy.

I was hoping for a 65M OW, so I'm disappointed. But, I think this could get an Oscar nom for BP.

I hope you're right. "War for the Planet of the Apes" is arguably the most artistic tent pole film released in years. It is entirely driven by tone, atmosphere, and visuals. There are only two battle scenes in the entire film, and the last battle scene is more of an after though, since Reeves is completely focused on Caesar.

This was a brilliant conclusion to one of the best trilogies ever. And Matt Reeves made a film that would appeal to an audience of the 1960's or 70's. But today's audience has a horrible attention span, and are constantly plugged into the internet. I'm shocked that I'm even able to sit down and enjoy a film like this as a millennial.

1 minute ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

But the visual effects people are mostly responsible for his performance. He doesn't deserve a nomination for doing some of the work.

Uh, no it's not responsible for his performance. Go ask Matt Reeves, the director of the film.