Impact

Best visual effects-2014

gravity had a lot of continues shots for the effects team to work with, it deserved it Oscar.

Nothing in Gravity is "real" except the comedians and the "Born again" sequence on the beach at the end. Even their suits and bodies were entirely CG in some shots with their faces integrated in post (Being totally replaced by CG doubles in wide shots notwithstanding).

When you see Bullock flying barefeet in a long shot, the whole station environment is full CG.(Even Bullock's legs were CG manipulated at times)

So saying "Gravity's effects are just landscapes and space" is, at best, uninformed.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Gravity's visual effects were genuinely unprecedented and worked on literally for years. I don't doubt Interstellar will look great, but it won't be a match for Gravity in that regard. And it will need to have some truly amazing stuff up its sleeve in order to be more impressive than DOTPOTA.

• Like 5

Nothing in Gravity is "real" except the comedians and the "Born again" sequence on the beach at the end. Even their suits and bodies were entirely CG in some shots with their faces integrated in post (Being totally replaced by CG doubles in wide shots notwithstanding). When you see Bullock flying barefeet in a long shot, the whole station environment is full CG.(Even Bullock's legs were CG manipulated at times) So saying "Gravity's effects are just landscapes and space" is, at best, uninformed.

Yeah I saw the behind the scenes footage and it looked like they just basically had a silver cylinder to work with. Pratically the whole film was CGI. I love his long shot though, he had an epic shot towards the end of Children of Men which was amazing. I remember being shocked because I thought the guy was just some average filmmaker but after that one scene I knew he would get recognition at some point.
  • Like 1

If Interstellar gets great reviews it's winning this. They almost always go with the most Oscar-friendly movie. The first Apes lost out to Hugo.

I'm actually watching Hugo right now, and I'm actually not against the fact that it won.

The films so far this year that I've been the most impressed with visually have been

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Guardians of The Galaxy

Noah

I have no doubt Interstellar will get nominated, as well as the Hobbit. Exodus probably will as well, but I don't think it's a lock yet

I think when all is said and done the nominees with will be:

Apes

Interstellar

Guardians

Maleficent (I think there'll be more deserving movies, but this is so a typical Academy pick)

The Hobbit

I think it'll be between Apes and Interstellar.

Among films that have been released:

Edge of Tomorrow

Guardians of the Galaxy

Transformers 4

Godzilla

TASM2/Maleficent/DOFP

Nod goes to Guardians

I don't see how Apes isn't nominated

Edited by FTF
  • Like 2

Agreed! Which is why I have a hard time with the whole, "Hollywood only produces crap!" arguments. Clearly, this summer showed that blockbuster production and critical acclaim can coexist with each other. These movies may not have "broken out" the way we wanted them to, but they're making a shitload of bucks overseas and enough at least to continue with their respective franchises. This has been an outstanding summer for both original and adapted sci-fi. While I'm not having any sort of break down over it, every time I see the GOTG estimate drop, I get all antsy and nervous about it dropping below $40mil. I really don't want it to drop more than 56%.

Surprised in the lack of love for Edge of Tomorrow. Guardians is my front runner. All the worlds, landscapes, and designs were beautiful. I think Apes is over hyped. The CGI Apes were great, but after that their wasnt much else. CGI Apes isnt enough for me. Now if it wasnt mocap, but was all CGI like the tiger in LoP, thats different. Same with Godzilla. After the creature effect, the rest felt like your usual CG destruction. GOTG is my frontrunner. The worlds were really beautiful and you could tell they took time with it rather than just making a Sim City 2000. Even the space scenes werent black backgrounds with white dots, but beautiful cosmic clouds that just stuck to me. Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

If Interstellar gets great reviews it's winning this. They almost always go with the most Oscar-friendly movie. The first Apes lost out to Hugo.

Seriously? that's ridiculous.

I don't see how Apes doesn't win this, even if it doesn't take home the win, I bet it will still end up having the best visual effects of the year. The Academy rarely get the visual effects Oscars right anyways.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Seriously? that's ridiculous.

I don't see how Apes doesn't win this, even if it doesn't take home the win, I bet it will still end up having the best visual effects of the year. The Academy rarely get the visual effects Oscars right anyways.

They arguably did the last two years. Funny how they both coincided with the best Director winner.....