Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I still don't believe that Pirates 4 budget. Yes, Depp got a lot of money but Cruz isn't exactly among the best paid actresses and they replaced Bloom-Knightley with a couple of unknown. There was ONE scene which required special effects (the mermaids). If it did cost that much, then most blockbusters these days must cost at least two times as much as their reported budget.

• Like 1

SHAYHIRI!

To be fair I saw the first one 10 times in theaters. I never see movies more then once, but avatar was different. So there are people out there who will. In fact most of my friends never even saw Avatar in theaters, it was repeat viewings from those who did that powered it to an insane gross. Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro

Regarding movie budgets, we never get the whole story. Only financial studio executives really know what s what and we are left with heresay ...

it is rumored that worldwide box office only accounts for about 25% of a movie's profit..the other 75% comes from ancillary revenue..that means almost no movie really flops  :lol:

only R.I.P.D and Mars Needs Moms really flopped though.. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Pirates 4:

as mentioned, I didn't watch it, so I asked someone who did:

he meant more real ships at once, less digitalized, but not without digitalized ships either

Edited by terrestrial

it is rumored that worldwide box office only accounts for about 25% of a movie's profit..the other 75% comes from ancillary revenue..that means almost no movie really flops :lol:only R.I.P.D and Mars Needs Moms really flopped though.. :ph34r:

I think it varies movie to movie, if you make a classic that people will want a lot of repeat value of than you could bet a lot. So for something like Frozen I would believe it, that'll sell a lot of dvd's and blurays for a very long time as well as merchandise and soundtrack sales, etc.However something like Neighbors probably won't get a lot of ancillary revenue compared to theatrical.
  • Like 1

Record holder as far as I know it is the Cars franchise:

made $1b via BO

Merchandise.... till 2006 (or was it 2008?) made $8b, since then $2b a year. Hence the reason to freshen the franchise up per 'Planes'

Cameron on the Avatar sequels:

There’s nothing I need to say as an artist about the state of the world and human affairs that I can’t do through the lens of the ‘Avatar’ universe. We’ve had a couple of years to think through the story arc of the next three films, and every day that goes by, I believe in the stories I’m telling more and more. We’re not coming out of the block fast to capitalize on the last film.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/20th-century-fox-jim-gianopulos-1201285695/ (The Cameron/Avatar stuff is buried towards the end of the article, which is a big feature on Jim Gianopoulos)

• Like 4

Cameron on the Avatar sequels:There’s nothing I need to say as an artist about the state of the world and human affairs that I can’t do through the lens of the ‘Avatar’ universe. We’ve had a couple of years to think through the story arc of the next three films, and every day that goes by, I believe in the stories I’m telling more and more. We’re not coming out of the block fast to capitalize on the last film.http://variety.com/2014/film/news/20th-century-fox-jim-gianopulos-1201285695/ (The Cameron/Avatar stuff is buried towards the end of the article, which is a big feature on Jim Gianopoulos)

This is why I love James Cameron :wub:

Cameron on the Avatar sequels:

There’s nothing I need to say as an artist about the state of the world and human affairs that I can’t do through the lens of the ‘Avatar’ universe. We’ve had a couple of years to think through the story arc of the next three films, and every day that goes by, I believe in the stories I’m telling more and more. We’re not coming out of the block fast to capitalize on the last film.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/20th-century-fox-jim-gianopulos-1201285695/ (The Cameron/Avatar stuff is buried towards the end of the article, which is a big feature on Jim Gianopoulos)

Yay I believe James Cameron, but he needs to fix up on that dialogue for the sequels, cause it was weak in the first one. 

We are fighting for our freedom and our land and no human can take that away from us!!!

Posted Image

This is the type of shots that made me feel like the Navi's really exist when I was watching the movie, even though my brain kept telling me that those were just CGI.

I bet this kind of weird feeling played a big role in its out-of-the-world WOM. People came back because they wanna have a taste of this weird feeling one more time, which rarely happens on the big screen.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

This is the type of shots that made me feel like the Navi's really exist when I was watching the movie, even though my brain kept telling me that those were just CGI.

I bet this kind of weird feeling played a big role in its out-of-the-world WOM. People came back because they wanna have a taste of this weird feeling one more time, which rarely happens on the big screen.

Did you watch it in 3D?  It was awesome!  Only one I watched in that format.

• Like 1

My biggest grip with Avatar detractors is the bitching about how unoriginal the plot was.

I always wondered why this aspect was brought on so much because you can say that about tons and tons of movies.

Very few films can claim to be original, fuck, Star Wars was so successful because Lucas studied a guy (The Journey's Hero by Joseph Campbell) who found out that there weren't that many stories to tell ... basically every culture told the same stories for centuries and the story of a  man in an estranged world that he finally embraces  is one of them.

Why Avatar was so much criticized for being a Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas rip off ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

My biggest grip with Avatar detractors is the bitching about how unoriginal the plot was.

I always wondered why this aspect was brought on so much because you can say that about tons and tons of movies.

Very few films can claim to be original, fuck, Star Wars was so successful because Lucas studied a guy (The Journey's Hero by Joseph Campbell) who found out that there weren't that many stories to tell ... basically every culture told the same stories for centuries and the story of a  man in an estranged world that he finally embraces  is one of them.

Why Avatar was so much criticized for being a Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas rip off so much ?

Cameron rubbed a lot of people in the wrong way because

1) An original movie with no fanbase taking the Highest Grossing Film of all time title instead of Darth Vader, Batman, etcs that got huge fanbases.

2) A chick flick being the Highest Grossing Film of all time in an era that male is the donimating gender and in a business that products for males is the dominating type.

3) A project called "doomed-to-fail" by a lot of media and critics, turned out to be the highest grossing film of all time.

And Cameron did the rubbing in the wrong way twice.

Plus we've entered the era with some many mediums that negativity or you can say "hate" often got magnified through them.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

Cameron rubbed a lot of people in the wrong way because

1) An original movie with no fanbase taking the Highest Grossing Film of all time title instead of Darth Vader, Batman, etcs that got huge fanbases.

2) A chick flick being the Highest Grossing Film of all time in an era that male is the donimating gender and in a business that products for males is the dominating type.

3) A project called "doomed-to-fail" by a lot of media and critics, turned out to be the highest grossing film of all time.

And Cameron did the rubbing in the wrong way twice.

Plus we've entered the era with some many mediums that negativity or you can say "hate" often got magnified through them.

I want to add one more:

4) It are never the best (qualitie wise) movies that make the most money.