Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Where was The Avengers 2.7B? So you are saying that Avengers had poor 3D visuals?

There is no 3-D apples/apples comparison for Avatar.

Avatar was sold on the whole film being nearly all 3-D for it's whole run time. Avengers and every other 3-D movie since only has 3-D in portions of the film. 

Denying that 3-D was the sole reason that made Avatar what it was is intellectually dishonest. 

As for it's DVD/BR sales....I see what must be plenty of buyers remorse cause the used places always have them on hand. People purging them out of their private collection cause it's not worthy keeping for repeat viewings at home. 

If Avatar 2 has a reanimated Stephen Lang chewing a cigar while kicking tons of thundersmurf tail and saying things like we're fighting terrorism with preemptive terrorism = freedom I love the smell of freedom in the morning USA! USA! USA! I'll definitely see it.

01ba1a44f982.gif

And it better fucking be a cigar instead of coffee this time.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

I had the chance to see Avatar in REAL 70 mm IMAX 3D and it was a religious experience.

I physically WAS on Pandora, I swear I could touch the trees and animals and everything, the level of detail Cameron put in EACH frame is staggering.

There is no 3-D apples/apples comparison for Avatar.

Avatar was sold on the whole film being nearly all 3-D for it's whole run time. Avengers and every other 3-D movie since only has 3-D in portions of the film. 

Denying that 3-D was the sole reason that made Avatar what it was is intellectually dishonest. 

As for it's DVD/BR sales....I see what must be plenty of buyers remorse cause the used places always have them on hand. People purging them out of their private collection cause it's not worthy keeping for repeat viewings at home. 

Well its dishonest if you say sole reason like BKB does so I am not being dishonest.

If Avatar 2 has a reanimated Stephen Lang chewing a cigar while kicking tons of thundersmurf tail and saying things like we're fighting terrorism with preemptive terrorism = freedom I love the smell of freedom in the morning USA! USA! USA! I'll definitely see it.

01ba1a44f982.gif

And it better fucking be a cigar instead of coffee this time.

Lang's character is the typical type of pure evil villain like those in old-school action movies. One-demensional, but badass.

Edited by vc2002

Lang's character is the typical type of pure evil villain like those in old-school action movies. One-demensional, but badass.

You can be pure evil without being cartoony as hell, but I kinda enjoyed him despite all his dumb lines.  Hopefully hes in the sequels a lot more because hes the only character I mildly care about.

It was the sole reason Neo

71a.png

You are a broken record. How many times does it have to be said a movie doesn't make 2.7B on 3D alone. Hits 4 quads+repeat viewings. So you have proof that every ticket sold was for the 3D? Well one wasn't thats mine, so your theory is already wrong. lol

It's amazing a few months ago we passed the 5th Anniversary.   I think it will drop domestically but it's worldwide potential espeically with China is through the damn roof.  As for the sequels, this is a massive project for James.  He's never shot back to back to back like this.   I'm not surprised he pushed it back.  Everyone knows he can be a perfectionist with his ideas so I'm sure he's getting the writing process right with all his co-writers.  I'm very interested to see how the story progresses from here.  Pandora is a vast sci-fi world that we only touched the surface of.  

Edited by filmscholar

Then it'll suck without watching it in 3D and you know this.. What would be the point other than you're just saying you'll watch it in 2D cause it's ME.. :P 

No, I wear glasses. It's difficult to have two sets you know. The last time I watched a movie in 3D was in 2012.

I watched the movie because my sister said it was incridible. While we were watching it, we were into the story and the characters.

How do haters explain it in here: "being weird". 

The way people speak as if Avatar was a movie from Transformers franchise and you CAN'T like/watch it for ANYTHING else but 3D is SO disgusting.

:puke:

Edited by xSabrinax
  • Like 2

Why do people take the 3D appeal as almost like an insult. I enjoyed the first movie a lot, it's one of my favourites and one of the reasons wasanbecause it looked amazing to me in 3D. I also liked the message about the environment and the overall story but the beautiful world that was created looked wonderful in 3D and it is still the one movie I would use as an argument for 3D being a genuine benefit to the world of movies.

3D isnt an insult to the movie or a knock on its success, it's an advantage that goes hand in hand with it's other positives.

It became the biggest selling Blu-Ray of all time because moviegoers wanted to replicate that movie going experience with this movie right down to the 3D at home..

and they thought they'd do this by buying a 2d Blueray disc? :unsure:

• Like 2

My post was about what made people go to theaters. I bet you did not go to the theater because you heard Avatar had really intricate characters with a beautiful story that will make you root for them. Everyone went to Avatar because it was one of those in-theater experiences.

I went then into the theater for 2 main reasons:

1. It's a Sci-Fi - at that time I really was waiting for a new one

2. James Cameron. I hate Titanic, I love Terminator. Was more then curious to see a new take on a Sci-Fi by him

Not all people do watch trailers

e.g. my son only sees the ones shown before a movie he watches in the cinema, to not get spoiled..

He decides via summary, genre, involved artists and directors and so on which movies to watch and which not. For the same reason he stays far away from each movie related forum

I do watch usually one or 2 trailers or - preferably - a behind the scene thingie

You have weird friends.. I don't buy into this seeing a movie like AVATAR for the romance and characters.. They're a lot of other movies you could see for that factor alone and AVATAR wasn't one of them.. It was clearly an FX driven movie that won the general public over with the 3D.. Now something like TITANIC??? Yeah, I could buy into your friends seeing that movie for the romance an characters... Just not AVATAR and I'm not hating either before you level me..

I think the romance thingie could be better explained via caring for the characters, their interactions... The romance shown was way not so sugery like in Titanic (shudder), and as such way more enjoyable for people like me, who do not like romance as a genre in general.

Plus at big parts of the movie the girls were the main kicking-a... characters... lots of reasons why also girls / women might have want to watch it... and when asking males to accompany them, to state that reason might be not successful ;)

3D.. had a part (how big no one will know for sure), but see e.g. China, where speculants took and take away the home from so many with no protection at all for the non-rich population,... there were reasons for tons of discussions about some governmental decisions around that movies release details there.

Sorry, but this particular movie sold the 3D Visuals to those 4 Quadrants you speak of... You don't know what your talking about just like the rest of you and the herd and it's been debated a 1000 X over and it's old now and yet so obvious it was true...

Funny how often you seem to think you're the only and final judge, especially as you seem to miss so much research

I keep saying this, why would Avatar become the biggest selling blue ray release of all time if people only watched it for '3d visuals'???

Especially as - at least here in Europe - there were tons of Blu-Rays without 3D

You can't deny that the 3D had something to do with the succes. It was only a factor but I did play his role. I mean avatar is the only movie I know that came on the news, they were speaking about the new evolution to 3rd, new ways of film experience and in belgium that was a factor. I mean the news normaly never speaks about movies but with avatar it was like on the news for 1 week and than when it set records again. So yeah a great film, with enovation and a huge hype, credits to cameron!

Wasn't the only one, depending on the TV-station partly late....

Not denying the 3D part, but I think it is overexxagerated by some.

What some or a lot might not be aware of:

in the past it was said ~ 3% of the people (world) can not see 3D, but only 2D. I happen to be one of those.

Taht means to see all like a postcard in RL too, not only in a cinema

1st time watching the movie in a 4k Real 3D or so I went with someone who likes a certain cinema for some reasons.

Around 15 minutes in I saw... something. I started to see the 'air' between people on screen and things. Can't explain it right, it's too strange. People tell me an arrow came out of the screen and passed them, I saw it come out .... a few meters

I tried Avatar out with different quality 3D cinemas and 2D. It works for me only with the really good 3D cinemas (we don't have IMAX in a reachable distance), 2k... gives me headache and worse but no 3D.

I got more then curious and started to read a lot about that theme, reactions,... including news in India, .... not only Europe / US....

I read repeatedly about people suffering during the movie

It's said now ~ 15% of the people worldwide are seeing 2D to not really 3D in varying ability, as I wasn't the only one

The quality of 3D seems be a bit special

So we have the ones who were disappointed by the 3D experience bcs. feeilng unwell, the ones who like or love 3D and were happy with the result and the ones who were still formulating their new experience = a lot og plus and negative buzz around the movie for varying reasons like also around 15% at e.g. IMDb were partly really agressive about the humans presented badly, like the company / earth government (confusing a private security with governmental soldiers) were justified to displace the inhabitants... As in really angry. Also about the movie is  insulting about marines

Lots of religious comments too.

Oh, and don't forget those 'Dancing with the Wolves' comparisons, sometimes / too often rather... lively discussions (btw, IMHO mostly poorly done)

In the sum with the BOs.... the buzz got them on the radar of news-outlets, including the Chinese manipulations...

The sole reason? People seem really to have short memories, see also above

Take a rather sharp look at which ones get sold.

There are 2D Blu-Ray versions, versions that included only some (8? 15min too?) minutes of longer movie, and another Blu-Ray verion that has additional to the longer version ~ 45min more filmed scenes (partly unfinished) like were Trudy schools the fighters in how to bring down a helicopter....

It became the biggest selling Blu-Ray of all time because moviegoers wanted to replicate that movie going experience with this movie right down to the 3D at home..

Looking into the TV-screens sales numbers / percentages of 3D able TV-screens... can not be a reason for the majority, as at the time of the 3D release only a minority of people owned 3D able TV-screens (and still are in the minorty)

and they thought they'd do this by buying a 2d Blueray disc? :unsure:

:hi5:  

;) 

• Like 1