Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

hmm who cameron can choose for his avatar movie?

I see alan silvestri since cameron likes to work with ancient colaborator.

SAdness for a very very compositor on my big 5 with John williams Alan silvestri Jerry goldsmith hans zimmer..

It's great we've got True Believers in psychoanalysis, but Freud was debunked in the 1970s when, finally, people started looking at his insane claims and finally saying, "Prove it."

Word count of all of my posts here combined < word count of any one of the diehards in the past few pages.

I followed AVTR from 2008 all the way through watching the SE DVD back in late 2010.  I was a hugely interested fan because of VFX (my field), the hype, the box office, and I was between jobs and trying to copy the success of 'Secret History of Star Wars' with a comparable book on Cameron's movies.

So just imagine how surprising it is for me to return to the land of AVTR four years later and see that this hilariously backwards historical revisionism.  AVTR is now being portrayed as some combination of Titanic and MBFGW: just a humble 'lil movie that caught everybody by surprise. 

There is one surprise with AVTR: the degree of its success.  But that was no more of a "surprise" than POTC, TDK, TA or any other Hollywood tentpole that plays to the right of the bell curve.  AVTR wasn't part of a franchise, but franchises hadn't yet taken over and that debit was easily offset by the promise that it was the start of a franchise.  James Cameron's brand name, which has far more clout than that of any leading man, was as much a credit as "from Marvel Studios", and, most of all, the expertly-crafted 3D mystique.

SJWs are outraged that I mocked Cameron for moving to the Whitest-of-Whitey-White Countries in the World, and that I've debunked their bogus historical revisionism with facts....rather than pretending that Cameron really is some Man For the Brown People and just barking declarative statements as "arguments".  Every link I provide proving the insane hype for AVTR elicits more rage, rather than a "Thanks for the info!"

Rage away.  I'm still not going to lie for you.

See this is the problem with your thinking. People who regularly post on the internet, write articles etc only seem to get their information out of what the internet gives them. MBFGW earned its money through great WOM among your middle aged and above audiences, those of which don't tend to post on sites like this, no wonder it feels like that little humble movie because those that saw it and made it a hit aren't going to be heard on the internet, same goes for Titanic and ultimately, this.

You need to stop letting the internet decide how people thought about movies, if I did that I would be led to believe that the majority of people preferred Pacific Rim to transformers (some people on this site actually believe this), no-one likes Bad Boys 2 (a popular movie to the GA), Ted 1 wasn't that well liked and Scott Pilgrim is one of the best comic book movies of all time LOL.

its 75m, this was calculated and debated to death using the best info available back on BOM and everyone settled on 75m

Yeah I don't believe that figure for shit, That would indicate that it sold the same amount of tickets as TDK, a film that earned 225m less just one year prior. 3d doesn't add that much to a movie, even if its a 100% 3d share.

His family's lawyer confirmed it was him.

Damn.

He scored the first movie I ever saw in theaters, The Land Before Time.

R.I.P. to an incredible musical genius.  :sadno:

A huge HUGE loss. Avatar may not have been his best work but parts were still genius. IMHO there's no other that can write music with such emotional resonance. He's done some of my all time favorite soundtracks. The sequels won't be the same without him. :(

Yeah I don't believe that figure for shit, That would indicate that it sold the same amount of tickets as TDK, a film that earned 225m less just one year prior. 3d doesn't add that much to a movie, even if its a 100% 3d share.

Not to mention TDK had IMAX.

Lol, gotta love fanboys

81% of Avatar's gross came from 3D tickets(64% regular 3D, 17% IMAX), 19% came from 2D tickets.

According to the National Association of Theater Owners, the national average ticket price for the fourth quarter of 2009 was $7.61 for 2D, $10.00 for 3D, and $14.58 for IMAX.  Do all the math and it comes out to 75m.  If you use 2010 average ticket prices for the portion that Avatar made in 2010, it comes in slightly lower. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2728&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm

Edited by Ozymandias

I think AVATAR was indeed one of Horner's best scores. I love, love, love the entire album, and in fact, when I first saw the film, the music was a huge part of what made the movie so appealing to me. May he rest in peace. :(

Edited by cochofles

This description belongs to movies opened to massive numbers and then bad WOM gave it poor legs, not a movie opened to only 77m and then had a 10X multiplier.

Not realy, I mean in the second world war they also let people think that judes were bad. And would the Belgium people or the american people have a crazy leader we would have made the same mistakes...

If you bring someting enough in the media people will like it. Play a song 1 time, you can say meh.. Hear it 15 times and people will start to like it. It's just how humans work :)

Not realy, I mean in the second world war they also let people think that judes were bad. And would the Belgium people or the american people have a crazy leader we would have made the same mistakes...

If you bring someting enough in the media people will like it. Play a song 1 time, you can say meh.. Hear it 15 times and people will start to like it. It's just how humans work :)

52197-picard-facepalm-meme-big-BHIG.jpeg

• Like 3

So sad... Does it mean that the film will be delayed further? I wonder who James Cameron will find to replace James Horner... Could it be Steve Price?
I could see a few possibilities, Price being among them. David Hirschfelder and Mychael Danna could be others

Lol, gotta love fanboys

81% of Avatar's gross came from 3D tickets(64% regular 3D, 17% IMAX), 19% came from 2D tickets.

According to the National Association of Theater Owners, the national average ticket price for the fourth quarter of 2009 was $7.61 for 2D, $10.00 for 3D, and $14.58 for IMAX.  Do all the math and it comes out to 75m.  If you use 2010 average ticket prices for the portion that Avatar made in 2010, it comes in slightly lower. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2728&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm

Fanboy? Lol I couldn't care less how many tickets Avatar sold, it doesn't effect my life and going by the info you've posted, all I can really say is you Americans really do get ripped off for watching 3d movies. In the UK we pay about an extra 10-15% max for a 3d ticket, you lot are paying more than 30% more, that's ridiculous.

TDK isn't at 75m. You have to factor in IMAX boost for that one just like you have to factor in 3D and IMAX boost for Avatar. My calculations in the past came up with something like this:

TDK:  71-72m

• Like 2