Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Tele, what are there qualifications.  Do they have access to studio admissions and hard data?  No they do not.  Don't tell me there estimates are better than others that have stated at 85 to 97. Because they are doing adjustments that lean to your side on the lower end on avatar sales.  Estimates are not facts.  It's all hypothetical and until they can be proven without a doubt to be accurate.  I'm going with the90 to97 m range number.  75 m doesn't equate to 811m adj. 3d share was higher but you could say it's basically someone paying for1.5 to 2 tickets when they pay for each premium 3d purchases. 

Of course it's all estimates. But again, using Mojo's own figures, Ozy's breakdown was much more precise than just taking the final unadjusted number and dividing by average ticket price (which is where that 97m figure comes from). Your last sentence only reinforces my point: a high 3D share artificially inflates estimated ticket sales when you only use average ticket price as your data point. 

6 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

HP what do you feel will be the max in Japan if everything  goes in Cameron's favor? And welcome to the avtr forums. 

Titanic adjusts to about $220 million and Avatar $130 million using current exchange rates. If Avatar 2 improves and dazzles audiences again, ideally we're looking at Titanic level numbers or even higher in Japan. The Japanese are rather fickle when it comes to Hollywood films, but Cameron has proven he has what it takes to attract every demographic. He just needs to do so at a higher level for the sequel if he wants to set records again. Frozen proved that those legendary kind of numbers ($200+ million) are still possible in the modern era of Japan. TFA will end up around $85 million final gross (actually very impressive and more than double what the usual Hollywood blockbuster makes in Japan nowadays), but it's still going to be far short of Avatar let alone Titanic and Frozen (true box office monsters). 

Kal u are considered a troll and a joke everywhere u go. You just spout off a bunch of shit and never have anything to back it up. When you say that avatar has outsold Star Wars in terms of merchandise, are you out of your freaking mind? Star Wars is the king of merchandise. Avatar hasn't even outsold Pixar in terms of merchandise. If you're going to claim something ridiculously bold like that show me a link, show me a newspaper article, anything,. If you can show me anything like that it says it is a merchandising king I will send you a gift certificate for $25 from visa. That's my challenge to you. If you can't I am NOT expecting anything in return. Just send me something that proves that Avatar has sold more merchandise than Star Wars or cars from Pixar and I'll send you a $25 gift certificate.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I worked out using exchange rates from December 2009 to now that Avatar would have made around 417m less overseas with todays rates, it too me ages to work out. The expanding market woukd have cancelled that out Imo.

Did you include the ticket price inflation?

And i am declining your weather clause in our bet. If we were talking about opening weekend you might have a leg to stand on, but you're talking about the overall growth. Since when does weather have anything to do with an overall growth? And if you want to use weather as a crutch, if you want to get out of the bed you can easily say that somewhere in Nepal or Sweden or Kazakhstan, there was some kind of adverse weather there that caused avatar to drop. So no thanks buddy. Be a man, get some balls and just do it straight up.

• Like 1

As much as I'd like to say I have, I have never even seen any kind of Avatar merchandise (toys, school supplies, novelizations). God, I wish I could find an Avatar action figure. I would buy the heck out a Jake and Neytiri action figure set, complete with a thanator for her and a leonopteryx for him.

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

As much as I'd like to say I have, I have never even seen any kind of Avatar merchandise (toys, school supplies, novelizations). God, I wish I could find an Avatar action figure. I would buy the heck out a Jake and Neytiri action figure set, complete with a thanator for her and a leonopteryx for him.

I've definitely seen Avatar toys, or at least action figures of na'vi people. 

7 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Nobody except Excel (and for all I know maybe even he's changed his mind). :lol: 

edit: none of your suggested movies will do it. Maybe SW8, but even that's a long shot, I think

I'd give SW8 a pretty good chance to break the record. 

And Excel's 225m predict for BvS could happen. Though... Not a record. 

• Like 1

Here's one article that says that SW and Cars are king of merchandising and Avatar is HOPING to join them one day, but right now, brands like Simpsons have WW sales of mor3e than 8 billion.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2010/jun/15/avatar-merchandising-twentieth-century-fox

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I saw them back in the day. But yeah, nothing to remotely compare with SW (even before the Disney purchase and announcement of new sequels, SW merchandise still sold well).

• Like 1

When Avatar comes out in 2018 or 2019 and Kal loses the bet, I'll pm him my address and then I'll wait for him to tell me that there was a sandstorm in Syria that muted the gross or that it was really windy in Indonesia and that stunted the gross there too.  He'll find some way to spin it, because Kal is the worst kind of loser, he's like Excel, runs away instead of taking it like a man.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

When Avatar comes out in 2018 or 2019 and Kal loses the bet, I'll pm him my address and then I'll wait for him to tell me that there was a sandstorm in Syria that muted the gross or that it was really windy in Indonesia and that stunted the gross there too.  He'll find some way to spin it, because Kal is the worst kind of loser, he's like Excel, runs away instead of taking it like a man.

Has excel even showed his face yet?

• Like 1