My first thought after finishing: “now that is a beautifully told story"

Yeah it's pretty basic but Cameron knows how to make you care

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

On my most recent rewatch of Avatar

My first thought: “my god this is hideous"

My first thought after finishing: “now that is a beautifully told story"

Yeah it's pretty basic but Cameron knows how to make you care

and I agree with this which maybe why Avatar disappointed me because it was the first time I could remember that he didn't make me care, or at least, as much.  I'll just consider it a hiccup and say the next one, if we get it :P, will be just fine :) 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Zeitgeist successes, what do you mean by this?

Look. Nothing is touching Avatar. Not Avatar sequels and not anything else. It will remain the highest grossing film of all time for a good 15-20 years

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Look. Nothing is touching Avatar. Not Avatar sequels and not anything else. It will remain the highest grossing film of all time for a good 15-20 years

Avatar made so much money that you think it's position as #1 highest grossing film of all time is unbreakable, it's reasonable to think that. What's a zeitgeist success? (never heard the phrase)

Edited by IronJimbo

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What's a zeitgeist success? (never heard the phrase)

It basically means a film becomes a cultural phenomenon, widely embraced by the general public (including those that rarely go to theaters) on a level way beyond just a big blockbuster. 

10 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

hopefully that's not what he's going for.

Avatar looks pretty dated visually but it holds up because it is A+ storytelling

Indeed.

Storytelling is the area in which Cameron has pretty much no peer.

Interview with Randall Frakes sometime in the last 2 years.

He had a plan to hire good screenwriters in teams of two to develop each script, using the TV sitcom model to get a lot done simultaneously, but since it is Jim’s vision, and he is going to direct it, he has to make it his own, so he wound up rewriting all the scripts himself (why it took so long to get to filming the sequels!).

Wonder how long Jim spent

When he was given the green light to develop the AVATAR sequels, he called me up and asked if working on the sequels would disturb my ethics (Jim can be cuttingly funny). I told him not if we could work a non-violent resolution into one of the sequels. He said we might be able to do that for the last one. So I came on board as a story consultant.

A non-violent resolution to Avatar 5? Sounds interesting.

http://www.jamescamerononline.com/randallfrakes.htm

• Like 2

More casting news, this time for a new character called Varang.

gettyimages-665499440_-_h_2017.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avatar-sequels-add-game-thrones-actress-oona-chaplin-1015206

Game of Thrones actress Oona Chaplin is heading to Pandora.

The actress will star in James Cameron and 20th Century Fox's four Avatar sequels, it was announced during CineEurope in Barcelona.

Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington are returning for the sequels, which will beginning hitting theaters in 2020.

Though plot is being kept under wraps, Chaplin will play Varang, a strong and vibrant central character who spans the entire saga of the sequels. Cameron said that each of the four sequels will be able to stand alone, but will together create a saga.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

More casting news, this time for a new character called Varang.

gettyimages-665499440_-_h_2017.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avatar-sequels-add-game-thrones-actress-oona-chaplin-1015206

Game of Thrones actress Oona Chaplin is heading to Pandora.

The actress will star in James Cameron and 20th Century Fox's four Avatar sequels, it was announced during CineEurope in Barcelona.

Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington are returning for the sequels, which will beginning hitting theaters in 2020.

Though plot is being kept under wraps, Chaplin will play Varang, a strong and vibrant central character who spans the entire saga of the sequels. Cameron said that each of the four sequels will be able to stand alone, but will together create a saga.

Nice. I suppose she will be Na'Vi...right? I am very curious as to what she'll do. One of the things I look forward to the most in these sequels is seeing other female Na'Vi beside Neityri and Mo'at. 

Also from the deadline link.

Pocho De Pochaon Jun 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Remember when James Cameron directing a sequel to the legendary Alien was a horrible mistake? (Yes, I am that old) or when there was no way Terminator 2 could live up to Terminator 1? Or when Titanic was going to flop and ruin his career? Or when Avatar was going to be the biggest most ridiculous flop of all time? Or when “The World Of Avatar” in Disney World was something nobody asked for and no one would care about it? (currently at 4 to 6 hours lines)

You people never learn. Avatar 2 will be great, I can guarantee that. At the very least a better blockbuster than most of the transformers, batman vs superman, ninja turtles, mummies, godzilla and king kong crap movies we’ve been getting. That’s all we should really ask of Avatar, it’s a blockbuster after all.

Keep doubting James Cameron, it’s been happening since he started working in the film industry.

Well said Pocho De Pocha, well said.

• Like 4