Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

9 hours ago, vc2002 said:

I think the Glassless 3D version will be in very limited theaters like the 120fps version of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. It won't do much for the boxoffice.

I assume it will cost a lot to install the new projector. Theaters already spent a lot upgrading to 3D projectiona couple of years ago, and 3D's fading means their investment are not resulting into the ideal outcome they wished (or Cameron promised because Cameron actually talked a lot of the theater owners into upgrading to 3D before Avatar's release), so this time for this glassless 3D projection, they will be very skeptical and conservative. It's gonna be a hell lot more harder than last time, for Cameron to persuade theather owners to take the risk.

9 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I think you're probably right, though when there's an actual press release with technical info it'll be easier to determine whether it's a huge financial or technical hassle. 

I was super excited when I first saw the news article but I re-read it a couple of times and it has no source. Until Jim confirms it we can't be sure of anything.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I was super excited when I first saw the news article but I re-read it a couple of times and it has no source. Until Jim confirms it we can't be sure of anything.

I see why you stopped posting fake Cameron quotes.

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

I see why you stopped posting fake Cameron quotes.

I've never posted fake quotes that I know of, that was you! I stopped because I was told by Tele to take the Cameron worship down a notch.

bAriYY7.png

yeah glasses-less 3d would work for some people but if it's the same price I don't think more people will watch in 3d just because they aren't glasses.  I think the same amount that want to see it in 3d will see it in 3d regardless.

I, and some other people won't, but that wont' affect the gross at all since I still watch it in 2d :P 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 75live said:

yeah glasses-less 3d would work for some people but if it's the same price I don't think more people will watch in 3d just because they aren't glasses.  I think the same amount that want to see it in 3d will see it in 3d regardless.

I, and some other people won't, but that wont' affect the gross at all since I still watch it in 2d :P 

Then there are some who will watch all 3 versions.

5 hours ago, a2knet said:

If not for the first Avatar sequels, then for last ones this technology could have become feasible.

If early sequels succeed big, theater owners might risk taking a chance.

Avatar 2 - 2020, Avatar 3 -2021....... Avatar 4 - 2024, Avatar 5 2025.

I think Avatar 4 will be far more likely to be the first 3D film without glasses, rather than Avatar 2.

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

"There's a very good reason why it turned out to be four sequels. Having read all four of them, I think they're absolutely extraordinary and worth the wait. These films are very much about the peril of this beautiful planet, and (James Cameron) is continuing the same themes of greed and callousness of the corporations and plight of the indigenous people. At this point after a long and very satisfying career, I can't believe it's been 40 years, but anyway, I'm very excited to be able to work on these four stories. I can really, really appreciate it." -Sigourney Weaver

How can you bet against $3B WW?! Market Growth is greater than exchange rate loss.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

"There's a very good reason why it turned out to be four sequels. Having read all four of them, I think they're absolutely extraordinary and worth the wait. These films are very much about the peril of this beautiful planet, and (James Cameron) is continuing the same themes of greed and callousness of the corporations and plight of the indigenous people. At this point after a long and very satisfying career, I can't believe it's been 40 years, but anyway, I'm very excited to be able to work on these four stories. I can really, really appreciate it." -Sigourney Weaver

How can you bet against $3B WW?! Market Growth is greater than exchange rate loss.

In other words James will continue to espouse the same philosophy that runs through all of his movies in varying degrees. A pro environmental message, a seething disdain for corporate weasels who only care about chasing the dollar regardless of the damage and cost, strong female leads and the inevitable love story. I'm very curious to see how this is carried out over FOUR movies, you can't run the same play four times over and expect solid results which leads me to believe that he has a few trick plays up his sleeve to keep things fresh. 

Also food for thought - how much Na'vi will be spoken in these movies? we all know that excessive use of subtitles won't fly with audiences, will humans play a larger role than expected? we know they'll be back Earth needs that precious resource to survive so...more conflict is in store for sure. 

Edited by Deuce66

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/disney-world-pandora-avatar-theme-park.html

"And while the company has been seemingly apprehensive about the land’s prospects, Disney has already earmarked two expansion plots for an additional attraction and an elaborately themed sit-down restaurant. "

By the time I've saved enough money to visit America there will be real life na'vi (made by Jim's latest research) wandering the park.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/disney-world-pandora-avatar-theme-park.html

"And while the company has been seemingly apprehensive about the land’s prospects, Disney has already earmarked two expansion plots for an additional attraction and an elaborately themed sit-down restaurant. "

By the time I've saved enough money to visit America there will be real life na'vi (made by Jim's latest research) wandering the park.

It's a miracle the land got built. If plans for it had materialized even just a year later down the pipeline, there's probably no way it would have ever happened. As soon as Disney got LucasFilm, they had their Wizarding World of Harry Potter killer and there was no need for an Avatar land. But thankfully it was already too far along to be worth stopping. I think it's fantastic it did happen because say whatever you want about Avatar but there's just no denying that Pandora is one of the all time best movie worlds ever created, which made it a match made in heaven to bring it to life in a high budget theme park land. It's some rare amazing Disney theme park luck that it actually exists. 

• Like 2